Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Finally got out detecting, dug some BUCKET LISTERS thumbs down ID HELP TOO grinning smiley

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Finally got out detecting, dug some BUCKET LISTERS thumbs down ID HELP TOO grinning smiley
October 21, 2018 10:30PM
Tom and I were able to get out and check out a remote site that we researched in the spring. A site that predates the gold rush by at least 20 years, and had nothing to do with the Spanish, but apparently it was used for a while. There weren't a ton of targets there, but everything you dug was old, not a single pull-tab, no clad, interestingly no bullets or shell casings either thumbs down nothing newer than the 1850's.

The first bucket lister was a cast tongue and grove eagle buckle! I dug the male part, and five feet away I dug the female part. Somehow, I lost the female part sad smiley The female buckle shown above it in the group shot is smaller, and was broken in two parts, and dug in two digs, but they fit together perfectly so they must go together. Also dug a broken tongue, so must be another eagle to match it out there, and below that is a thin female buckle part that's all mangled up.

My second bucket lister was a decorative powder flask (one side only), also shown is a pewter spoon (pretty rare to find these in California):

Is the piece next to it a sword or knife scabbard? Here's a close up of both sides next to a wheat penny:

This early Eagle on an Anchor Navy button was all crudded up, but I could see a glint of gold gilt left, so I used lemon juice to clean it, and am very happy with the results!

Is this a sword hilt? confused smiley Cleaned up nicely with lemon juice thumbs down

Little sash buckle kind of decorative item:

Found this token, it's a large size, thought it was a large cent when first dug, but it turns out to be considered the first token issued in California!

[tokencatalog.com]

Some misc finds. There were a ton of tools dug at this site, axe heads, chisels, and other misc tools. I dug a ton of lead and other small bits not shown.

HH,
Cal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2018 04:57AM by Cal_cobra.
Re: Finally got out detecting, dig some BUCKET LISTERS thumbs down
October 21, 2018 10:55PM
You guys found a great site!
October 21, 2018 11:14PM
Great digs Brian.----Were you able to use the E800 on this trip & if so, what coil(s) and settings?
BUCKET LISTERS thumbs down
October 22, 2018 12:43AM
Some super nice finds there Brian. Impressive relics. Cool ad token. Did you leave anything for Tom?

Also curious if you were swinging the M-Kruzer or the EQ800.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: BUCKET LISTERS thumbs down
October 22, 2018 01:06AM
Gonebeepin' Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some super nice finds there Brian. Impressive reli
> cs. Cool ad token. Did you leave anything for Tom?
>
> Also curious if you were swinging the M-Kruzer or
> the EQ800.
>
>
> Rich -

Yeah, did Tom find anything with his "obsolete" EX 2 & Bandito???----Where yah at Tom?grinning smiley
October 22, 2018 01:09AM
Nice play-by-play. You did well yesterday Brian.

I got some goodies too. Brian left a couple items for me, haha. I will add in my finds tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2018 01:10AM by Tom_in_CA.
October 22, 2018 01:28AM
Crosby Wrote:
> You guys found a great site!

Thanks, hope we can get together Thanksgiving weekend thumbs down
October 22, 2018 01:29AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Great digs Brian.----Were you able to use the E800 on this trip & if so, what coil(s) and settings?

I used the EQ800 with the stock coil. Field2 is my preferred relic mode, stock settings. There's not a ton of iron at this particular site. I may try the Multi Kruzer there next time thumbs down
October 22, 2018 01:31AM
Gonebeepin' Wrote:
> Some super nice finds there Brian. Impressive relics. Cool ad token. Did you leave anything for Tom?
>
> Also curious if you were swinging the M-Kruzer or the EQ800.
>
> Rich -

Thanks Rich, Yeah used the EQ800, and Tom did just fine.

BTW I did have the new White's shovel on this trip and it folded like a cheap suit on me, and the ground wasn't particularly rocky, no tree roots, not clay, just normal California soil. I hope they have some kind of warranty.
October 22, 2018 02:17AM
Really nice finds Brian. Looks like you discovered a nice spot.
October 22, 2018 03:03AM
Nice haul of relics Brian thumbs down
October 22, 2018 03:16AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Thanks Rich, Yeah used the EQ800, and Tom did jus
> t fine.
>
> BTW I did have the new White's shovel on this trip
> and it folded like a cheap suit on me, and the gro
> und wasn't particularly rocky, no tree roots, not
> clay, just normal California soil. I hope they ha
> ve some kind of warranty.

Was this Whites' Ground Hawg shovel ? (sampson style)

Rich

October 22, 2018 03:21AM
Great hunt Brian. I'm really happy with the way the 800 is performing for me also. Hard to decide which to hunt with between the 800 and the MMK isn't it? They both have things I like about them for hunting old lots. Just getting cool enough around here to start hitting some ghost town sites.
October 22, 2018 05:02AM
Oregongregg Wrote:
> Really nice finds Brian. Looks like you discovered a nice spot.

Thanks Gregg. This is one of several camps around this area that we've been researching, we're looking forward to going back.
October 22, 2018 05:02AM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> Nice haul of relics Brian thumbs down

Thanks Wayne, looks like you're onto a great new site too thumbs down
October 22, 2018 05:05AM
Gonebeepin' Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks Rich, Yeah used the EQ800, and Tom did just fine.
> >
> > BTW I did have the new White's shovel on this trip and it folded like a cheap suit on me, and the ground wasn't particularly rocky, no tree roots, not clay, just normal California soil. I hope they have some kind of warranty.
>
> Was this Whites' Ground Hawg shovel ? (sampson style)
>
> Rich

Yep it was that one. I like that it's a little longer then the sampson or the lesche shovel that I have, but thought it would hold up a lot better. Might just be a bad one, hopefully White's takes care of it.
October 22, 2018 05:07AM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> Great hunt Brian. I'm really happy with the way the 800 is performing for me also. Hard to decide which to hunt with between the 800 and the MMK isn't it? They both have things I like about them for hunting old lots. Just getting cool enough around here to start hitting some ghost town sites.

For sites with tame to mild dirt, it's a toss up! Mineralized soil the EQ800 is the natural choice, sea of nails and the nod goes to the MMK. Their both fun machines to use no matter what, it's nice to have choices thumbs down
Re: Finally got out detecting, dug some BUCKET LISTERS thumbs down ID HELP TOO grinning smiley
October 22, 2018 04:20PM
Brian, lots of history there--what if they could talk---keep up the good reporting.
Re: Finally got out detecting, dug some BUCKET LISTERS thumbs down ID HELP TOO grinning smiley
October 22, 2018 04:45PM
Nice digs!

Yes sword Hilt..

I dont think that's a scabbard piece though..looks more like a trim off something.There really would of been no way to slide a bade into that object to begin with as its riveted.It looks more to me like a piece of trim that was attached to leather

Nice token!!! congrat's

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 23, 2018 03:55AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Gonebeepin' Wrote:
> -----
> > Cal_cobra Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > Thanks Rich, Yeah used the EQ800, and Tom did
> just fine.
> > >
> > > BTW I did have the new White's shovel on this
> trip and it folded like a cheap suit on me, and th
> e ground wasn't particularly rocky, no tree roots,
> not clay, just normal California soil. I hope the
> y have some kind of warranty.
> >
> > Was this Whites' Ground Hawg shovel ? (sampson s
> tyle)
> >
> > Rich
>
> Yep it was that one. I like that it's a little lo
> nger then the sampson or the lesche shovel that I
> have, but thought it would hold up a lot better.
> Might just be a bad one, hopefully White's takes c
> are of it.

You many already know that Lesche has those Sampson T-handled shovels in two lengths, 31" and 36". Being tall, I find the 36" is nice as it is long enough to use as a walking stick on uneven ground and side hilling.

Rich -

October 23, 2018 03:59AM
doc holiday Wrote:
> Brian, lots of history there--what if they could talk---keep up the good reporting.

It sure would be interesting if they could talk, there has to be a great story there. To be honest, this site turned out totally different then we anticipated, but not in a bad way.
October 23, 2018 04:01AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Nice digs!
>
> Yes sword Hilt..
>
> I dont think that's a scabbard piece though..looks more like a trim off something.There really would of been no way to slide a bade into that object to begin with as its riveted.It looks more to me like a piece of trim that was
attached to leather
>
> Nice token!!! congrat's
>
> Keith

Thanks for confirming it was a sword hilt, it would've been something had the entire sword been there. Yeah I see what you're saying about that other piece, wonder what it was.

Thanks for looking!
October 23, 2018 04:09AM
Nice digs Brian. Love those tokens. Ok Tom lets see your pictures.

El
October 23, 2018 04:16AM
Gonebeepin' Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> -----
> > Gonebeepin' Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > Cal_cobra Wrote:
> > > ----------------------------------------------
> --
> > --
> > > -----
> > > > Thanks Rich, Yeah used the EQ800, and Tom did just fine.
> > > >
> > > > BTW I did have the new White's shovel on thi
> s
> > trip and it folded like a cheap suit on me, and
> th
> > e ground wasn't particularly rocky, no tree root
> s,
> > not clay, just normal California soil. I hope t
> he
> > y have some kind of warranty.
> > >
> > > Was this Whites' Ground Hawg shovel ? (sampson
> s
> > tyle)
> > >
> > > Rich
> >
> > Yep it was that one. I like that it's a little
> lo
> > nger then the sampson or the lesche shovel that
> I
> > have, but thought it would hold up a lot better.
> > Might just be a bad one, hopefully White's takes
> c
> > are of it.
>
>
> You many already know that Lesche has those Sampson T-handled shovels in two lengths, 31" and 36".
> Being tall, I find the 36" is nice as it is long enough to use as a walking stick on uneven ground and side hilling.
>
>
> Rich -

I have the Lesche Sampson 31", I like it, but your right the 36" would be better as you say it works as a walking stick, or whatnot and it saves you from bending over to dig too. Hopefully White's gives me a replacement, but the Lesche seems to be more sturdy. .
October 23, 2018 04:19AM
Elbert Wrote:
> Nice digs Brian. Love those tokens. Ok Tom lets see your pictures.
>
> El

Hey El !! It's a neat advertising token. Tom got some nice finds too thumbs down
October 23, 2018 07:11AM
October 23, 2018 01:45PM
Very nice!

HH
Mike