Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox Threshold control

Posted by Des D 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox Threshold control
August 30, 2018 06:15PM
Just wondering, if many of you use a Threshold hum with the Equinox and your other detectors?

It's Preset is 0 = Off.

Are we missing a trick here?

Or is it a blessing that its Off as a Preset in Park, Field & Beach Modes?

Me...I like to hear a Threshold most of the time that's if the particular detector model has the feature?
It helps to focus my mind and concentration to have a 'mild hum' going especially with headphones on.
I also use a Threshold when not using headphones in wide open spaces....pasture fields etc.

Without a Threshold I find that I can get bored easily and then just plod along and become impatient and careless in my sweeping waiting for a 'beep'
I'm positive I've missed some finds running around like that?

I like to hear it 'cut out and back in again' after passing over a rejected target and it also helps with ferrous recognition as it can 'prolong' the audio signal sound/s.
Re: Equinox Threshold control
August 30, 2018 06:36PM
I agree with you Des it helps me to concentrate i have mine on the lowest setting thats just audible i also think it makes the signals jump out more when you get one.
August 30, 2018 06:55PM
Yep. I have it on.
August 30, 2018 08:12PM
Haven’t got nearly enough hours on the Nox to comment specifically about that detector.

But I really do like a threshold, especially one that allows me to hear the ground

HH
Johnb
August 30, 2018 08:16PM
I have always been a threshold guy. I wish it changed tones like the Sovereign. Yeah I know.....I have to let go of that Sovereign thing. But silent hunting is not the same to me.
August 30, 2018 09:00PM
Des..... i dont use it since unlike gold mode in beach mode to me its just noise that only affects disc/blanked targets. Instead i run AM and lower the first bin to 1 where you get the mineral/iron chatter..... plenty of threshold to me and i have a better idea about those so called blank targets ML mentioned. Works well to let me know when im moving from fluffier sand and hard pan.........or in the trash. Yes on my other machines i run a little threshold....... but they arent nearly as noisy either and both have pitch hold.
August 30, 2018 11:20PM
I have dug some old coins with a slight waver in the threshold.....and they were deep.
cdv
August 31, 2018 09:47AM
winking smiley I think the best way to hunt with the Equinox (Beach Modes) is to turn all target volumes to zero and just run the Threshold. Machine runs smooth that way and less work diggingwinking smiley
August 31, 2018 01:03PM
Debbie at Minelab.... told me to run Threshold..When I saw her!
August 31, 2018 01:21PM
I don't like the extra noise.
August 31, 2018 08:03PM
Cliff....... you made me think about what you just said lol. Everyone hunts different...... for me its KISS.
August 31, 2018 08:58PM
only the gold modes have a true threshold
August 31, 2018 09:31PM
Thats true.... but the manual also says it can be used to listen to audio blanking.

By the way Cliff I expect you to be running that next time we hunt lol. Any one running that will hardly recognize how smooth it will run.
August 31, 2018 11:41PM
I always ran a threshold on the 705 to hear the blanking of disced out iron but it doesn't have the iron audio that is on the 800. Still I set the threshold on the 800 to just audible and if I want silent turn it down one more notch.
September 01, 2018 02:18AM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just wondering, if many of you use a Threshold hum
> with the Equinox and your other detectors?
>
> It's Preset is 0 = Off.
>
> Are we missing a trick here?
>
> Or is it a blessing that its Off as a Preset in Pa
> rk, Field & Beach Modes?
>
> Me...I like to hear a Threshold most of the time t
> hat's if the particular detector model has the fea
> ture?
> It helps to focus my mind and concentration to hav
> e a 'mild hum' going especially with headphones on
> .
> I also use a Threshold when not using headphones i
> n wide open spaces....pasture fields etc.
>
> Without a Threshold I find that I can get bored ea
> sily and then just plod along and become impatient
> and careless in my sweeping waiting for a 'beep'
> I'm positive I've missed some finds running around
> like that?
>
> I like to hear it 'cut out and back in again' afte
> r passing over a rejected target and it also helps
> with ferrous recognition as it can 'prolong' the a
> udio signal sound/s.

I still like hearing a slight threshold hum as well. That's what all of my early units had, and I always felt like I was hunting in the dark when the silent search units started appearing on the market. I still prefer a threshold for the exact reasons you state...
September 04, 2018 06:09PM
Isn't it nice to have a machine that is so cooperative and configurable? Dollar for dollar, find for find, feature for feature I can't think of a better unit!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
September 04, 2018 11:39PM
I've had mine off but I might try it and see if it's going to make me hear ghosts like an Excal or if it will keep me focused on actual real faint targets.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
September 05, 2018 01:01PM
threshold should be for cleaned out areas so you can really focus on the waiver. If its high trash, your just wasting time.