Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wood or fiberglass handle shovels

Posted by aguerrero56 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Wood or fiberglass handle shovels
September 10, 2018 04:10PM
I like the shorter shovels that allows me to dig on my knees. I think wood or fiberglass handles are better for this than an all-metal contruction because they absorb some of the shock when digging. I do own a Lesche sampson but if Im down in a hole and hit a rock or something metal it will send a shock through my wrist. Maybe that's a sign of me getting arthritus or carpal tunnel but it hurts when it happens. I suppose it might be time for a full size shovel or change my recovery technique. What are your thoughts or recommendations? Thanks
Re: Wood or fiberglass handle shovels
September 10, 2018 05:05PM
I totally love my Sampson. I have cf on my beach scoop and love it. I have two short shovels (back ups) that are fiberglass and work fine but not first choice.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
September 10, 2018 06:20PM
Maybe take a look at model 69 and 77 shovels. I find them both intriguing...

[www.predatortools.com]
September 10, 2018 07:10PM
Ive used a HOLE handle at least 8 years now with a 2' dowel in the end. They are completely sealed ... float ..... pretty light...... and cheap.
September 10, 2018 09:36PM
All steel shovel for inland hunting....sometimes heavy prying is a must. I like wooden handled shovels best, problem is they cant sit in the weather, like the back of a pick-up, they'll eventually weaken and break where the wood goes into the collar. Never used fiberglass for detecting but I've used them on the job site and they will splinter over time.
September 11, 2018 12:39AM
The only shovels that last for extreme jobs are those with solid fiberglass handle or all metal. There is a honeycomb type fiberglass handle that might be good....never used one. For rural fields I use a long handled Predator Pegasus model (discontinued)....its all metal.
September 11, 2018 02:48AM
Anaconda NX-6 Tempered Steel 36" all metal

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
September 11, 2018 03:41PM
Heres a tip...go to a farm country yard sale and pick up an old oak handle and put on your shovel..Used one for 10 yrs water hunting and never broke and floated as well...
September 11, 2018 04:10PM
I prefer pre WW2 Wood!!! as in e-tools

Old growth tight age rings!! last forever ...Wood is warm in the winter..and shock absorbing all year..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla