Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anything New on the Equinox 15 Inch Coil?

Posted by goodmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anything New on the Equinox 15 Inch Coil?
October 26, 2018 09:40AM
I thought a few early reports would be making their rounds by now. We have an actual Nor'Easter moving up the coast this weekend. The slow release of anything Equinox just continues to amaze me.
Re: Anything New on the Equinox 15 Inch Coil?
October 26, 2018 11:57AM
I heard it was being shipped a week ago but I have not seen any. Granny was slow but she was 90 come on minelab!
October 26, 2018 02:50PM
they've been released for sale in Europe, so it shouldn't be much longer before they're here in the states too. Now, how many will there be when they are released is another story.
October 26, 2018 04:25PM
I received the tracking numbers yesterday for mine so they are starting to ship in the US.

Bryan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2018 04:26PM by Cabin Fever.
October 26, 2018 05:51PM
Yep, I just got tracking on one.
October 26, 2018 10:49PM
Got my tracking too
October 27, 2018 08:12AM
I'm waiting on one. I think I am on a list to get one but I can't remember haha.
October 27, 2018 03:08PM
For me this coil doesnt add much to my style of hunting...... coverage. So im going to set back and see........ once the placebo affect wears off ill have a better grasp what it can do. Good bit of money i may use else where.
October 27, 2018 04:37PM
Mine will be here next week.
October 27, 2018 05:04PM
I'll want to see some accurate depth comparisons between it and the stock coil. If it doesn't get at least an inch more depth, I don't have much use for it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2018 06:48PM by Badger in NH.
October 27, 2018 05:40PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll want to see some accurate depth comparisons b
> etween it and the stock coil. It it doesn't get at
> least an inch more depth, I don't have much use fo
> r it.

X2
October 27, 2018 06:01PM
I can’t imagine the extra 1” in coil width is going to add much more depth.
The Equinox with the stock 11” coil is already deeper then both my CTX and E-Trac were with big coils.
I’m buying for the coverage but I’ll take any depth advantage it might come with..

Bryan
October 27, 2018 07:59PM
I agree with the "depth" thing. I don't expect an extra inch, but it's sure what I'm hoping for, on a coin-sized target...

Steve
October 27, 2018 08:16PM
If the performance increase is anything like the CTX big coil was for me, it will be more harder hitting and better ID at extreme depth
then actual increase in depth.. It’s not like I was really finding deeper coins with the big coil, but finding more coins at depth with the big coil.
That has some value.

Bryan
October 29, 2018 12:41PM
When I switched to the ctx 17 inch vs the stock coil, I gained a 1/2 on smaller coins and a full inch on larger coins. However, TID was more stable at depth.
October 29, 2018 05:13PM
I received a couple last week. Sold one and still have one. not sure if I want to keep or sell.confused smiley
October 30, 2018 09:26PM
Was told by my Equinox dealer that my 15 inch coil will be here tomorrow. He has already shipped it. Looking forward to trying it out in some of the farm fields I have permission to hunt.
October 30, 2018 10:26PM
Well it will probably be the last coil for the Equinox. Seeing that the 6 inch offers what I feel is just a slight better performance on masked targets I see no need for an 8 inch coil. And nobody wants anything bigger than a 15 inch coil. That 17 inch CTX coil was too heavy.
October 30, 2018 11:13PM
I would LOVE an 8 or 9 inch coil for the Nox. There for sure is a gap in the lineup. The 6 inch is way too small for anything more than specific site work and the 11 is too big for a lot of places. An 8 or 9 inch would be a great freshwater beach hunting coil. It would be even better if it were of an elliptical design so that the gold prospectors could have a coil and it also double as a medium size general purpose size coil.

My 15 is on the way. I'm really looking forward to getting that one.
October 30, 2018 11:28PM
What he (Daniel TN) said!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
October 30, 2018 11:32PM
Couple of guys got theirs from Keith at Ft Bedford PA (ML repairs)
October 31, 2018 04:06PM
This is the only coil I'll ever need on my Equinox, 5" X 10" closed elliptical coil:

October 31, 2018 05:07PM
Cal -- I'd love to see one too. Hopefully by Minelab and not CoilTek though.
October 31, 2018 07:55PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cal -- I'd love to see one too. Hopefully by Minelab and not CoilTek though.

I heard the CTX version was a sub-par coil, which is odd, as CoilTek has traditionally been a solid coil maker.
October 31, 2018 08:03PM
I agree, a 5x10 solid bottom coil like the whites or the coiltek would be what I'd use the most..
November 01, 2018 07:40PM
I think there is money to be made by ML if they listen to people who use the various modes. Each can require something special. Im with Daniel ... id like to see a 9" for the water. To me that size is not to small, but can have great sensitivity
November 01, 2018 10:02PM
My big coil came today, thank to Gulf South Detectors. I don't have any affiliation with them but the owner does post here on occasion and I did get my 6 inch and 15 inch Nox coils from him.

At any rate....the stock coil does most of what I could ever ask out of a coil. The 6 inch wasn't even on my "wanted" list until I started seeing people post great depth stories about them. I had to get one to see for myself and I was quite surprised by how deep that little coil goes. It is by far the deepest small coil I have ever put on a detector and I am quite happy that I bought that one. So I had high hopes that the 12x15 would blow me away. Nope. It gets just a "meh" from me, with a crinkled nose. I wasn't expecting a ton of difference in it and the stock coil...I mean it's only 12 inches wide vs the stock coil at 11...so I knew it was going to be more of a coverage coil instead of a super deep coil...but yet I had high hopes. Doesn't seem to be the case for me. It won't be the coil to put on to go after those super deep targets...but in theory should help in those wide open areas for covering ground faster (beaches....open fields). It DOES add some weight but that was to be expected as well. It's not as bad as the CTX with its 17 inch coil but it does put some strain on the wrist. Gonna have to come up with some kind of counter weight in the back under the arm cuff to off set it, if I use it much. I've got a few fields that it would be great in, to cover them a little quicker. Daniel Tn's review thought...if you have been thinking of getting it to add some depth...save your $.
November 01, 2018 11:51PM
Thanks for the quick review. I will save my money.
November 02, 2018 12:39AM
Thanks for the report Daniel. I slightly considered it, but to be honest, most of my sites have a lot of iron and trash, so a larger coil, unless it was a depth demon, doesn't make sense.

I'll hold out for a 5x10" elliptical closed loop design thumbs down
November 02, 2018 12:53AM
Appreciate the info and report on the coil!