Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anything New on the Equinox 15 Inch Coil?

Posted by goodmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Anything New on the Equinox 15 Inch Coil?
November 02, 2018 03:38AM
Daniel, but with your soil quite mineralized, my guess is you will not see much extra depth. It should get better depth in the lower mineralized soils? Thanks for sharing.
November 02, 2018 04:52AM
Possum -- I wouldn't think so. I'm basing my opinion on air test distances vs the stock coil. I figure if it doesn't surpass or match the stock coil in the air, then it's not going to go any better in the ground. I ran it through my test garden and sorta verified that as well. Here is my break down for those interested.

Nox 600. Park 2 mode. Sensitivity at 22 (where I typically run mine). 50 tone. Recovery speed 3 (equiv to 6 on the Nox 800).

I used a silver quarter, silver dime, nickel, .58 minie, and a US Civil War belt plate as test items.

11" Coil:

Q = 16"
D = 14.5"
N = 17.25"
Minie = 15"
US Plate = 25.25"

12x15 Coil:

Q = 15"
D = 13.5"
N = 16.75"
Minie = 15.25"
US Plate = 26"

That is no mistake. Those aren't flip flopped around either. On coin size objects, it is an inch difference between the 12x15 and stock 11" coil on coin sized objects...on the opposite side of where it should be LOL. I was expecting to gain an inch with it, not lose it. The only place it starts to pull ahead are on larger things...well except the quarter. It gained 1/4 an inch on a minie ball and 3/4 of an inch on the belt plate.

Just for grins, while I had the measuring board out and my targets too, I grabbed the 6 inch coil and put it on there to see what it could do. Pretty darn impressive for a 6 inch round coil.

6" Coil...same settings as above. Park 2. Sens 22.

Q = 13.25
D = 11.5
N = 13
Minie = 11.75
US Plate = 17.5

That's darn impressive if you ask me on the 6 inch coil.

Now, in my soil this drops off a little once it is balanced due to minerals. I can still get a 10 inch dime with correct tone and ID numbers in the mid 20s. It doesn't lock to a specific number but it is consistent and lets you know you more than likely have a high conductive coin down there.

This 12x15 reminds me of the 15 inch F-75 coil that nobody seems to like or want. It had a lot of potential but....
November 02, 2018 04:59AM
Daniel,

Wow. I would be thinking faulty coil, if my "big coil" LOSES an inch of air-test depth over the stock coil, unless increased EMI were the culprit. This, for me, prompts some desire to see additional testing/results, to see if others have similar findings...

Steve
November 02, 2018 05:49AM
I set my 800 up like yours Daniel.. (recovery speed 6) My 15” coil air tests 1/2” more then yours on the nickel, dime, quarter but your 11” coil blows mine away!
12” Dime,14” quarter, and 15” Nickel. Maybe you have a super hot 11” coil which makes your 15 look bad?

My 11” coil does fantastic in my mineralized ground with several 10” Dime and penny finds. More regular deep finds then both my CTX and E-Trac with big coils.
I mostly use Park 1 though when hunting with Recovery speeds between 4 and 6 depending on conditions.

Bryan

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2018 06:04AM by Cabin Fever.
November 02, 2018 06:13AM
Steveg -- A week or two ago, I was thinking the same thing when I was reading the test data from El Nino on Steve's prospecting forum. His results favored the 11 inch coil as well but he was testing with small pieces of lead too so I sorta dismissed it in my mind. Now one thing is for certain...I have the worse luck of any individual when it comes to buying new stuff. So it is highly possible I did get a defective coil. I bought a side by side utility vehicle new last weekend. Those things just come with a 1 year warranty. I gladly paid extra to get an additional 5 year warranty on it cause I know how my luck is with things like that. haha.

Cabin Fever -- I never had even thought about the possibility of having a really good 11 inch coil. There may actually be something to that, since my buddies that bought Nox machines never did fall for them like I did mine, and we hunt the same soil types. One recently sold his to go back to his F75 and GPX combo. They were always saying they aren't seeing the depth out of theirs like I was with mine...we just assumed it was because of settings or that I had more hours on the machine. What software version are you running on yours? I'm on the original version; I didn't like the new so I went back. I dunno if that has anything to do with it or not though. I guess I could update it again and see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2018 06:19AM by Daniel Tn.
November 02, 2018 06:37AM
I’m running the new software Daniel and I really like it for coin hunting.
It seems I’m locking on to partially masked deep coins even better and the depth meter and audio modulation have definitely improved.
I have never had more confidence in a Detector in my 26+ years of detecting.
I’m pulling old coins from areas I had just about completely written off to being hunted out.

There are things I would change on the Equinox if I could, but I truly believe it’s the best coin detector for my style of hunting in my area.
If I didn’t feel that way I buy something else..

I don’t think there is anything wrong with your 15” coil.
Those look like good numbers to me and I never expected to get more then a 1/2 to 1 inch more in the ground anyway.
I bought mine for ground coverage. Any depth gain will be bonus.

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2018 06:40AM by Cabin Fever.
November 02, 2018 07:12AM
One more thing Daniel. I don’t know your “buddies” or their skill level, but some people no matter how long they have been hunting,
may never get to next level hunting.
Pulling real deep coins, partially masked or on edge coins takes skill. Some just never get it or even know they don’t get it.
I can see where someone would think the Equinox is nothing special and no different they any other Detector.
For those with experience and the ability to get into the settings and dial in for their conditions and learn the language will see the light and
appreciate it’s special abilities.

You are no doubt one of the few who have what it takes.

Bryan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2018 07:14AM by Cabin Fever.
November 03, 2018 06:01AM
Daniel,

LOL! I hear you, on the "bad luck" thing -- LOL! Hopefully, you won't need that 5-year warranty, but if you do, it's there!

As for your coil, now that Bryan mentioned it, I think he's right. I didn't even think about your 11" coil readings in and of themselves; I was simply focused on the difference between the 11" coil numbers and those from the 12x15. But Bryan is right, your 11" appears to be exceptionally hot! I don't recall my exact air-test values, but your numbers on your 11" coil are substantially higher than mine were, across the board. When I think about it from that perspective, I think Bryan is right, that your 15" values would be slightly better than my 11" coil's numbers -- and thus, for me, the big coil has a chance of being a slightly deeper coil "in the dirt," I would think, than MY 11" coil. So yes, the anomaly, I think, is not with your 15" coil, but your 11" coil! WOW!!

Good eye, Bryan!

Steve
November 05, 2018 08:51AM
First run with my 15” coil today was a hit! It’s a fantastic coil.
It swings beautifully in a park scenario and sounds off on deep coins with authority..
The 11”stock coil is definitely more deft amongst the heavy trash, but the 15” coil is the tool for
the more open areas with moderate to light trash if the coins tend to run deep. It pinpoints very easy, and is light.
All of today’s 11 old coins but one were between 8 and 10 inches including a full 10” Barber Dime that ID mid to high 20s
from all directions. Very impressive considering my soil. ( Ground Ballance 6-8 ).

So far no coins found deeper then my stock coil but there is a noticeable audio and ID difference between the two.
I’m confident I will break the 10” Dime barrier with this coil that I haven’t been able to do with any detector thus far.

Bryan
November 08, 2018 12:16AM
Got mine today will run it thru the garden tomorrow.
November 08, 2018 01:15AM
I went on a second hunt with my new 15” coil.
It has definitely opened up one particular park for me.

The park has been heavily hunted for many years and usually only gives up a few old coins per hunt on average.
The old coin level starts around 7 inches. Everything is real deep with the exception of a few packed areas and around the trees.

After two, roughly 4 hour hunts, I netted 23 old coins. This is unprecedented at this park.
My friend who I hunt with was using the MX Sport and V3i.
He found only two old coins, both V Nickels over this same period.
23 to 2 !!

We usually average roughly the same amount of old coin finds, although he does usually much better on jewelry.
Part of that is attributed to our different hunting style but I do consider him the better hunter.

Depth in this tough ground seem to be the factor.
The Equinox with big coil hits deep 9 and 10” coins so confidently they sound like they are only
at 6 to 8 inches.
My stock coil could hit deep coins too, but I think the 15” coil is just catching more of them.

I have hunted this park for years with the CTX, E-Trac and others.
My friend has been along my side through most of these hunts with his V3i, and now MX Sport.
None of them have come close to the performance I just witnessed..

The super light Equinox with big coil is just a fantastic combo to swing.
No harness needed.
It’s so nice to be able to ditch all the wires and harnesses.
I feel free!

This will be a bold statement, and will ruffle some feathers,
but In my bad ground I don’t think this combo can be beat by any other VLF combo on the market.
None that I seen or run anyway.

Bryan
November 08, 2018 01:25AM
Well the good news is.....I have a long Winter to decide.