Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I took my brother on his maiden voyage today and this is what we found

Posted by Chris Woods 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I took my brother on his maiden voyage today and this is what we found
May 07, 2011 04:34AM
I spent a large portion of the day working with him on the 3D that Tom laid hands on a few weeks ago.
This was the first chance I've had to really wring it out. The tones are clear as a bell and the machine is STABLE. I had the sensitivity from bottom to top and the volume too. I was able to achieve better gb than I thought would be possible (it wasn't just better, it was perfect).
After a while he wanted to try the F75 ltd and picked that one up pretty quick as well.
We were in the middle of a ~1500 acre farm hunting an OLD dirty road when we hit the proverbial honey hole.

We were short on time so we made several spirals around it to map out the 1st target grid.
While sweeping, digging and starting at our coil paths we recovered several square nails, a horseshoe, part of an old clay pipe, an old hinge, several pieces of broken pottery and porcelain and a small button with what appears to have a ring of flowers on it. Jeff also found part of an old iron cook pot. No silver yet but like I said we were pressed for time. We were however digging every hit we got.
The best part so far is two fold; only 4 people know where this place is and two of them don't dig AND we didn't get a single hit much less recover a single piece of modern trash. No aluminum anywhere only iron brass and copper.
Needless to say I am stoked.

Tomorrow I am going to another site with three old untouched home sites. This time I will be alone and will not be rushed.
Wish me luck.

P.s. If any of you guys live in the Knoxville area and would like a chance to try one of these places, drop me a line and maybe we can get together.
Chris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2011 03:26AM by Neugene.
Re: I took my brother on his maiden voyage today and this is what we found
May 07, 2011 05:05AM
If I offer you a Hershey bar....will you invite me?smiling smiley Best of success to you and your brother.
That is a textbook example of what a cellar is. Nice.
May 07, 2011 10:47AM
I'm not too far away, ~500 miles or so. When do we start? I'll buy the sandwiches and beer.

What a great site!
May 07, 2011 01:51PM
You probably already thought of it, but try to find the trash pit if one exists.
May 07, 2011 02:49PM
Just take it slow and enjoy it and you can never say it is hunted out take a small coil also.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 07, 2011 03:58PM
Thanks for the advice guys. This is definitely a 5" coil place. I haven't found a trash pit yet but I have found what I think was a barn and maybe a forge. There is nothing above ground to indicate this but there are small blobs of metal that seem to be centrally located close to a pile of flat rocks which are several hundred yards from the cellar hole (the forge?). Not too far from there we dug a horse shoe and several horse shoe nails (the barn?). It is going to take a LONG time to hunt this one.

Using the 5" coil, the F75 sounds like a machine gun on just about every sweep mostly due to ~.25" long 16-18AWG pieces of iron, square nails etc. On more than one occasion I could wave a handful of dirt in front of the coil and get an iron grunt only to find iron oxide as I sifted through it. I'm running the F75 wide open with 0 disc and 4H tones in BP and it never goes quiet. It is almost impossible to find a spot clean enough to ground balance in.
Again, I can't say enough about how impressively the CZ-3D performed. I was running it in enhanced mode at 5.5 GB, 0 DISC, 5 VOL while playing with the sensitivity and it remained rock solid.
I made it a point to take the Pepsi challenge on several targets and will go into that in another post after I have collected more data (hopefully today). For now I will say that I was following Tom's instructions and having my brother hand me one machine and then the other without me moving in order to level the playing field as much as possible and both of the machines were hitting the mark. I am also trying to find a way to finance a V3i to work this site with. I have had two White's machines in the past, a 6000 and a DFX and I let them go for one reason or another but it looks like the V3i might have ironed out some of the wrinkles. I would love to see how it stacks up against the CZ and LTD.
My plan is to cherry pick this site at first then settle into digging as much of the iron as possible to hopefully uncover more good stuff.

The big down side is that the bottom of the cellar hole is covered by BIG rocks to the point that you can't see the dirt underneath. It is driving me crazy wondering what might be under them but it is going to take a lot of effort to get them out and my back is not what it used to be.

As long as I continue to wake up breathing, I've got all the time in the world to hit this site from every imaginable angle so PLEASE post tips or suggestions and I will give them a shot.
May 07, 2011 04:20PM
Chris,

Now may be a good time to invest in a Rare Earth magnet!
That would be a rare earth magnet and a.....
May 07, 2011 11:21PM
10 yard dumpster!!!

Tom Z
You are definitely in for a learning experience Chris
May 07, 2011 11:23PM
You can read all you want but the real learning will be when you start to hunt it yourself one on one....take your time... try different setting's, different coil's,different machine's...

when you get all you think you can out of there then you can start to get surgical with it.....

keep track of what you dig out of there then when it dries up I will promise you there is more in there than you have dug....Its a true learning experience ...

I have hunted such site's (iron infestation) like your picture for at least 20 year's almost exclusively and I learn more and more every time I tackle one....and the find's will and do keep coming...You need to have an understanding of co-located target interaction an idea of what the matrix look's like under the dirt...It would be mind boggling to see the never ending ferrous and non-ferrous target's of different sizes, shape's, conductivity all intermingled below the surface......

Have fun with it....

Keith
May 08, 2011 12:43AM
Chris,

Good luck on the hunt!! I'm in Knoxville too!! Glad you survived the storms!!!!

Roger
May 08, 2011 04:22PM
I am a big fan of sifting the most promising areas. Back breaking work. Did that to a 15' x 15' section to 10" deep. In a deserted turn of the century picnic grove. Man, it was productive on tasty coins to say the least. And no detector, yesteryear or today would have been able to sniff those coins out from the old iron/modern day trash.

Note: use a bottle diggers probe to locate possible pits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2011 04:23PM by TerraDigger.
May 16, 2011 03:13AM
Great site! I was gonna suggest finding the trash pit but someone beat me to it! Small coil... but someone beat me to it! (Y'all are just too sharp!) I've had the pleasure of hunting a few sites like this when I was younger with my Whites 6000. Found a few goodies but the trash pits produced some great bottles! When I heal (Neck probs.) I'd LUV to help you move those rocks etc... Lotta good stuff in there I bet!! Good luck & please keep us posted! PS. That CZ sure seems like a great machine!

Been swingin' a White's since the 70's - 5 machines, Currently an XLT & Fisher F75 LE - 50,000 finds, 30,000 (or so) keepers. Published in the White's catalog. Always looking for good/decent hunting buds! Get in touch!