Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Finally got a mod done I have had in back of my mind for awhile

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Finally got a mod done I have had in back of my mind for awhile
October 31, 2018 12:27AM
After sourcing all the parts..I got it done ..

Always liked to mod things to make them appealing to me....Maybe not everyone but for me anyways.I always look at something and first thing that comes into my mind is what if??LOL..

Anyhow I had a Requirement in my mind for a Sovereign I wanted to run..It just tales time to accumulate the parts and get the right pieces..Then takes time to build it.

Anyhow its a Whites classic 3 S-Rod with trigger assembly..That was the tough part to get..Finally found one that had been stripped from a Classic 3 but rod had also been stripped of cam lock and switch and assembly inside the rod that holds the switch..But my parts bin is bountiful so not to big an issue.. just had to bend me out a piece of aluminum to insert in trigger housing to switch...

Got a 550 meter and modded it to 180 and routed the cable to the detector from the meter though the inside of the pole then out the bottom through hole that was already there for classic 3 control box the measured enough length and soldered connector back on..The robbed a extra long toggle switch from one of my stack of old 5900 meters where switch was in meter housing..Back then in the 80s they used those nice longer ones unlike the shorter one's on mxts etc today.

Mounted a 1/4 inch mono jack on back of sovereign box and wired the two wires from jack to the disc all metal switch.The took an old early 80s Whites headphone right angle extension coiled headphone cord and fed it though the rod and into the switch housing and wired the two wires to switch...then all you have to do is plug it in and flip disc/allmetal switch on housing to all metal and then the trigger one works..

Re drilled the Minelab sovereign lower rod retainer clips to line up with the S-Rod.

Added a rubber handgrip...didn't want the foam one to tear up at some point and have to go through a nightmare to replace it..so the rubber one should last a good long time.

Machine is nice and light and balances very well and the excellent 8 inch coinsearch coil ..actually feels about perfect with coil cover on..with it off its a little rear heavy..

Anyhow I LIKE it..maybe not for everyone but thought I'd share...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 12:28AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Finally got a mod done I have had in back of my mind for awhile
October 31, 2018 12:56AM
Excellent Keith! It's the Frankenstein monster just in time for Halloween.
October 31, 2018 12:57AM
Thanks for sharing Keith, looks good!
October 31, 2018 01:05AM
Good job Keith thumbs down
October 31, 2018 01:18AM
Ole' Keith Southern did it again!
October 31, 2018 01:46AM
Love the build and the grip setup. I always liked the sovereign. Good luck with it!
October 31, 2018 01:55AM
You did what Minelab should of done. thumbs down
October 31, 2018 09:58AM
Very nice. What's the next project in the back of your mind, Keith?
October 31, 2018 02:52PM
Over the years Sov. was the most modded unit...…….looks like a nice job to me....another Keith original....
October 31, 2018 04:39PM
Frankentector?
October 31, 2018 04:48PM
nice work keith.
October 31, 2018 08:37PM
I have 1st dibs if/when he sells it :-D
October 31, 2018 10:08PM
That's a great setup Keith thumbs down

I loved my Sov XS2a-pro for reverse discrimination beach hunting, that sucker was deep with the Sunray coil. Nabbed an antique silver wedding ring at the beach that had to be every bit of 14" deep.
November 01, 2018 12:51AM
I love it! Very nice work!!

KittyScreamMachine?? I want to say back in one of your posts you referred to the Sovereign (hitting on high conductors) as a kitty cat screaming? lol
November 04, 2018 03:09AM
Thanks fellas!!

Yes swings like a dream..Well in a way it was a dream..LOL

Ozzie how much time you got.!!----------Probably a Pulse project I've had lurking.....TDI based......It involves a trigger setup too!..

Yes Kitty machine...nothing like that sound on a deep sliver of silver...

Yes reverse disc and LOOK out.. hence the trigger requirement...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 04, 2018 10:26AM
Heres a little something Ron also did to his. By the way he makes a awfully good 180 meter too.

[www.findmall.com]