Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New CZ-3D calibrated properly?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: New CZ-3D calibrated properly?
November 02, 2018 10:20PM
My bad. Yes it has a newer coil replace by FT? That's more realistic than a Grand. That's just crazy.
I love CZ-3D's but would never pay close to a G for one.
November 04, 2018 04:15AM
You're right Harold, almost $1,000 for a cz-3d is crazy. Unless he finds a sucker to overpay for it, then not so crazy.

Fleabay has changed from an auction site to more fixed price sales in many categories. No charge per listing anymore up to a certain amount of lstings, so no money is lost if an item doesn't sell. Which encourages sellers like this one to overprice since it only takes a single person to be willing to pay a premium price because he wants it and he wants it now.
November 04, 2018 05:38AM
Sellers have started to adapt to the extra fee costs on metal detectors. If the guy does sell the CZ-3D, he will only bank around $700 of that after eBay and PayPal fees. They get about 20% of the total after their greedy litte paws get out of it . I tried to warn my buddy when he said he was going to put his Nox 800 up on auction. I told him as high as they sell, he would be better off asking $750 on a forum classifieds for it and that he'd either sell it quick or take an offer close to that. He says "naahhh...I can get more than that for it". Well he did and didn't at the same time. Ohhh it sold higher than that $750 I suggested. But after fees and such, he only ended up pocketing $650 or so.
November 04, 2018 04:12PM
It's 13%, 10% eBay and 3% Paypal And Yes it does suck as they could charge half that and still make a killing.
It would take years to build up but if someone with a lot of Money could make their own auction site and just cut it in half and make 6-7% they could get a ton of ebays business. But it would take a ton of start up money.
The only advantage if You need money fast it will sell at auction where it could hang around on The Forums forever.
November 04, 2018 06:59PM
Harold -- Depends on if they do a reserve price with it. That adds into the total they take out. It's an extra 4% for that, if it is set over $100. That's the better part of 20% (17 if you want to split hairs).
November 04, 2018 07:24PM
Oh' well I never set a reserve. To Me I always get more without one eventhough it is a gamble and You have to know Your item. Ebay is funny as I have listed items at a Buy It Now with no takers. Then I will take the same item and Auction it with No Reserve and get above the BIN price? Sometimes all it takes is Two bidders who want it. By far the hottest items I sell on eBay are original Hot wheels redline Toy cars from 68'-72'. They are like liquid gold. Detectors and such items just so-so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 07:37PM by Harold,ILL..
Harold, I think I found your answer,,,thumbs down
November 07, 2018 06:45AM
I've been very slowly reading the old Tom cz threads that Tnsharpshooter was kind enough to link. In the 4th link down Tom shares a report on a hot 12" El Paso cz-3d he calibrated and validated on 8/24/13:

"Because/due to a paradigm shift........... I feel like this unit is a "high performer"............. and the 10.4" unit is 'average'. Then,,,,, I realize ,,,, I am (accepting and) becoming numb to mediocrity. In all actuality, the 12.0" unit has always been 'standard' ....... and anything less than...... say...... 11.7" is sub-par."

Where Tom is talking about becoming numb to mediocrity he is obviously referring to the El Paso units where a 10.4" detector is the average...a paradigm shift from the previous lofty standard.

Unless FT has improved those depth numbers since 2013, that would mean the depth differential between the typical Los Banos unit and the typical El Paso unit would be about an inch and a half.

I'd guess that the average El Paso ID and stability numbers would be lower as well. Tom can you verify?
November 07, 2018 07:44PM
Yes that's what I was wondering if this still holds true today. That's is why I asked if anyone has bought one in last year or so to see if this still holds true. I have read all the old post, But that was then this is now.
So how about today? Same,better,or worse? Mine is getting long in the tooth but still works great, But if it dies can I buy a New One with confidence in performance? Heck I would be happy with a 11" Air test as that will still get You deep. Be nice to have a New One with warranty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 07:46PM by Harold,ILL..
November 08, 2018 02:42PM
Lots of depth without stability or correct ID isn't all that great. Some detectors of the same brand and make are just better all the way around than others. I once had a Golden µMax that had the new audio tones and it would ID correctly on a 9+ inch dime when paired up with a brown 8-inch doughnut search coil. I tested it with other 8-inch and 9'' x 8' search coils but the Golden didn't work nearly as well with those search coils. At first, I figured that I had a super hot search coil but after trying it on some other detectors I found that wasn't the case. In fact, it didn't do as well on some other detectors. So you just never really know what you might end up with until you test it for yourself.

Presently I have a proper Omega version 6 that's paired with a 10" elliptical search coil. I've bought and sold several Omega detectors and this one is the best one yet. I have it for sale but I won't get a penny more for it than someone selling one that's average or below average. That's just the way it is, so I've just about talked myself into keeping it because it's a killer on silver coins and is a joy to use.

I'm also in the market for a Fisher CZ (CZ3d, CZ-70, 5 or 6a), but I want one that's proper at a fair price. A few years back I owned a CZ-70 for a short while but I ended up selling before I realized what I had. It was by far one of the deepest detectors that I've ever used. Period. I'm still kicking myself in the butt for selling it!

tabman
November 08, 2018 04:36PM
Yes as You know I have your old New Tone Golden uMax and that is true as it is hot with the 8" Brown donut coil. I have tried other coils and they don't come close in ground. I even tried a 10.5" Concentric and the much raved about Troy Super 9 Coil and both were about a inch less. I bought a coil cover for it and very careful with this coil as it with this Golden just goes perfect for some reason? Never saw anything like it as My CZ-3D I have tried other 8" Coils and it's just as Hot with all?
I Never saw anything like it before?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 05:53PM by Harold,ILL..
November 16, 2018 03:26PM
If I'm not mistaken Harold, the Golden is a fixed ground balance detector. If so, that would explain the coil discrepancy.

Your Golden is no doubt tuned to the 8" donut coil. With a fixed GB detector, the detector is at peak performance when tuned to a specific coil.