Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"Lost Treasure" magazine gone!

Posted by Des D 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"Lost Treasure" magazine gone!
November 01, 2018 08:14PM
Sad news to report that 'Lost Treasure' magazine has ceased publishing a hard copy magazine!

The owner, Lee Harris has retired.

Those of you with a subscription won't be getting a copy thru the mailbox anymore!

My association with the magazine came by when I bought it monthly and traded it via Air Mail to a Brit who used mail me the monthly UK equivalent in the form of "Treasure Hunting" which I am happy to say, is still going! December edition of it due out tomorrow!

What's happening in the industry that a detector manufacturer, "Tesoro", and now a detector magazine have ceased to be?

Mr.Harris, enjoy your retirement and thanks for your fine publication!

Des D
Re: "Lost Treasure" magazine gone!
November 01, 2018 08:24PM
This is the 'Great' New Metal Detecting world We live in.
I long for the good Ole' simple times when it was a small cult like Hobby before it went mainstream and We were thought of as a weird Guy out in field digging up trash and not some Guy finding rare and valuable Treasure. Yeah I am Old and grumpy but sure missed them days when You had a public spot not only open but all to Yourself.
Some will say all Hobbies go that way but this one is not made to go mainstream.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 08:31PM by Harold,ILL..
November 01, 2018 08:27PM
Sorry, but you gentlemen know this. Change is growth. This industry needs to change with the times, and not struggle against them.
November 01, 2018 08:35PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry, but you gentlemen know this. Change is grow
> th. This industry needs to change with the times,
> and not struggle against them.

I don't see much future in the industry with public sites closing more everyday. Pretty soon only place to go is Your own backyard or door knock and beg someone to detect theirs? Who is going to Buy their Detectors if they have No where to use them? Especially water sites as 99% is public property and let's face it just a matter of time before they are all closed to Detecting.
If it happens to parks You think they will leave water sites open?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 08:40PM by Harold,ILL..
November 01, 2018 08:40PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sorry, but you gentlemen know this. Change is gr
> ow
> > th. This industry needs to change with the times
> ,
> > and not struggle against them.
>
> I don't see much future in the industry with publi
> c sites closing more everyday. Pretty soon only pl
> ace to go is Your own land or door knock and beg s
> omeone to detect their land? Who is going to Buy t
> heir Detectors if they have No where to use them?

And thus create better ways to find finds in "hunted out" spots. As for public sites closing, well, get people involved and use your vote wisely.
November 01, 2018 09:46PM
Its not a sign of anything with the hobby, its a sign of the change in society in general. All hard-print versions are going away. Mags, newpapers, books, music, its all going digital only. I prefer a physical copy in my hand, but the times they are a changin.
November 01, 2018 10:28PM
I hate for this to be my first post here. I use to look forward to getting Lost Treasure in the mail. After a year or two though it became pretty stale. The same rehashed articles in it about Treasure Tales that locals in the area will laugh about. Or seeing the same article in Lost Treasure and the GPAA magazine in the same month that one time I joined that was a bit laughable.

I do hate to see the demise of the magazine though. It is the nature of the beast at this time. I work for a local paper and put the three issues each week in local stores and in the racks outside. The route I currently run in a small town once was well over 1000 papers. Now it is almost half that. Print media is slowly dying off as the older generations that still read them do. Everyone wants the info for free online.

I will share one fond memory of Lost Treasure though. I actually did win the giveaway they had every month. At the time I entered it online everyday. I won a Whites Surf PI Pro or something like that. Not a ton of use to me since I am in the mountains of VA but it was good timing as I was headed to the beach for vacation. Whites was kind enough to overnight it to me so I would have it in time. Found my first gold that trip. Sadly I get to go to the coast maybe once a year so I ended up trading off that PI machine after a while.
November 01, 2018 10:56PM
Bill Mahan started "Bill Mahan's Treasure World" magazine in the mid 60's.
It became "Treasure World" and "True Treasure" on alternating months.
Then combined into "Long John Latham's Lost Treasure".
Then eventually Lost Treasure.
At the same time, Western Treasure evolved into Western & Eastern Treasure.
And "Treasure," "Treasure Search," and "Treasure Found" came & went. Plus a few others.

I'm not so sad to see LT go. For a long time it has been recycling old stories from Treasure World and True Treasure, and a lot of those old stories were completely fabricated. I wonder how much time & money have been wasted chasing nonexistent treasure. Plus, LT was a big promoter of LRL scams in the 90's.
November 01, 2018 11:13PM
I always did like Western and Eastern better of the two.
My all-time fave was Treasure Found Magazine from back in the day. Some Ole' timers will remember that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 05:23PM by Harold,ILL..
November 01, 2018 11:37PM
Sorry but --- What's a Magazine?

Ok, I don't remember as well as I used to , and I sort of remember some paper in my mailbox with lots of pages - but I swear - I haven't seen one inyears.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
November 02, 2018 12:24AM
Been a long time subscriber to Western & Eastern. Generally I enjoy it, but some months are far better than others (the latest W&E issue isn't a shining example).

Times are changing folks, the technology pipeline is set to completely change the world, and it's coming fast!

We've seen more technological evolution in the past 100 years, than the entire history of mankind prior to that, let that sink in.
November 03, 2018 07:19AM
for my money,best publication was "treasure found" no bullshit
treasure tales just found stuff! fascinating mag!.i was really disappointed when it took a dive!

(h.h.)
j.t.
November 03, 2018 08:05AM
American Digger has been my off and on again favorite magazine since they came out. I unsubscribed to them while they were still supporting that Ric Savage buffoon though. They thankfully distanced themselves from him. The problem is...most of what is featured in their columns, I have already seen months prior to the published copy via social media. I honestly think paper hard copy stuff is going by the wayside. It's cheaper to put everything in digital format. My wife and I are at odds on this subject. I am a big time book reader and still like hard copy books. She has embraced the Kindle stuff. I like being able to turn pages and not worry about keeping a battery charged to be able to read. She gloats of thousands of free books and cheaper copies of the new ones, and not needing dozens of book shelves to hold everything. I did find a CD of digital reprints of some very rare local history books. I think I paid $20 for the CD. It has 120 books on it....some of which would have cost me well into the hundred dollar per copy range if I would have bought the physical printed book. That one was well worth it. So was having all 128 copies of the Official Records of the Civil War in searchable format. That's where I draw the line though haha.

Currently hooked on the Joe Pickett series of novels by CJ Box. Am about half way through with that series...started them around late August.
November 03, 2018 09:37AM
Detecting magazines were notorious for their false reviews. They were basically funded by detector companies so the entire system was heavily slanted. They had their day. Scanning the internet forums on my tablet with the ability to ask almost instantaneous questions replaced my subscriptions years ago.
November 03, 2018 10:47AM
when i was growing up...... i liked my JC Pennys and Sears too, for a couple of reasons..... one i wont mention. But like was mentioned ....... how we view information and costs are changing our OLD ways..... got-a-keep-up.
November 03, 2018 10:52AM
In the simpliest of terms.
The jig is up!!
November 03, 2018 02:17PM
goodmore Wrote:
> Detecting magazines were notorious for their fals
> e reviews. They were basically funded by detector
> companies so the entire system was heavily slanted
> . They had their day. Scanning the internet forums
> on my tablet with the ability to ask almost instan
> taneous questions replaced my subscriptions years
> ago.

LOL, those "reviews" were nothing more than paid advertisements. You never saw a single negative written about even the biggest pile of junk, and there was some junk. The mags were supported by the manufacturers and the mags werent about to upset the sugar-daddy.
November 03, 2018 02:53PM
Cal cobra, lytle-78, silverfiend & goodmore are right : The internet & 'puters is making printed periodicals and books obsolete. And spelling the doom of brick & mortar metal detecting clubs. No one gets off their duff to attend monthly meetings these days. They get their socializing, show & tell, product comparisons, meeting up, etc... All from the comfort of their sofa at home. So clubs only exist in the largest cities these days any more.

Harold,ILL. Wrote:
>
> I don't see much future in the industry with publi
> c sites closing more everyday. Pretty soon only pl
> ace to go is Your own backyard or door knock and b
> eg someone to detect theirs? Who is going to Buy t
> heir Detectors if they have No where to use them?
> Especially water sites as 99% is public property a
> nd let's face it just a matter of time before they
> are all closed to Detecting.
> If it happens to parks You think they will leave w
> ater sites open?

Harold, it has nothing to do with supposed encroaching anti-md'ing rules or laws. It has everything to do with the internet replacing printed media, for sources of social interaction, education, show & tell, etc...

Beyonder-Pa Wrote:

> As for public sites closing, well,
> get people involved and use your vote wisely.

Well, yes and no. Depending on what you mean. Believe it or not, the "increased vocal-ness" you advocate, is often the VERY REASON for these laws you're alluding to. The more that md'rs "make a stink" , is the more they simply increase the spot-light on themselves. Here's what I mean :

Say, for example, someone (bless their little heart) goes to some agency (their city hall, county hall, state park's beach, etc...) seeking clarification or permission (ie.: checking to "see if it's ok"). Their "pressing question" makes its way up the chain. Some desk-jockey passes out the safe answer of "no". So guess what the md'rs do next ? They do exactly as you prescribe (if I'm understanding you correctly) : They form solidarities to "get this overturned" and make a stink, and go further up the chain "seeking more clarifications" . Then ... presto: It lands on an archies desk, and becomes a formalized rule (instead of a fluke answer or a random scram from someone having a bad hair day).

Thus I'm of the opinion that the LESS attention we create for ourselves, the better. Not the MORE attention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 02:54PM by Tom_in_CA.
November 03, 2018 03:01PM
Geotech Wrote:

>
> I'm not so sad to see LT go. For a long time it ha
> s been recycling old stories from Treasure World a
> nd True Treasure, and a lot of those old stories w
> ere completely fabricated. I wonder how much time
> & money have been wasted chasing nonexistent treas
> ure.

Haha, you're right . My buddy submitted one of those stories back in the 1970s. Just to get the $100 (or whatever) they paid for accepted article submissions. It was just a fanciful tale of some wild-west hold-up loot. But he had the faded newspaper clippings (to create the story around some actual event, real names, dates, etc....). And then throw in a lot of conjectures (eg.: "It has been said that" .... such & such...). Then add a drawing a miner posed next to his burro. Thus, by golly, it MUST be true ! We got a laugh wondering if anyone ever went looking for it.

And this spotlights the modern day ghost-story legend chasers (Dents Run, Yamashita, Oak Island, etc...) : The "faithful" are so convinced that it "must be true", because, after all, you can certainly go look up all the various details . Ie.: real names, real events, real dates, real possibilities, etc.... But they fail to realize that ... IT DOESN'T MATTER if "99% of the story is true" . As long as the 1% isn't true (a treasure), then .... no amount of "sorting fact from fiction" makes a treasure any more true.
November 03, 2018 03:01PM
Tom that's what I have always said less attention. I don't get what You mean? I know the don't ask routine You talk about constantly and agree. But You also can't go to a public site on a 'Buddy' hunt with a half dozen Guys and not draw attention. I have always said that. I am sure People don't want to hear Me go on about that again and how We lost most are spots. But beware as it will happen to them too just a matter of time. This time a year or two back I was all smiles too as had My spots open finding Barbers and such. When it ends it Sucks unless You didn't have the passion to begin with.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 03:42PM by Harold,ILL..
November 03, 2018 03:29PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Tom that's what I have always said less attention.
> I don't get what You mean? I know the don't ask ro
> utine You talk about constantly and agree. But You
> also can't go to a public site on a 'Buddy' hunt w
> ith a half dozen Guys and not draw attention. I ha
> ve always said that. I am sure People don't want t
> o here Me go on about that again and how We lost m
> ost are spots. But beware as it will happen to the
> m too just a matter of time. This time a year or t
> wo back I was all smiles too as had My spots open
> finding Barbers and such. When it ends it Sucks un
> less You didn't have the passion to begin with.

Hi Harold. Yes: If md'rs don't want to make themselves a lightening rod for attention (and thus, a "proposed rule"), then yes: Avoid having 6 guys show up to nicely manicured turf when busy-body/lookie-lous are out and about, at high noon.

I've seen this happen. A place where md'ing has NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM. And md'rs are just ignored. And no rule exists. Till one day, 6 guys descend on the spot (as legal as it may be). And the VERY SAME passerby , who would never have noticed or paid attention to a single md'r, is all of the sudden intrigued at 6 guys all swinging geiger-counters. And sure as heck, they'll ask themselves "gee what are they doing ?" and "gee is this allowed?", etc....

As for my "don't make stinks" post : I should clarify : If it's true that there is a place that's ALREADY got a true, distinct, and enforced law or rule, then sure: It doesn't hurt to fight it. Ie.: It can't get worse. But maybe in another way, it can (in a round-about psychological way) : When these solidarity fights "make the rounds" on md'ing forums, it conjurs up a "coming to a town near you" mentality. The "Oh no, everyone hates us" psychology to the skittish readers. So guess what they do next ?? They show up at bureaucrat's desks wherever they go, asking "just to be sure". Why ? Because *certainly* they don't want to get in trouble. Or ... they want to make sure there's not a rule like in the other place(s) they read about on forum threads.

I saw this evolve from the earliest beginnings in the 1970s & 80s as a young md'r : No one, in those days, EVER THOUGHT about those things. It never OCCURRED to us that we needed to ask, or clarify, or worry, etc... (aside from obvious historic monuments, of course). But all that started to change when the md'ing magazines, and FMDAC started relating accounts of proposed laws, legal hassles, bootings, etc.... The intention was quite sincere, I'm sure (to create solidarity, inform readers as to far-away news, etc...). But the un-intended consequence was: It simply made md'rs everywhere else, go scurrying for "clarification". And then ...... presto: Your "pressing issue" gets a rule or law to address the FAQ. Doh! It was as if md'rs could be their own worst enemy.

So while it is noble to fight existing laws, yet .... it can sometimes just end up creating a ripple effect that other entities adopt the same language, or become aware of this "supposed evil", etc... sad smiley
November 03, 2018 04:56PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cal cobra, lytle-78, silverfiend & goodmore are ri
> ght : The internet & 'puters is making printed pe
> riodicals and books obsolete. And spelling the d
> oom of brick & mortar metal detecting clubs. No o
> ne gets off their duff to attend monthly meetings
> these days. They get their socializing, show & te
> ll, product comparisons, meeting up, etc... All f
> rom the comfort of their sofa at home. So clubs o
> nly exist in the largest cities these days any mor
> e.
>
> Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > I don't see much future in the industry with pub
> li
> > c sites closing more everyday. Pretty soon only
> pl
> > ace to go is Your own backyard or door knock and
> b
> > eg someone to detect theirs? Who is going to Buy
> t
> > heir Detectors if they have No where to use them
> ?
> > Especially water sites as 99% is public property
> a
> > nd let's face it just a matter of time before th
> ey
> > are all closed to Detecting.
> > If it happens to parks You think they will leave
> w
> > ater sites open?
>
> Harold, it has nothing to do with supposed encroac
> hing anti-md'ing rules or laws. It has everything
> to do with the internet replacing printed media, f
> or sources of social interaction, education, show
> & tell, etc...
>
>
> Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> -----
>
> > As for public sites closing, well,
> > get people involved and use your vote wisely.
>
> Well, yes and no. Depending on what you mean. B
> elieve it or not, the "increased vocal-ness" you a
> dvocate, is often the VERY REASON for these laws y
> ou're alluding to. The more that md'rs "make a s
> tink" , is the more they simply increase the spot-
> light on themselves. Here's what I mean :
>
> Say, for example, someone (bless their little hear
> t) goes to some agency (their city hall, county ha
> ll, state park's beach, etc...) seeking clarificat
> ion or permission (ie.: checking to "see if it's o
> k"). Their "pressing question" makes its way up
> the chain. Some desk-jockey passes out the safe a
> nswer of "no". So guess what the md'rs do next ?
> They do exactly as you prescribe (if I'm understan
> ding you correctly) : They form solidarities to "
> get this overturned" and make a stink, and go furt
> her up the chain "seeking more clarifications" .
> Then ... presto: It lands on an archies desk, and
> becomes a formalized rule (instead of a fluke answ
> er or a random scram from someone having a bad hai
> r day).
>
> Thus I'm of the opinion that the LESS attention we
> create for ourselves, the better. Not the MORE a
> ttention.

this is "dead nuts" accurate!..in all my years of detecting,NOTHING of any good has happened by drawing attention to ourselves.if "truth' be told the average person could care "two @#$%&" less about our hobby,and i have always thought
that this "attitude" was fine by me,because "generally" they left me alone to do my thing in the "field"in my view,raising public awareness has been "detrimental",and has endangered the ''survivability" of the hobby over time.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 04, 2018 02:58AM
Lost treasure was alway's sort of well had no substance..

I like western Eastern treasure

And used to like Treasure Found man they would load you up with a ton of finds in that publication.Of course there was alot more artifacts and coins being found back then on a easier national scale. ..

I remember going to the grocery store up in town on the first of every month to get a fresh copy of treasure magazines.used to love to see the finds..

Daniel...I like the North South Trader series very in depth from research standpoint....And have had some outstanding just found photos..I have a zillion copies now..LOL

Butch's American digger is a nice read too...and great finds section.He lives close by and if I have something nice Ive dug Ill meet up with him to stick in magazine on occasion.

I like the Antique bottle and glass collector magazine too...I may have every copy of that one.

I was on cloud 9 when a few magazine's went to SOME color pages ...Nothing like seeing patina as it really is!!!

Ahh Treasure magazines and a trip to the Brick and Mortar detector shops...Good times...Run down to pick some thing up and 6 hours later your still there talking detectors..LOL

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 04, 2018 05:30AM
Back in the 80's and 90's I had magazine subscriptions for every hobby and sport I was ever into. Now I no longer have the time or patience to sit down and read a magazine. I have a stack of detecting magazines right next to me that have been sitting there for over ten years waiting to be read. The internet has completely replaced what magazines used to do for us on every level. Why look at a magazine when you have an endless array of websites, forums and YouTube to browse through?

November 04, 2018 05:19PM
jmaryt Wrote:
> .....in all my years of
> detecting,NOTHING of any good has happened by draw
> ing attention to ourselves.if "truth' be told the
> average person could care "two @#$%&" less about o
> ur hobby,

True: And the average pencil pusher desk jockey LIKEWISE probably doesn't care, nor ever gave the matter much thought. UNLESS, THAT IS ... Someone comes in rattling a bunch of chains. Making themselves a giant bullseye in need of "pressing attention".

It's the old psychology song & dance of : "Sometimes no one cares ... UNTIL you ask " routine.
November 04, 2018 05:46PM
this is correct! why tempt fate?..mind your own business,and go do your thing! i have basically attempted to remain invisible when i hit the field,no matter WHERE i am!..it's worked for me for over 35 years! always remember!.."when ya f**k up the bull,
ya get the horn!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 04, 2018 06:00PM
Unfortunately some People love the attention. Maybe Mommy and Daddy did not love them enough as a Kid.
November 04, 2018 10:45PM
excellent point!..harold! some have to "piss off the bull!"
not smart enough to keep their mouths shut!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 16, 2019 04:47PM
Hi this is Bill Gallagher, a writer of lost treasure articles under 6 or 7 different names since 2013, I had many cover shots, 8 or 10, and sometimes 3 different articles in a magazine at once....I had no notice by Lee Harris or Carla concerning the closure of the magazine and they stiffed me for four or five of my articles at the end and will not answer my emails....I think they are involved in identity theft where certain people were subbed for me when it came time for sponsorship, and it is and insider deal. They will be getting paperwork for small claims from me, and maybe a lawsuit if I can get a few of the others involved to talk about this. The Tesoro closure is all a part of this. You can read 75 or so of my past asrticles reprinted by permission here :

[treasurehuntingwithbillgallagher.blogspot.com]

I will be adding another 50 or so, and the use of multiple names is detailed at that blog.
January 16, 2019 07:58PM
I like reading the mags as long as my state isn't in print! smileys with beer

HH
Mike