Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Followup with close-ups of CA relic hunt (shout out to Keith and Wayne especially smiling smiley)

Posted by Tom_in_CA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Followup with close-ups of CA relic hunt (shout out to Keith and Wayne especially smiling smiley)
October 27, 2018 09:17PM
This is closeups of a few things that some of you were asking about. Closeups to hopefully cement a better evaluation. So anyone care to take a stab at the ID's of these, now that there's high-def. and different angles and lighting ? :

#1 pix . The mold again. With some items from my own collection, of so-called "Indian pendants" . Thought maybe my bell-clapper style pendants would fit in this mold. As it turns out, they weren't an exact match. But perhaps they are a mold for this type item, yet not this exact shape . These were found @ other sites FAR away.

#2 . This is the Rifle strap swivel swing thing. As you can see from the next few pix, it has no dimple, holes etc... on the inside of the slot. Any updated guesses on this item ? The green copper "feel" is reminiscent of 1840s and earlier .

#3, another angle:

#4 yet another angle :

#5 last angle :

Cool stuff Tom

no idea on the mold thing but the other piece looks like a door knocker to me??

I like your Injun pendants thumbs down
Re: Followup with close-ups of CA relic hunt (shout out to Keith and Wayne especially smiling smiley)
October 28, 2018 03:01PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Tom...
>
> Well It could be a small trunk handle or the likes
> ...
>
>

Keith, thanx for your valuable input to the forum, and your great inputs on people's ID's. As for your image of the handle: Whether that's it, or the rifle swing swivel is it: It still seems that both explanations would need some sort of attachment point for the pivot.

Perhaps mine was an un-finished one ? Fabricated, but not yet finished ? Oh well. The patina and hand-blacksmithed feel makes it have a place in my museum site-specific trays, to be counted in my "cool age indicators" we're amassing from this site. smiling smiley

> With that design you show it locked into something
> but was made to pivot..Probably fit inside U shape
> d mount.

Not sure what you mean by this.

> That mold if its lead???could not hold high grade
> hot metals..Very few melted metals reach a liquid
> state lower than Lead...

The mold is brass or copper.

> I think Pewter melts lower
> so if its amold as it looks probably for pewter.
>
> By the way the Brass trinkets next to the mold are
> nt they Spanish saddle decorations.??..Coscohos or
> some word like that...Off of Vaqueros saddles.

Yes. I'm aware of the different explanations and names given to them. They get found in CA mission era sites. The can be ornate , with leaf-shape designs, or they can be the simple "bell-clapper" type, like the ones shown in my pix. And a few in-between variations. A guy I used to hunt with, who had found a bunch here in CA, during the '80s and '90s, used to call them "indian pendants" (trinket trade items) . So I just adopted the term. But yes, they have other names.

>
> Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2018 03:03PM by Tom_in_CA.
Re: Followup with close-ups of CA relic hunt (shout out to Keith and Wayne especially smiling smiley)
October 28, 2018 03:29PM
Keith is correct Tom. This picture is courtesy of Dan(Goldhart) on The California Forum.

El

October 28, 2018 06:15PM
Elbert Wrote:
> Keith is correct Tom. This picture is courtesy of
> Dan(Goldhart) on The California Forum.
>

El, That answers the question about the bellclaper type/size. But what about the longer more ornate ones ? Here's an example pix, of the two types next to each other . This one happens to have been worn through at the loop end :

And the "ornate" types get longer and fancier than that type (I call the style, in the above pix, the "leaf" types). I don't have any pix handy at this 'puter of the longer more ornate types. But ... just sayin' .... that the bell-clapper types aren't all there were. Are you saying that the longer more ornate ones were ... likewise .... saddle decor as well ? Could be.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2018 06:19PM by Tom_in_CA.
October 28, 2018 06:30PM
Another picture courtesy of Goldhart. This is the longer piece you have. If you go to the California forum there is a better close-up that shows what you have.

El

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2018 06:44PM by Elbert.
October 28, 2018 06:39PM
Here are some from Paul's treasure chest of some that were dug at a site we hunted.

El

October 29, 2018 07:20AM
Elbert Wrote:
> Here are some from Paul's treasure chest of some that were dug at a site we hunted.
>
> El
>
>
>

WOW eye popping smiley