Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Aluminum thumbs up

Posted by Bill long 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Aluminum thumbs up
November 04, 2018 11:00PM
youdig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Déus with the X Y graph is good as figuring out al
> uminium , and apparently the rutus alter 71 is qu
> ite good too check this vid
> [www.youtube.com]

That video describes exactly what I was trying to get across with my post. Just a simple thought. Put ALUMINUM in the same tone class with iron. Low tone= ferrous target and also equals aluminum. Everything else high tone. Forget the numbers ID for now, maybe that could come later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 11:06PM by Bill long.
November 05, 2018 12:27AM
Size, shape, depth, orientation, nearby metal, mineralization, and heck sometimes it seems like even planetary alignment can affect a target's ID and sound. Sure, a flat lying round gold ring and a piece of jagged can slaw are pretty easy to differentiate with even a bit of practice using methods like edge pass rejection and quick out. A Tesoro is an excellent detector to learn those techniques. Bobbing the coil can help gauge thickness as well, particularly on a TID machine. But throw in any of the above mentioned factors (particularly depth) and all bets are off. The more I realize this, the more junk I dig, and the more I'm rewarded with goodies I'd have otherwise missed. So no, barring some as of yet undiscovered technology aluminum will remain a pain in the a**.
November 05, 2018 01:29AM
Bill long Wrote:
> That video describes exactly what I was trying to get across with my post. Just a simple thought. Put
> ALUMINUM in the same tone class with iron. Low tone= ferrous target and also equals aluminum.
> Everything else high tone. Forget the numbers ID for now, maybe that could come later.

For most detectors, this is just a matter of cranking up the disc until all the aluminum is gone. If you want them to also grunt like a nail, some detectors can also do this. Obviously you will also say 'so long' to nickels and most jewelry. In some situations, that might be the best you can do.
November 05, 2018 10:50AM
silverfiend Wrote:
> Des, you're simply using notching filters.

No, I'm not. My bad. The (5.32) written by myself had to do with 5 minutes & 32 seconds in, in my video!
Not TID's. Nothing to do with that. Sorry for that confusion!

Oh, by the way, I never 'notch numbers on detectors', but I do 'cherry pick' TID's
In this case, what I wanted to say was I would normally ignore 12, 15 and 18 when coin shooting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 10:50AM by Des D.
November 05, 2018 01:30PM
Dan, yes, there is an ability to tell concise equal-sided objects, versus elongated / irregular shaped objects. Granted. But .... praytell .... what good does this do when trying to discern gold vs aluminum ?

I'm still not talking about gold. If I was, I'd agree with you completely. smileys with beer
November 05, 2018 02:41PM
jmaryt Wrote:
> hell no! tom! trying to compare aluminum to gold i
> n a "crapped out" park borders on the ludicrous!..
> only way is to dig it all for gold! i can't do it,
> BUT i CAN tell the difference between aluminum,and
> coins on a TESORO,because i "know" what that littl
> e sucker is telling me! sometimes the difference i
> s in "audio modulation" you will experience a nic
> e smooth "round" sound
> (to attempt to describe it),at a "slightly" reduce
> d volume.as opposed to a "sharp" 'slightly" "raspy
> "sound on aluminum.to my ears over time,aluminum a
> lmost always hits with a "sharp" sound,and the coi
> n will sound "smoother",and slightly mellower,espe
> cially as depth increases.not easy to explain,BUT
> coins never sound really "sharp" on a single tone
> tesoro,at least NOT to my ears.
>
> (h.h.!)
> j.t.
> .

JmaryT, "smoothness" or "raspy" or "sharp", etc.... don't even need to be learned on any machine, to pick coins out of trash . Assuming you meant higher conductive coins, then it's simply a matter of adjusting one's discrimination control to knock out the lower #'s.
November 05, 2018 02:46PM
Des D Wrote:
>
> Oh, by the way, I never 'notch numbers on detector
> s', but I do 'cherry pick' TID's......

Des-D : Whether a person does the "notching" by control settings on the actual machine, or does it by "ear" (cherry picking TID #s he's seeing cross his screen), either way : THAT'S STILL NOTCHING. You can elect to let the machine classify #'s as to what sound they give (or nulled out, or whatever), or do it by ear. Either way, it's still notching.
November 05, 2018 05:33PM
i don't disagree,however,i am referring to being able to "tell" the difference from"tonal quality" of various hits,REGARDLESS of where the discriminator is set! my apologies!..'clarification" was necessary!..to be frank,it's what i love about the analog responses of a single tone tesoro.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 05, 2018 06:29PM
Target profiling using every feature available to you is your best offense against aluminum trash.

HH
Mike