Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Searching with no discrimination

Posted by SkiWhiz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Searching with no discrimination
November 05, 2018 11:28AM
Not really detecting but kind of same idea. I was searching videos and for some reason some videos popped up about magnet fishing so I watched a couple of them. Never heard of such a thing but it looks like it might be fun to try. Attaching a high powered magnet to a rope tossing it into the river and letting it drag on the bottom while pulling it in. Be interesting to see what one might find. Any of you ever done it & if so any cool finds.
Re: Searching with no discrimination
November 05, 2018 11:33AM
A good way to clean trash from the water.
November 05, 2018 12:56PM
It has its dangers, so be aware of them if you're planning on trying it out:

[www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk]

[www.bbc.co.uk]
November 05, 2018 01:29PM
Tried it loads of times.
Great fun can be had if you do it with a friend!

And believe it or believe it not, it will pick up silver coins!!!
What happens is, when you 'throw and trawl it back', it will collect modern copper coins (those with ferrite cores inside, 1p's, 1c, copper euro coins) and they will "snare" or "encircle", silver coins or those coins which aren't magnetic!
The most bizarre aspect of it is to see dozens of coins all stuck ONE ON ONE in a long line and NOT all bunched up!

The final time I threw & trawled was into a shallow river and was busy dragging bits and pieces out and it became stuck between rocks!
Wouldn't you know it but I had taken out my waders a few days earlier and when I returned the very next day complete with waders and all of that the magnet was gone? Rope and all?

But, try it! You won't know what you'll find? A good spot is boat jetty's.
November 05, 2018 05:36PM
Indeed looks interesting...but don't expect silver or gold...more like fishing equipment...use a rope not a chain as if you get stuck you will swim to shore...