Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nox 600 or 800 for beach?

Posted by Edct 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nox 600 or 800 for beach?
November 05, 2018 10:27PM
Most of my hunting will be on sand and in salt water. I’m leaning towards the 600 but would like to know if the 800 would be worth the extra money ?
Re: Nox 600 or 800 for beach?
November 05, 2018 10:46PM
The 600 is all you need. Tone frequency is a non issue. You are going to dig everything above iron anyways. The only thing that the 800 might offer you that could be of use on the beach is an adjustable light. The 600 is not adjustable. But a red filter could be used for night hunting.
November 05, 2018 11:21PM
GM - nice post - short, factual, to the point. No wonder you bothered them over at that other place....

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
November 06, 2018 01:03AM
I agree with Goodmore...the 600 in wet salt sand/suds and in the water is all you need.

The only thing other than the light that the 800 will give you is if you wanted to venture up into the dry sand and hunt for small gold. The 800 has the additional option to run in single higher frequencies which could be more sensitive to smaller gold ( as well as smaller foil and aluminum !).
November 06, 2018 01:20AM
Thanks for taking the time to give me your input. I’m glad the 600 will do the trick.

Now to pick a good scoop.
November 06, 2018 08:34AM
Parental Advisory

My advice for what it's worth is to get the 800 for beaches, especially for stability moving across wet sand.

The 600 is inclined to give 'false signals; at the end of sweeps and that can be very annoying because the machine isn't happy.

It's down to Recovery rate and the ADVANTAGE of the 800 over the 600 is, it has ' 8 settings ' compared to ' just 3 '

That was my experience with the 600. I wished that I had bought the 800 = get the Equinox 800 and you can thank me later!
November 06, 2018 09:51AM
Des....I just came back from a long weekend beach hunt. My 600 does not do that. I ran a 22 Sensitivity in the wet sand. It would give a slight false when the water would pass over the coil, but that was due to running higher sensitivity in the splash zone. Stock beach one ground balance zero. The only thing changed was the sensitivity.
November 06, 2018 11:34AM
Well the tones is what im playing with right now. Iron seems to NOT wrap around to the high tones like a lot of machines...... it ends up just above the iron tones bouncing between bin 1 and 2. Ive found IN the water especially with a hard pan where you get a LOT of mineral noise its less distracting adjusting the tones.. So the tone breaks, pitch and especially the ability to reduce the volume is bay bin 1 for iron and not run a threshold i find as an advantage. You also dont have the wireless headphones or the WM 08(which is WAY over priced) to run your dirt phones (1/4" jack) with. Iron Bias and recovery setting are less. I like having the 2 gold choices especially if there are volleyball courts. These are worth looking at. Id suggest if you have a friend take a look at his 800 and settings and see if he could live with them. The 600 is a less expensive choice and both machines beach modes are the same freq and algorithm wise. If you dont need the WM08 sell it, theres a few bucks you get back........ but if you see a use for the BIG coil youd be about the same price. Now how many bought BOTH machines and sold one? Which did you sell?
November 06, 2018 12:53PM
I bought both the 800 and 600. Tested em side by side on a lot of targets. Decided the 600 was all I needed. Sold the 800.

I never used the WMO8 and still haven't figured out why it has a 3.5 mm jack instead of a 1/4. It requires an adapter to use with most wired headphones as most are 1/4.

The wired headphones that come with the 600 are junk. The wireless ones for the 800 are just Miccus SR71s. They run about $40. Only difference is they don't have a Minelab logo on them. For the price that used 600s are going for, you could get a 600, buy a pair of the wireless Miccus phones, and buy the 6 and 15 inch coils for what a new 800 costs with just the stock coil. That's my thoughts anyway.
November 06, 2018 01:19PM
And I am still a firm believer that the stock coil can do 95 percent of all the hunting. Take that 6 inch coil money and invest in a shaft. I never submerged my head this weekend so I ran the Miccus wireless in the surf. They performed very well. The point.......You can get a well performing detector for an incredible price.
November 06, 2018 01:19PM
D Tn - bingo. There is a used 600 on the for sale section of a popular forum for $550 and has been sitting there for a couple of weeks. I bought one for $525 back in March.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 01:20PM by lytle78.
November 06, 2018 03:34PM
decisions decisions lol. Hey we gave him a lot of points to review.........but bottom line is yes the 600 is a good beach machine in and out of the water.
November 07, 2018 07:57AM
Thanks folks. I’m looking forward to this spring and my new location near beaches. With 15% off for vets, I believe this is the wise route to go. The only thing that might sway me is if the manta comes out soon before spring and hits a home run. But still I’ll have to weigh the price differences.
I have two red racers that probably wouldn’t catch much value these days.. might as well keep em.

Again thanks. Equinox looks to be an exciting machine
November 10, 2018 07:41PM
What's the going street price of a 600 going for now.
November 10, 2018 07:58PM
Unless money is really tight I would recommend the 800.
The additional adjustments, especially the Recovery Speed is a big deal to me.
Just one point change on the 800 Recovery Speed is noticeable and does affect depth and separation..
I’m an old coins park hunter though. No experience with saltwater beach hunting.

The wireless package with the 800 is fantastic too.
Just seems like an easy decision to me.

Bryan
November 27, 2018 08:03PM
Just wanted to give an update.
I was set on the 600 cause of price but picked up the 800 during a cyber Monday steal.
I’m pretty excited and maybe I won’t wait for spring to hit the beach.
Need a good scoop now

Thank you all for the insights and once it’s delivered I’m sure I’ll reread through some of the tips in this thread.
November 27, 2018 11:28PM
Edct Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just wanted to give an update.
> I was set on the 600 cause of price but picked up
> the 800 during a cyber Monday steal.
> I’m pretty excited and maybe I won’t wait for spri
> ng to hit the beach.
> Need a good scoop now
>
> Thank you all for the insights and once it’s deliv
> ered I’m sure I’ll reread through some of the tips
> in this thread.

You can't go wrong with the 800. The 600 is fine but the 800 is better IMHO. If you want a great sand scoop there is only one place to buy the original that is copied the world over but never duplicated.
Reilly's Treasured Gold Don't buy a sand scoop with a wooden handle, they always become weak and break after exposure to salt water. Reilly's has the best. Good luck with your new Nox.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant