Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

So here we go

Posted by Rivers rat 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
So here we go
November 06, 2018 08:49AM
Morning to all I just come across a find of mine which the museum of London still hold .I discovered it during an archaeological survey in 2015 with my F75,it is one of my best find from this era and area , The area was pounded for 3 days by different machines searchers and eyes only prospector and archaeology were on site to record any finds .To be honest with you I had it in my hand for 1 minute max after that they came rushing to me!!!!!!!!

Hopefully the link will work fine

[i2.wp.com]

An early post-medieval copper-alloy diamond-shaped foil pilgrim badge of St George and the Dragon. The foil depicts in stamped relief (repoussé) a haloed St George kneeling in prayer facing right towards a cross. St George appears to be kneeling on the dragon. The dragon's tail can be seen on the left side of the saint and its head on his right, two of the dragon's clawed feet are seen emerging from under the saint in the lower quarter of the diamond. The central field is surrounded by a border of rope twist band and then a band of alternating diamonds, five pointed stars and crosses, with a further rope twist band around the edge. There is a trace of solder on the back in the central position. Spencer (1998, 187) postulates that a copper-alloy wire would have been attached. It has suffered damage to the outer border edge with some parts of it now missing; the central field containing George and the dragon remains predominantly intact.

It measures 41.58mm (length) x 31.94mm (width) x 0.81mm (thickness) and weighs 3.7g.

These foil badges would have been sewn directly on to clothing, as can be seen on this example with needle-pierced holes around the border. Parallels are illustrated and discussed in Spencer (1998, 187; refs. 206j, 206k and 206l.) and are dated to late 15th to mid 16th century.

Similar examples of this type of brass foil badge on the database are LON-E25B40 and LON-69C4E5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 12:27PM by Rivers rat.
Re: So here we go
November 06, 2018 11:06AM
Fascinating!!! ((( And we call this: "Just a hobby". Hmmmmmm!!! )))
November 06, 2018 04:11PM
Thanks for the history lesson.
November 06, 2018 10:51PM
Very interesting, thanks for sharing thumbs down

England has a great system worked out for relic and coin hunting. It's mutually beneficial for both the finders/farmer and museums/public, unlike our ridiculous, and antiquated system (or lack thereof actually).
November 07, 2018 12:24AM
We lack the degree of mutual trust necessary to have such a system. In order to have it, the vast majority of those involved need to believe that the system works formthe mitual benefit of the participants.

We hav sadly gone down a different road.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
November 07, 2018 12:58AM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We lack the degree of mutual trust necessary to ha
> ve such a system. In order to have it, the vast m
> ajority of those involved need to believe that the
> system works formthe mitual benefit of the partici
> pants.
>
> We hav sadly gone down a different road.

what system?...ohh! ''you find you keep!"..you mean THAT one!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 07, 2018 01:03AM
What antiquity?
Compared to across the pond our "relic treasures" aren't even green bananas.
They must snicker at the U.S. relic hunters,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,