Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What digging tool do you use?

Posted by BenG76 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What digging tool do you use?
November 09, 2018 03:12AM
I am curious what digging tools most everyone here uses. I do some leather work and I am looking into designing and building a nice replacement sheath for some of them. Kind of planning on making one for the Lesche style digger pretty soon as I figure that style is one of the most used. It even has some knock offs that look pretty close to it.

I also have a Wilcox trowel on the way so I can see what I can come up with for it. Any other digging tools out there that need attention in this department as well?
Re: What digging tool do you use?
November 09, 2018 03:27AM
Model 31 Raptor by Predator Tools is my most used. I also carry a Lesche Digging tool.
Bryan
November 09, 2018 04:51AM
BenG76 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am curious what digging tools most everyone here
> uses. I do some leather work and I am looking into
> designing and building a nice replacement sheath f
> or some of them. Kind of planning on making one fo
> r the Lesche style digger pretty soon as I figure
> that style is one of the most used. It even has so
> me knock offs that look pretty close to it.
>
> I also have a Wilcox trowel on the way so I can s
> ee what I can come up with for it. Any other diggi
> ng tools out there that need attention in this dep
> artment as well?

i use a wilcox 51s..been around forever!..lasts forever!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 09, 2018 05:24AM
Raptor 31c and lesche hand digger. Whites Ground Hawg shovel.
November 09, 2018 07:07AM
Most of the time I use a Predator Ultra Eagle. It is the smaller blade shovel...blade is only 7" long by 4" wide. Cuts perfect small plugs. It's my goto for fields, yards, etc where cutting a perfect plug is essential.

I have the Predator Raptor hand tool but I bet I've only used it one time.

Also have the older Predator e-tool style digger. They are no longer made and I traded into a brand new one my buddy had. If I am in woods or rocky ground, it is my goto tool. In fact, I see George is making his Richmond shovel again...basically the same thing except it does not fold. I may get one of those for a backup while he is making them again because that position is the only way I use the folding shovel anyway.
November 09, 2018 10:48AM
The Sampson shovel gets 100 percent of my digging work. I carry it in my non swinging hand. I never could figure out how people put muddy tools back in a pouch or sheath between holes. I hate carrying a utility belt full of heavy tools. A nail bag is all I wear. I think the Lesche digger is over rated. I dig a nicer hole with the Sampson. I dig it faster with less effort, and I don't scratch coins. Oh yeah that shovel perception thing doesn't bother me. I don't hunt parks. The TRX is put in the large pocket.
November 09, 2018 11:35AM
I use a Whites DigMaster.
November 09, 2018 01:25PM
Lesche Samson 31" T-handle for plugs.

Mokuetsubatsuki (like a hori hori but better) for finer work.
November 09, 2018 02:09PM
Treasure Wise 3 in 1. Fits in my bag and It looks better in my hand in public places than the Lesche style diggers.

HH
Mike
November 09, 2018 03:46PM
Tried many but the old 3 in 1 with the wooden handle served me well for over 20 yrs..A little shorter from sharpening but did the job...knock offs with the plastic handle just didn't hold up...
November 09, 2018 04:35PM
I'd been using a Lesche for the last 10 yrs.

I picked up one of the Radius Root Slayer trowels earlier this year and haven't used my Lesche since.
November 09, 2018 04:46PM
15.00 lowes shovel
November 09, 2018 05:50PM
For parks and urban hunting, Wilcox pro 250. Less intrusive looking then my Predator trowel. For woods and farm fields, Predator Little Eagle. Like the little smaller blade on it. HH jim tn
November 09, 2018 10:40PM
Ame's 6" long handled floral shovel. $15.00

Don't let the name and price fool you. This is is one strong shovel.

[www.ames.com]

Fiskars transplanter for target extraction. Light and strong composite. Better than metal. Less chance of scratching the target.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2018 11:11PM by Badger in NH.
November 10, 2018 12:18AM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Treasure Wise 3 in 1. Fits in my bag and It look
> s better in my hand in public places than the Lesc
> he style diggers.
>
> HH
> Mike

Looks like your digger comes with a decent leather sheath. I will have to see if there is a need for a replacement one eventually. I've meant to try one of those out myself. I once had the cops called one me as I had been walking around the playground with my Lesche in my hand. I put it up once a mother and her kids came on to the playground. They left within a few minutes and then the cops showed up. They just chuckled at the mother once they saw what I was doing It's like I told the cop. It was too darn cold for the kids to be out there. I was there at a time I figured they wouldn't be.