Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Another American detecting legend passes..

Posted by Des D 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Another American detecting legend passes..
November 09, 2018 02:05PM
A friend from Pittsburgh informed me that Ed Fedory passed away in Upstate New York on November 5th 2018

'Ed'. was a legend in detecting circles and had written extensively for "Western & Eastern Treasures"
Some of you might have made a purchasing decision on a particular detector that he wrote about in his many Field Test reports.

I had known of Ed long before joining Minelab: he wrote for us back in 1997 when his Field Test on the 'Sov XS' was published and the following year he penned his 'Musketeer XS' Field Test.
He was a wealth of information on relic hunting and on 'White's' detectors, penning "The World of the Relic Hunter" published by 'White's'

A paragraph from one of his articles is reproduced below and it has always stuck with me as it encapsulates this hobby in a nutshell!

As the sun set and the campfire grew brighter, we heard the trio returning from the cellar hole hunt. The grounds had been rough searching, but they had uncovered several hand tools from the last century and a few interesting finds. Each find was examined in turn and passed around the fire- and as with any time you get a group of relic hunters around a campfire under an October moon, the stories of past hunts began to fly.

Listening to Nate tell what it was like to find his first musketball brought back the memory and thrill of our own first recoveries. When he finished telling the story, he added, "You know, I could do this again."

"The rest of us just looked across the fire at each other and smiled.

"You're right," Chuck said. "Bitten bad!"

"What? What did I say?" asked Nate.

Carried on the wind... through the still and shadowy forest... under an October moon, came the sound of men laughing. It was a good sound!"

Condolences to his Family.
Thanks for all those memories.
Rest in Peace Ed
Re: Another American detecting legend passes..
November 09, 2018 03:09PM
I hate to hear that as the Relic Hunter was a good read in W&E Magazine. That goes back to the good Ole' days of the Hobby.
November 09, 2018 03:37PM
Very sad to hear Des. I almost always read the relic Hunter stories first when I bought a magazine copy and always marveled at the things Ed found.
I still remember a particular cannon ball he dug with the French Fleur de Lis impressed into its surface.
If I'm not mistaken I believe he was a teacher and used his finds to bring history alive for his students.
God speed Ed.
November 09, 2018 03:47PM
Very sad to hear of his passing....

Nice post Des....
November 09, 2018 04:27PM
Sorry to hear of Eds passing.----Yes, he was a school teacher.----I remember he really liked Troys X-5 and was into Revolutionary war hunting & later got somewhat into Civil war hunting.----I enjoyed his writings.
November 09, 2018 05:08PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry to hear of Eds passing.----Yes, he was a sch
> ool teacher.----I remember he really liked Troys X
> -5 and was into Revolutionary war hunting & later
> got somewhat into Civil war hunting.----I enjoyed
> his writings.

'Curiously enough, that "Troy" test report seems to have been his last Field Test for WE&T in March 2003.

Yes. He was a teacher. When he retired he enjoyed riding his 'John Deere' around his 'hobby farm' and raised chickens!'

Sounds idyllic and I'm sure he enjoyed getting off the 'merry go round!'
November 09, 2018 05:38PM
Reading his tales made one feel you were right there with him........and with most of them, I wish I was. His writings have been missed. HH jim tn
November 09, 2018 09:11PM
Talent in treasure hunting combined with talent at writing is a golden combination.
November 09, 2018 11:51PM
He didn’t go by “Ed In Upstate NY” did he??
November 10, 2018 04:36AM
met "ed" at a (b.o.n.e.) show in the late 90's in keene,nh.
never forget the conversation we had.man really knew his sh*t
he brought a'display of stuff he found in the fields,and farms of
ny state that simply was outrageous!..he also taught a "seminar" about relic hunting that had everyone "hanging" on his every word.amazing personality,and and a expert on relic hunting.i'll never forget the "experience" of listening,and interacting with him!..rest in peace ed!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 10, 2018 05:14AM
His Relic Hunter column and books always had me wanting to go dig Rev and French & Indian war relics. Also had me wanting a Whites Spectrum for a while but I never owned one.
November 10, 2018 11:57AM
I met him at several DIV Hunts. He would be in period costume and do outrageous stunts. He was however a gifted writer and it is sad to hear of is passing.
November 15, 2018 07:44PM
Dang Sad News.!

He wasn't too old either..maybe late 60s?

Alway's enjoyed his articles back in the late 80s early 90s

He talked about the early Musketeer green metal box once or twice in magazine and I knew from his persona he presented it was a no brainer to acquire one.And he was right on the money with that unit...always felt like a genuine type person..You cant tell the way people write their type personality most people I read I can tell quick by there use use words the type person they are or knowledge they posses and he gave a aurora of genuine love of relic hunting and of honesty and intelligence on the subject.

He will be missed

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla