Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Should a Distributor take back a defective detector from one of their Dealers?

Posted by texkinzee 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Should a Distributor take back a defective detector from one of their Dealers?
November 11, 2018 02:47PM
Or be told to basically pound sand with the Manufacturer?
Re: Should a Distributor take back a defective detector from one of their Dealers?
November 11, 2018 03:03PM
As a detector dealer I feel that they should.
Re: Should a Distributor take back a defective detector from one of their Dealers?
November 11, 2018 04:04PM
Interesting question, but I’m unclear about the situation. The distributor told the dealer to contact the Manufacturer - or the distributor told you to contact the Manufacturer?

It’s pretty much a new thing to expect the right to return a defective item for full credit. The warranty is from the maufacturer and limits your rights in various ways. Return for full credit is almost never one of the features of a warranty.

It’s only since mega sellers like WalMart, Amazon, etc. got in the act that we have become used to being able to “take things back”. Thainking back on it, I think Sears would do it too - if you really got in their face about it.

Having said that, metal detector dealers have often been known to accept returns. Distributors? I have no data or experience on that at all.

Is this about your Makro Kruzer?

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
November 11, 2018 04:13PM
Dist. told dealer to contact manufacturer.
November 11, 2018 05:00PM
I would think so...feel the distributor is passing the buck.....I know from dealing locally....one call usually gets it done..of course not all the same unfortunately....
November 11, 2018 09:25PM
I've always found that dealing direct with the manufacturer is the best way to go. Things get done faster without all the back and forth phone calls required when trying to deal with a Dealer Distributor chain. Less headaches and quicker satisfaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 09:27PM by Jackpine.
n/t
November 11, 2018 09:48PM
no post sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 09:50PM by GreenMeanie.
November 11, 2018 10:21PM
If the disty or dealer adds no value in resolving the issue on a new machine, and the customer is pointed to the manufacturer, then we should simply be buying direct from the manufacturer, else all we're doing is helping someone else make money for pushing paper. Before someone lights me up for my opinion, I know that for the most part this isn't the case, and most dealers will take care of their customers to the best of their ability, just pointing out if they aren't adding value to the sale, then we should simply cut the middle man out of the equation, save a few bucks, and buy direct. FTP is toying with this model, I don't doubt others may follow suit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 11:46PM by Cal_cobra.
November 11, 2018 11:05PM
The Manufacturer/Distributor/Dealer model of sales of tech staff direct to consumers is dying.

It started in an era when manufacturers couldn’t engage directly with customers and the size, weight or technical complexity of the products made even connecting directly to thousands of dealers impractical.

Now the dealers are going away and the customers can be reached directly - hello direct marketing - goodbye everyone else.

Sad when it comes to dealers, who often added real valuable e to the equation. Of course they still can, and maybe at less hassle and expense to themselves. Take orders online - hold no stock of new machines - be on direct ship from the manufacturer. I bet First Texas jumps on this. Minelab - well, I suspect that’s a different matter.

ML has traditionally been known to be really happy with maxing the “sell into” part of the business via tough dealer agreements, requiring the purchase of lots of stock from ML - then good luck with selling it to customers. “Sell into” is when the mfg. sells to the distribution chain - distributor/dealer. That’s when they get their money - sale booked in the accounting system - title and risk of loss transferred.

What comes next is “sell through” - that’s when you or I - the “end user” buy the device from somebody - in this model a dealer.

The world is changing. Only “super sellers” like Amazon, WalMart, Costco, etc can afford to “stiff” the manufacturer with offering free return for full credit for any reason.

Have you bought any technical product lately and noticed that there is a big notice from the manufacturer on brightly colored paper or bright ink that says something like “if you have any problem - DON’T take this back to where you bought it - call us at our toll free number... Why is that? It is because the deal they made with the “big box” retailer makes them eat every returned unit - whereas if they can help you be “happy” with it, they don’t have to.

I like a good dealer. Way better than a soulless - if you don’t like it, send it back - but if you want help - too bad for you.

Rick Kempf
November 12, 2018 12:08AM
My experience is dealer and distributors will take care of DOA or defects but if its after use it would typically be taken up with manufacturer/warranty. Of course every situation will vary depending on circumstances. Genrally I would think dealer and distributor will do everything they can to help out but all are not equal thats for sure.
November 12, 2018 12:22AM
The voice of experience - a serious dealer who deals ethically with his customers and expects his distributor to back him up!

There is hope for our traditional marketplace model - thanks to folks like him. I have dealt with him and recommend him wholeheartedly.

Rick Kempf