Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Taking what we have learned and applying it using older tools

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Taking what we have learned and applying it using older tools
November 12, 2018 12:49AM
I recently moved decicively and snagged a real nice Whites `6000 XL Pro from Richard at Backwoods Detectors (a great guy to deal with - by the way).

I bought it partly because I bought it was a bargain ($289 shipped) and partly because I want to play with it in settings where I have now used much more recent machines.

As our hobby and as each of our lives move on, things change. Sites are lost or found, new machines and insights gained by the inputs from others and our own experience accumulate.

Now that relic hunting is for me much more interesting than finding loose change, Discrimination is less important.

Anyway, I look forward to playing with it.

Preliminary testing serves to remind me of its limited depth in discrim unless you remember that these 4 filter machines like to be used like a weed whip - depth increases at least 50 percent with a brisk sweep. On the other hand the all metal mode is scary deep and the soft targets can be swept vigorously and you get a solid meter readout of the discrimination.

On the list for testing are my 5.3 coil plus my Bigfoot and Goldfoot coils. I am especially interested in whether the relatively low frequency will yield some see through or unmasking of high conductiors near or under iron. The Bigfoot and the Goldfoot are impressive on my IDX Pro - look forward to playing with them on this machine.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Re: Taking what we have learned and applying it using older tools
November 12, 2018 02:51AM
Has one of the best meters.

Rick
November 12, 2018 04:12AM
Yes Rick - exactly - the darned thing is ALIVE - it react like a living thing - you can almost feel its energy - a far cry from the cold artificial feeling numbers in a numerical display. Folks like my hero Keith Southern can hear stuff which I can’t and derive intelligence from a jumble of sound. I’m not like him or my departed uncle Harold who hunted Nazi subs with his headphones on an anti submarine vessel in the North Atlantic in 1943 (everybody who has read where I posted about him previously please forgive me, but - after all = it is Veterans Day)

But back to the subject. Meters like that are gone - the “living needle - totally analogue - is history. Now I have a little piece of history to hunt with.

I have always liked the tools more that the jewels = the hunting more fascinating than the kill.

Rick Kempf
November 12, 2018 09:30AM
A fine beautiful detector that has a place in the hall of fame. It will still find coins today and would be fun to tinker with.

But me I got old and my parts wore out. I could never go back to what I swung in the past. I had one with the tone ID mod. Parting with it was not easy, but it just sat in the closet. It deserved better.

Have fun and and keep us informed.
November 13, 2018 01:56PM
A friend of mine had 1 years ago and he mentioned 1 thing I still remember he had a signal on the meter and not on the audio so it tried he luck and found a nice Denarius at more than a foot.............no audio just the needle moving.

I think I tried a 5900 yeeeeears ago also but it was unstable but manage few coins anyhow..

RR
November 13, 2018 03:44PM
I'm glad you bought that thing. I had started to send Richard a message saying I would take it at least 3 different times after he posted it. I always wanted one to tinker around with but never did pull the trigger. Same with a Fisher 1270...always wanted to try one.
November 13, 2018 04:50PM
Yes I saw it and that was a steal. It was sold by the time I did. I had one with the Tone mod. Some guys like Keith and jmaryt are good at using the Sat.Mode. with it's
'dead nuts' meter as He calls it. Ha!
I never quite got the hang of that mode. The tone mode one I would use mostly with the Bigfoot coil in open sports fields. The 4th tone was Quarter up so great to cherry pick Quarters and silver rings as found quite a few with it. Also used the RNB rechargable battery pack as it would eat alkalines fast, But run forever on the RNBs and a lot lighter. A buddy of mine Hooch has one on The Depot at a pretty low price also for anyone interested.
Just a couple years ago these were red hot and going for almost twice that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2018 05:07PM by Harold,ILL..
November 13, 2018 05:42PM
I have a very nice 6000 Di Pro, but can't swing it anymore. Works like id did when I first got it. I broke my back a few years ago, and it just sets there making me want to use it but cant. I think I have the 6" Blue MAX coil, the 8" black MAX, coil and Jimmy's BigFoot coil for it. I now use a XP Deus when I get to hunt for awhile. They are very good at what they do, hope yours is as good as mine was.
November 15, 2018 07:57PM
Hey Rick

The Pro Xl is a great unit..

The G.E.B. Sat mode is stellar and meter when combined is deadly even in iron..Stick the small coils on it ...snooper or 600 ..

If the XL pro would of ever had manual ground balance on it it would of been perfect.

The meter can tell you alot about a target.even if its so deep it does not lock the meter you can tell by the meter behavior whats down there in no mans land.

its a smooth deep VLF unit that's for sure.

By the way it loves deep V Nickles and Shield's for some reason..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 04, 2019 04:47PM
Well, my whites machines seem to have succumbed to some virus. First the 6000 XL went nuts, then the IDX Pro lost its mind.

The 6000 went off to Whites and came back better than ever. Some new potentiometers and - I asked if they had a new lid for it - so I got it back with not only a new lid with new Pro XL decals, but the rod and whole meter assembly were new as well!!

The IDX is going to spend a little vacation at Keith Southern’s place for some psychoanalysis.

Rick Kempf
February 04, 2019 05:55PM
Rick, N. MI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has one of the best meters.
>
> Rick

dead nuts accurate meter! with the 5.3 black max on board,
a worthy adversary for any trashed filled park

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 04, 2019 05:59PM
Don't underestimate that 5.3 coil one of Whites best....
February 04, 2019 06:02PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Hey Rick
>
> The Pro Xl is a great unit..
>
> The G.E.B. Sat mode is stellar and meter when comb
> ined is deadly even in iron..Stick the small coils
> on it ...snooper or 600 ..
>
> If the XL pro would of ever had manual ground bala
> nce on it it would of been perfect.
>
> The meter can tell you alot about a target.even if
> its so deep it does not lock the meter you can tel
> l by the meter behavior whats down there in no man
> s land.
>
> its a smooth deep VLF unit that's for sure.
>
> By the way it loves deep V Nickles and Shield's fo
> r some reason..
>
> Keith

very,very smooth,and "killer" on deep silver if adjusted properly.
when that meter "locked up" you had a coin,and the "modulated
audio" was exceptional on deeper coins..sooo sweet!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 04, 2019 07:25PM
Agreed on that 6000 Di Pro meter, a lot could be extrapolated from it.

Always loved being able to tell the difference between zincs and coppers, killed nickels too..

Depth was right on also.

I liked the Mark 1 LTD even better especially w the tones. Payne’s masterpiece (IMHO).

Aaron
February 05, 2019 02:08AM
I have and use newer machines, but what a uncluttered feeling it is to use a beep and dig machine. Hard to explain.....maybe like opening the hood of a 1945 automobile. Simple, but functional. Taking my Compadre out can be like medicine for the mind....LOL
February 05, 2019 10:29PM
Arkansas Wrote:
> I have and use newer machines, but what a unclutte
> red feeling it is to use a beep and dig machine. H
> ard to explain.....maybe like opening the hood of
> a 1945 automobile. Simple, but functional. Takin
> g my Compadre out can be like medicine for the min
> d....LOL

and coins and jewelry for your pockets!
compadre,and mojave best "short money"
coin and jewelry"sniffers" in the hobby!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 08, 2019 01:44PM
Rick,

Good report on Whites service. I always had great customer service from them. Glad to hear that continues. Amazing how they can bring a unit that long in the tooth back to good as new.

Keep that XL-Pro working. It's a Hall of Famer for sure.