Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Looks like 10,000 reasons to buy a Tesoro spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Looks like 10,000 reasons to buy a Tesoro spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
November 20, 2018 03:35PM
That's one of the main reasons I make my video's, My father died relatively young and my kids never really knew him so I decided to make video's to leave behind in case the same happens to me. At least my grand kids will know what their grand pap looked like alive and what he did for fun. smiling smiley
Re: Looks like 10,000 reasons to buy a Tesoro spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
November 21, 2018 01:01AM
calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>whats the point of finding killer stuff and never showing it?>

The point to me is the joy of research. The joy of anticipation. The joy of finding long lost silver and other coins, tokens, rings, relics and other keepers. The joy of exercise and fresh air. The joy of being outside and not even noticing the cold. The joy in friends made thanks to this hobby.

For me, showing off my finds ranks below all of the above.

At the risk of sounding new age goofy, I call it the zen of detecting. I take immense joy just in the simple act of swinging a detector.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 01:02AM by marcomo.
November 21, 2018 01:12AM
I take joy in those acts too …. I also take JOY in filming the stuff I find and showing it to people. My metal detecting ZEN must be off.
November 21, 2018 01:51AM
I have to admit I do enjoy some videos. Dirtfishing has some good stuff. I like to hear what trash targets sound like vs good targets. Magnet fishing videos and Thames river searching videos are also fun. I personally love to dig carved bullets

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 04:49AM by Arkansas.
November 21, 2018 02:30AM
I enjoy watching videos that show the response the detector has on a potential target, then see the target recovered. I find videos that skip the detecting part and just show the recovered targets to be a pointless waste of time. I also like detector comparison videos if they are unbiased. Scannerguy has some of the best detector comparison videos, in my opinion. He’s not trying to make you see it his way, he’s just showing it like it is.
November 21, 2018 07:56AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> jmaryt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > 10,000 reasons but innovation ain't one.
> >
> > (b.s.)..innovation in a metal detector is NOT
> a "p
> > re requisite" for making "good finds!"
never
> has b
> > een,and never will be! ..beware the man who owns
> j
> > ust one detector,and knows his instrument.
> >
> > (h.h.!)
> > j.t.
>
> My first detector was a Bandito so i know how good
> they are. However, everyone can agree, in order to
> grow you have to change and with change comes inno
> vations or improvements. Tesoro's sheer lack of ch
> ange signifies a company that refuses to grow. Any
> experienced detector knows how good the Tesoros ar
> e. Imagine if they actually took the time to impro
> ve them.

good point! well taken,but i am simply saying that "innovation"
taken by itself is NOT necessary if one IS one with his detector!
he can still find a 'ton" of good stuff,WITHOUT the latest,and greatest "technically"" advanced equipment..don't "misconstrue" what i say,however,i DO see your point,and agree with it.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 21, 2018 08:03AM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Im gonna film everything I can. When im dead and g
> one my grandkids can look back at my adventures an
> d say ole grandpa was a real treasure hunter. Or I
> could keep those things secret and let the adventu
> res die with me. I choose the former....Another th
> ing whats the point of finding killer stuff and ne
> ver showing it? JMARTY comments above make no sens
> e to me...its like guys who film and post their fi
> nds are BAD...What kind of thinking is that?
>
> This is a little off topic but I have ran into thi
> s more than once...
>
> Seems to me the guys who get offended by others po
> sting their finds are normally the guys not findin
> g much. I have had fruit loops comment about me po
> sting my finds on multiple forums and I just shake
> my head. The internet is a interesting place somet
> imes. Envy and jealousy can be hard emotions to de
> al with and if someone has a problem with them ove
> r others finds they might need to quit looking at
> them.
> I

ol' cal! they don't make any sense to you because you misunderstand what i said! i don't care what you do! has zero impact on me! "bash" yourself to death if you want! as the asians say!.it's suuuup to you!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 08:08AM by jmaryt.
November 21, 2018 11:57AM
I like this post..... Im wondering why your on the forums with what you said in it? Im also wondering how you know these guys even exist since their so secretive? So all who post on forums and show their finds are not part of this super secret metal detecting society? LOL Are you one of those conspiracy theorists fellows that thinks the Government killed Elvis? ...smiling smiley

jmaryt Wrote:
> right! guys who have been at this for a long time!
> NEVER reveal anything! not interested in attention
> ! could care less! no movies no tv, no forums,no i
> nternet!..nothin!..the less anybody knows,the bett
> er..why tempt fate,or worse?
>
> (h.h.!)
> j.t.
November 21, 2018 01:54PM
90%+ people who metal detect never post about it nor visit metal detecting social sites. I guess that means the vast majority of beepers are "super secret hunters" LOL
November 21, 2018 02:27PM
If detectorists were so secretive, there wouldn't be any relic ID books, relic shows, etc. Every relic identification book that I know that has ever been published, has been put together by relic hunters, all of them having hundreds of pictures of relics from collaboration of other relic hunter's collections. Then there are the digging magazines and all that stuff on top of that. If you find something that you don't know what it is...back before the internet, you took said item to the relic shows where the old timers there could probably give you an answer on what it was/is. Three of the best Civil War era history books in the East TN area...all three written by relic hunters sharing their knowledge of sites that are long gone.

My thinking on this subject, especially when it is history related, goes like this. This area I live in has been under huge development over the last decade. Sites that I used to hunt 20 years ago, are simply gone now. Under concrete. Under houses. Under shopping plazas, subdivisions, etc. Gone. The relics I found on them...I am the only link between when they were lost/discarded during the war...and when/where they were found. When I'm gone, that link dies and those relics just become random items in a display case with no story to tell. If I'm alive, I can tell the story. Maybe if I did a video while out digging, I could have that to help tell that story for when 5 or 6 years down the road from now, the site is completely gone. That's the part I agree with the Archies on when it comes to hunters pillaging a site. Everything should be documented and recorded with a story of where it was, what it is, and why it was there.....not just thrown into a random bucket or display case with no context to it. My relics all have a story to tell...even down the the lowly fired 3 ring minie ball.
November 21, 2018 02:28PM
I know a few guys in my area that detect, and most don't even know there are metal detecting forums. When I mention it, they look at me like I'm some kind of detecting super-nerd. They just want to have fun and find stuff, and don't give a crap about what's the latest and greatest. And two of those guys, right here at work....wait for it.... swing Tesoros too!!
November 21, 2018 02:35PM
silverfiend Wrote:
> 90%+ people who metal detect never post about it n
> or visit metal detecting social sites. I guess th
> at means the vast majority of beepers are "super s
> ecret hunters" LOL

I'm not sure how you came up with the number, but i get your point. Look at how many people lurk but don't join the forums.

As I type this at 8:30 AM Central time there are only three members online here but a whopping 102 "guests"

No doubt a percentage of those 102 are detecting wannabes, but many are detectorists who want to stay incognito.
November 21, 2018 04:52PM
marcomo Wrote:
> silverfiend Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 90%+ people who metal detect never post about it
> n
> > or visit metal detecting social sites. I guess
> th
> > at means the vast majority of beepers are "super
> s
> > ecret hunters" LOL
>
>
> I'm not sure how you came up with the number, but
> i get your point. Look at how many people lurk but
> don't join the forums.
>
> As I type this at 8:30 AM Central time there are o
> nly three members online here but a whopping 102 "
> guests"
>
> No doubt a percentage of those 102 are detecting w
> annabes, but many are detectorists who want to sta
> y incognito.

First, many of those "guests" are bots crawling for info updates. How did I come up with that number? Simple. I stop and talk to ever person I see detecting (because there are precious few around). Over 2 decades I have talked to many diggers but almost none are on any forums or social groups besides maybe a local club. Secondly, look at how many detectors are being sold and look at how many people ACTUALLY interact on any forum you know. 10% would likely be a gross over-estimation.
November 21, 2018 05:03PM
It's hard to beat any Tesoro with a small coil in heavy trash. I have gone to sites club members pouned to death with the the latest and greatest machines. I even got laughed at once because supposedly this late 1800's scraped homesite was "hunted out" with hundreds of dig holes everywhere. I was "wasting my time."
After about 30 minutes, I amazed a few when I pulled a 1917 Mercury dime out and a few early Wheaties. These coins were completely surrounded by old dig holes...surrounded by trash.

I've done this many many times. With a small coil, I'm able to isolate missed targets between dig holes going slow, taking my time with and examining every pop, click and crackle at all sweep angles.
This style of hunting isn't for everyone though. I enjoy the challenge. I also have the patience because I've learned, it's paid off more times than I can count. Once you become proficient with a beep and dig detector, it begins to make sense what's going on in the ground.
When someone says "it's hunted out", all I hear is, it's been hit hard, but we left some for ya. Challenge accepted!

If you make your decision to dig or not to dig based on target ID, you're leaving lots of good targets behind. Been there done that. TID can be useful under certain hunting conditions, but a small coil and trained ear beats any bells and whistles machine. Especially at trashy sites!
November 21, 2018 05:44PM
PulltabKing Wrote:
> It's hard to beat any Tesoro with a small coil in
> heavy trash. I have gone to sites club members pou
> ned to death with the the latest and greatest mach
> ines. I even got laughed at once because supposedl
> y this late 1800's scraped homesite was "hunted ou
> t" with hundreds of dig holes everywhere. I was "w
> asting my time."
> After about 30 minutes, I amazed a few when I pull
> ed a 1917 Mercury dime out and a few early Wheatie
> s. These coins were completely surrounded by old d
> ig holes...surrounded by trash.
>  
> I've done this many many times. With a small coil,
> I'm able to isolate missed targets between dig hol
> es going slow, taking my time with and examining e
> very pop, click and crackle at all sweep angles.
> This style of hunting isn't for everyone though. I
> enjoy the challenge. I also have the patience beca
> use I've learned, it's paid off more times than I
> can count. Once you become proficient with a beep
> and dig detector, it begins to make sense what's g
> oing on in the ground.
> When someone says "it's hunted out", all I hear is
> , it's been hit hard, but we left some for ya. Cha
> llenge accepted!
>
> If you make your decision to dig or not to dig bas
> ed on target ID, you're leaving lots of good targe
> ts behind. Been there done that. TID can be useful
> under certain hunting conditions, but a small coil
> and trained ear beats any bells and whistles machi
> ne. Especially at trashy sites!

That's interesting.----What would you say your "trash to treasure" (coins) percentage is?-----Not trying to be critical--just curious.-----You made a good point--thanks for posting & welcome to the forum.----------Del.
November 21, 2018 06:00PM
One more thing, I was a lurker on this forum for years. I've posted maybe a dozen times on a couple of other forums over the years. I share 95% of my finds with my old hunting buddies or a club.
I'm one of those people that don't like the direction the internet has taken. What you say on the internet is there forever, even if you go back and delete it. Even if you type something out on your smartphone and never send it.
I don't wear a tin foil hat either. I'm simply mindful of how data is collected. What may be fine today, may come back to haunt you in 20 years. Who knows, but watching big data play out over the last 20 years, doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I have kept up with technology and computers for years. I learned BASIC in the mid 80's when I was 13 years old on an old Texas Instruments computer and a book. It kinda grew on me from there. I saw this whole privacy thing coming back in the late 90's when popups and viruses became prevalent. People creating this garbage to spy on user activities. Why? Who cares what other people do on the internet...right?

Well, it slowly became big business with a simple cookie.
Remember the .com bubble? To me, this is when tech business models changed. The survivors had to.
Huge data companies and Web hosting became interested in advertising. Google was born.  ISP's became interested. Facebook was born. The investors along for the ride the whole time. All fueled by our data so someone can make a few cents on each of us. It goes deeper, but that's not for this forum. I'm not even sure what I've typed so far is. LOL!

Now it's out of control! I chose my forums carefully. What I post here is worth it simply because the group of people that hang out here are more interesting and intelligent than people on other forums. That alone makes it worth putting my thoughts out there for all to see.

Just be mindful of what you put out there and minimize your digital footprint. Don't fall for emotional triggers that flood the internet. It's cancer just like Facebook.
Script blockers, VPN's and malware tools are lifesavers for you computer users. Don't even get me started on smartphone security. Which is none. LOL!

Sorry if I derailed this thread. I have a lot to say. I live in the middle of a cotton field in a tiny town. No interaction to a real conversation. I'm not a farmer and don't drink beer often. Not much in common with the farmers out here. I just like to dig up what their great grandparents left in the ground.
November 21, 2018 09:50PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
That's interesting.
What would you say your "trash to treasure" (coins) percentage is? Not trying to be critical
just curious.
You made a good point.
thanks for posting & welcome to the forum.
Del.

That's a good question with two answers.

When I lived in the big city of Fort Worth, the trash was much different there than what I'm plagued with now. I now deal with astronomical amounts of small, medium and large rusty nails! Nothing makes me want to pack up and go home more than digging a pouch full of nails!! I'll dig pulltabs all day! LOL!

In Fort Worth, the old homesites that were demolished, were typically in bad neighborhoods. Those sites were littered with Colt 45, Bud screw caps and pulltabs. Naturally the can slaw was everywhere too.

Small rusty nails were present, but nothing like the higher conductor aluminum.
On those "hunted out" sites that I love to hunt, previous hunters dug most of that junk up for me. I dug my fair share being the cleanup guy, but nowhere the quantity of trash like you would dig hitting a virgin homesite.
I would say on the hunted out" sites that were pounded, my bag would have 60-70% keepers and 40-30% trash.

Digging trash is inevitable. I rarely set my discrimination higher than foil and never maxed out sensitivity. Depth wasn't my priority at those sites. Once you get the hang of it, that 4" concentric coil and the 5.5" could paint a picture in my brain with sound alone.

Coins have have a distinct sound to size ratio flow. It's hard to explain, but this is exactly how I visualize it.
I see audio waveforms.
If you can understand audio waveforms and visualize sound with your ears, after some practice, you'll understand it. Or maybe I have a touch of synesthesia! LOL!

I tinker around with synthesizers. Manipulating samples or tweaking a sawtooth waveform to create a particular sound I'm looking for is probably why I find beep and dig machines easy for me.

It just takes practice and an ear to hear the slight variations.
My Vaquero gives a certain sound to size on nickels. I would say I'm 80% accurate when I predict that particular nickel sound.

Part two to your question...my hunting conditions where I live now?
Iron iron everywhere. I hate iron.
Unless I'm at a site with the potential an iron target maybe something amazing like an artillery shell, iron ain't my thing. I couldn't even begin to come up with a trash to keeper ratio out here. Honestly if I could, it would be embarrassing! LOL!

I've found my fair share of silver, tokens and cool relics in all that iron out here. But I know for sure, I've just barely touched the surface.

Barely touched the surface because I'm beginning to believe, I have the wrong tools for this ground.
I need something that runs at a higher frequency (19kHz or slightly higher) that discriminates at a higher resolution in the iron range. I want a detector that will hear everything...iron and all with at least 2 tones. This new challenge is about plucking that Seated dime amongst the rusty nails now. I have no dig holes to dig between anymore. But I still have the patience to learn something new. 

So out here, I dig far more rusty nails than keepers. Plus, very few if any people have cleaned up before me like they did in Fort Worth. There is very little can slaw, screw caps and pulltabs. It's all rusty nails!

I'll be honest, digging out here is almost like starting all over in this hobby. I've been extremely frustrated digging a  sweet sound only to find a nail. The few machines I have left after my divorce in 2011, I feel were better suited in higher conductor can slaw. 14kHz is about as high as I have. No matter how I ground balance or set discrimination, I know good targets are being left.

I've been really really interested in the Deeptech machines. Like the Smart Plus or the Vista Gold Gain. I'm confident I would be able to pick up on the audio language quickly. I've even looked at a used Fisher F19. I've thought about a Tejon just to stay Tesoro.
But then again I keep going back to Deeptech to try something different.
Some people swear by Tesoro in iron. Maybe I have unusual conditions I haven't discovered yet. Maybe what they think is heavy iron is just moderate. I don't know. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, this hobby throws an "IRON" monkey wrench at me.

These newer machines are completely new territory for me. Whatever I buy next, has to be used and cheap. I have a few more years before I'm able to go hog wild buying new toys again.
Did I mention how much I hate iron? winking smiley
November 22, 2018 12:05AM
The metal detectorists that post online (video or forums) are only a portion (probably small portion) of hobby treasure hunters. There are hobby treasure hunters and then there are treasure hunters.
November 22, 2018 07:11AM
silverfiend Wrote:
> 90%+ people who metal detect never post about it n
> or visit metal detecting social sites. I guess th
> at means the vast majority of beepers are "super s
> ecret hunters" LOL

this is true! i am not sure how secret they are,but they don;t get involved with the social aspects of it! possibly have an aversion to social media?..not sure! ..in any event you are right !..they just do their thing and are done with it! no exposure,no talk,just go out and hunt!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 22, 2018 07:14AM
Dan B Wrote:
> I know a few guys in my area that detect, and most
> don't even know there are metal detecting forums.
> When I mention it, they look at me like I'm some k
> ind of detecting super-nerd. They just want to hav
> e fun and find stuff, and don't give a crap about
> what's the latest and greatest. And two of those g
> uys, right here at work....wait for it.... swing T
> esoros too!!

what he said! lots of guys out there don't care two sh**ts about
talkin' about what they do! ..way it is, is all! rather hunt and find good sh**t then talk about it! nothin' wrong with that! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 22, 2018 07:22AM
PulltabKing Wrote:
> It's hard to beat any Tesoro with a small coil in
> heavy trash. I have gone to sites club members pou
> ned to death with the the latest and greatest mach
> ines. I even got laughed at once because supposedl
> y this late 1800's scraped homesite was "hunted ou
> t" with hundreds of dig holes everywhere. I was "w
> asting my time."
> After about 30 minutes, I amazed a few when I pull
> ed a 1917 Mercury dime out and a few early Wheatie
> s. These coins were completely surrounded by old d
> ig holes...surrounded by trash.
>  
> I've done this many many times. With a small coil,
> I'm able to isolate missed targets between dig hol
> es going slow, taking my time with and examining e
> very pop, click and crackle at all sweep angles.
> This style of hunting isn't for everyone though. I
> enjoy the challenge. I also have the patience beca
> use I've learned, it's paid off more times than I
> can count. Once you become proficient with a beep
> and dig detector, it begins to make sense what's g
> oing on in the ground.
> When someone says "it's hunted out", all I hear is
> , it's been hit hard, but we left some for ya. Cha
> llenge accepted!
>
> If you make your decision to dig or not to dig bas
> ed on target ID, you're leaving lots of good targe
> ts behind. Been there done that. TID can be useful
> under certain hunting conditions, but a small coil
> and trained ear beats any bells and whistles machi
> ne. Especially at trashy sites!

what he say! "dead nuts" on! ..tesoro with a small coil on board?
in the junk?.."nasty!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 05, 2019 10:04PM
My 2c worth. I enjoy finding things of course. I also enjoy watching others find things. The bigger the better. Hats off to all who have the patience and willingness to do the job right. Most jobs are 90% attitude and 10% effort.

George
April 06, 2019 04:50AM
i should have answered this sooner! my apologies as i am just viewing it now! you misconstrued my meaning.i needed to me more specific.i am basically referring to the digging aspect of exposure,and how it can be detrimental to the hobby by exposing the recovery of items in the ground and opening up holes to retrieve them.GENERALLY this looks bad to people viewing this on a media source ,whatever the source,and gets sites shut down over time! better to limit exposure from that perspective...no! i am not jealous,and am not offended,so post your brains out! you are gonna do what you are gonna do! i don't care! it's just bad for the hobby overall,and yes! i do find my share as i have been at this for over 35 years. the "exposure"
in my view is something we should stay away from.if you want to
to keep the hobby going for future generations,..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 06, 2019 12:38PM
Yeah, they are sooo good that Tesoro is selling a ton of them and are prospering as a company and putting some of their money in to R&D and.....and ....eye rolling smiley......

Dean