Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which Detector Is Best For RELIC HUNTING?

Posted by tabman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Which Detector Is Best For RELIC HUNTING?
November 21, 2018 01:07PM
Having a detector that can use a small 'concentric' search coil a plus for detecting a site like mentioned in the first post?

tabman
November 21, 2018 04:37PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I have a site with tin, flat iron.
> I may actually do a video showing Deus, Anfibio, and Equinox.
> So folks can see how they compare.
>
> Tin, can be a real headache.
> If my memory serves me correctly, Nokta Impact did a lot better than Deus here.

Flat rusty tin? As the Anfibio and MMK are basically the same DNA, how does the Anfibio do on this pesky flat rusty tin?

Would love to see the MMK vs the EQ800 on this stuff. We find it in about every 1800's ghost town in existence in the west.
November 21, 2018 06:34PM
tabman Wrote:
> Having a detector that can use a small 'concentric
> ' search coil a plus for detecting a site like men
> tioned in the first post?
>
> tabman

Best Machine I ever used around rusty tin was one of Dimitars. Most people are familiar with the Coinstrike and ID Edge but their little brother the ID Excel was able to wade right through the tin can dumps near the lumber camps and pull non-ferrous right next to the edge of the rusty tin. Wish I had kept it, but frankly that was about all it was good for.
November 21, 2018 08:32PM
I only have a couple months on the Deeptech VG Gain, but I have dug more iron on purpose in these months than the rest of my detecting time prior. The large iron items give high tone, but the edges still go to low...lets me select nice sized iron to dig, and leave the nails, as those almost always have rough dirty sounds. So far the best iron relic is both parts of an old axe head that split on diagonal corners...found a couple feet apart from each other. On the other hand, it does amaze me that NON iron can be almost any whacked bent up shape like broken brass buckles, and still sound good without rough sound. Coins and buttons...the round items are so distinct. Disc is obviously not designed for modern sites with tons of aluminum....but I am trying to stick to the oldest sites I can find.
November 21, 2018 10:01PM
tabman Wrote:

You're at an old home place that's loaded up with
square nails, rusty tin can tops, pieces of rusty tin and all different size pieces of iron and you
want to find all the non-ferrous targets at that site.  Which detector do you think would do the best job and why?

tabman

I'm glad you asked this question. I'm facing this exact issue. It's time for a new tool so I can work on this iron problem where I'm at.
Looking forward to more replies from everyone.
All this Deeptech VGG talk is gonna get me in trouble. I want one so bad right now. But I'm trying to be a good boy and save money to buy one like a responsible adult. You're not helping here! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 10:09PM by PulltabKing.
November 21, 2018 11:16PM
I haven't read about anyone using the XP Goldmaxx Power machines. They are born and bred for relic hunting. Set your iron disc break point along with proper filtering (Euro ground balance[/[/color]b]) and off you go. Can be adjusted to two tone if preferred. 18 KHz and no target disking. Wonderful machine for iron littered sites and not often fooled. No meter, just a variation of tones. And machine can handle some pretty rotten soil conditions. AND, wireless headphones
November 22, 2018 12:48AM
I will give a nod to the Nokta FORS Relic with 5" round coil, 2 tone mode for iron trash sites.
November 22, 2018 12:50AM
Not meaning to sound like an old fuddie duddie but the T2 ain't bad, matter of fact it's really good. Especially the upgrade version. With the 5" coil 99 sens. 0 disc. And iron volumn set on 2A you'll head home with a smile on your face, or at least a big grin.
November 22, 2018 01:20AM
The MMK/Anfibio is the closest thing out of the more modern machines with the 7in concentric coil to performance in the old ghost towns, homesteads etc out west here on Colorado, Utah, Nevada as a Tesoro with a 5in concentric. MMK is a wonder in these conditions with that coil. If XP would make a small concentric for the Deus I would be all over that immediately.
November 22, 2018 01:47AM
Bill long Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I will answer following question instead of the
> on
> > e asked.
> > Which VLF detectors would Inwant to hunt a good
> ol
> > d site full of iron many times and once done not
> h
> > ave much interest in returning. Unless of cours
> e
> > something materializes indeed offers more perfo
> rm
> > ance than these below.
> >
> > Deus both Hf coils, and Deus with 11” X35 Coil.
> > Equinox 800 with stock coil and smallest coil.
> > Anfibio with smallest football coil
> > Anfibio with small round coil.
> > Anfibio with 7” concentric coil
> > CTX with stock coil.
> > Might through the Anfibio with 9” concentric in
> he
> > re too,
> >
> > Those will do.
>
>
> Have you been using the Anfibio?

That's awesome. Thanks TN
November 22, 2018 01:59AM
I for one would appreciate that video.

El
November 22, 2018 02:25AM
Just watched several of your Videos Brian, Thought I would tell you I really enjoyed them.
I like it when the digs reflect real life and show the trash as well as the treasure.
Massive congrats on your half eagle! Well done sir!
Cheers,
Drew.
Which Detector Is Best For RELIC HUNTING?
November 22, 2018 04:11AM
For the worst of the worst areas, I have a Racer 2 or CoRe with attached 5" coil.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
November 22, 2018 04:30AM
Druid Wrote:
> Just watched several of your Videos Brian, Thought I would tell you I really enjoyed them.
> I like it when the digs reflect real life and show the trash as well as the treasure.
> Massive congrats on your half eagle! Well done sir!
> Cheers,
> Drew.

Thanks Drew, appreciate it.

I cannot wait to get back to the gold coin site, have not been able to return since that half eagle was recovered, and I suspect there are more there.

GL&HH,
Brian
November 23, 2018 08:07PM
One more vote here for the MMK. Particularly with a 7" concentric. It has replaced the Treasure Baron Cointrax as my go-to relic machine. And that's saying something. One big plus not mentioned is the ability to notch out those upper few digits. Quiets down the wrap-around noise substantially.
November 24, 2018 04:06PM
Welgund Wrote:

> If XP would make a small concentric for the Deus I would be all over that immediately.

I hear ya ! One of the reasons I don't use my Deus as much is due to it not having a small concentric coil.