Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any Fisher F75 Swingers Out There?

Posted by tabman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Any Fisher F75 Swingers Out There?
November 27, 2018 12:55AM
Thanks Mike,
I don't think an F75 would be my go to for cache hunting, there are more specific machines that have that area covered, probably one of the reasons the old Garrett GTI 2500 is still around sold with their Eagle Eye two box.
I love the F75 for general use for their exceptional ergos.
May have to give a F75+ a shot somewhere down the line.
Cheers,
Drew.
November 27, 2018 01:35AM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Definitely one of the better vintage detectors.

Vintage detector! What is the definition/ criteria to classify a detector as vintage.
November 27, 2018 02:11AM
To me, a vintage detector must be at least twenty years old and discontinued.

The F-75 is nowhere near vintage.

November 27, 2018 02:30AM
Bill long Wrote:
> Cabin Fever Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Definitely one of the better vintage detectors.
>
>
> Vintage detector! What is the definition/ criteria
> to classify a detector as vintage.
> ,

It was a good detector for its time and still is of course..
It’s just been passed by better offerings from Minelab and Nokta/Macro.

They have milked their lineup long enough with all their extra special limited editions and color changes.

Bryan
November 27, 2018 01:58PM
If Fisher just now released the F75 there would be those who would champion it as an outstanding top of the line detector and the best thing since sliced bread.

tabman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2018 04:29PM by tabman.
November 27, 2018 04:01PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
-
> It was a good detector for its time and still is o
> f course..
> It’s just been passed by better offerings from Min
> elab and Nokta/Macro.
>
> They have milked their lineup long enough with all
> their extra special limited editions and color cha
> nges.
>
> Bryan

Passed? Probably a better assessment would be that the other companies have finally caught up to what the F75 offered in terms of recovery and unmasking. They are still behind it in terms of ergonomics and battery consumption if one who gets one buys a good set of rechargeable AA batteries for $20. Just as Fisher has continuously refined their F75 , Minelab and others are simply refining their platforms to do the same thing. "Multi IQ" may be "revolutionary" to Minelab but in real world use it's showing that it's really just a refinement of their existing technology. Wireless , modularity , waterproofing , updateability , all are nice additional features , like the clock on the CTX , but all designed to attract the technologist who wants to think of themselves as a detectoristwinking smiley
November 27, 2018 05:01PM
I've always said the F75 and T2 left a high mark for other detectors to surpass. I'm not too fond of the DST stuff...I still feel they are neutered compared to the non DST models. Even when you turn the DST off, it's still not equal to a non DST model machine. I am referring specifically to the all metal mode. I know some of you guys like disc mode but I find it useless most everywhere I have taken it. It is too quick to down grade non ferrous signals into the ferrous range. The major strength of the F75 for me was the motion all metal. If I rated the F75...one with the good and strong all metal mode...it would still to this day be in my top 3 favorite VLF machines. If I rated it strictly based on disc mode performance...it doesn't even crack my top 5...maybe not even the top 10. My buddy still has a black non DST version that will smoke any current VLF machine in the ground when it comes to depth...as long as its in all metal. I had a couple of the newer ones trying to see how they compared after hearing they had worked out the weak all metal problems. When we put em side by side it didn't take long to see what was still the king of the mountain. That is the one machine I fear when hunting...I'm who taught him the all metal mode stuff on an F75 and he is deadly with it.

In my ground, a Nox in disc mode is several inches deeper than the F75 in disc mode...and roughly the equiv to a DST version's all metal mode. So for me...that high mark has been surpassed, at least with the newest F75 versions. You can play with different coil combinations and eek some performance out here and there. I really liked the NEL Tornado on the F75. The newer gen Ultimate coils boosted it too. On the newer DST models, it took a 12x13 coil to reach the equiv to my buddy's non DST model...with the stock coil on it. Then if you wanted to be sick, you could put one of those bigger coils on it...wow. That put it being near the pulse detector max depths for machines like the Whites TDI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2018 05:17PM by Daniel Tn.
November 27, 2018 06:43PM
I think some of our disagreements about these detectors stems from the type of hunting we do and our locations..
The Fisher/Teknetics Detectors just can’t compete in my area for deep turf, old coin hunting. It’s not even close.

CTX and E-Trac users will argue with me too, but I have sold both of mine because the Equinox 800 is hands down the best old coin,
deep turf detector I have ever used.
It is re-opening my sights and I feel more confident with it then any other detector I have used.

The software update was a noticeable, genuine improvement to my Equinox and its nice to know it has the ability to be improved
without sending it in or buying a new model with some letters or pluses add to its name showing it’s slightly different or improved..

Wireless, light, waterproof, simultaneous multi frequencies along with several single frequencies to choose from in one detector.
Deepest detector with accurate ID at depth that I have ever used.

If Fisher or any other company comes out with something to beat it, I will be the first on the list to buy it. I don’t care who makes it.
I just want the best performance I can get my hands on for my type of hunting, in my location.

Bryan
November 27, 2018 09:40PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> I think some of our disagreements about these detectors stems from the type of hunting we do and our locations..
> The Fisher/Teknetics Detectors just can’t compete in my area for deep turf, old coin hunting. It’s not even close.
>
> CTX and E-Trac users will argue with me too, but I have sold both of mine because the Equinox 800 is hands down the best old coin, deep turf detector I have ever used.
> It is re-opening my sights and I feel more confident with it then any other detector I have used.
>
> The software update was a noticeable, genuine improvement to my Equinox and its nice to know it has the ability to be improved without sending it in or buying a new model with some letters or pluses add to its name showing it’s slightly different or improved..
>
> Wireless, light, waterproof, simultaneous multi frequencies along with several single frequencies to choose from in one detector. Deepest detector with accurate ID at depth that I have ever used.
>
> If Fisher or any other company comes out with some thing to beat it, I will be the first on the list to buy it. I don’t care who makes it. I just want the best performance I can get my hands on for my type of hunting, in my location.
>
> Bryan

You're exactly right. Although I highly value Nasa Tom's reviews and comprehensive testing, I've also learned that what works for him in his inert Florida soil, doesn't translate to working for me in mineralized California and Nevada soil. Also keep in mind that there are many types of ground minerals, so just saying "mineralized" soil doesn't really tell us much. That said I still learn a lot from Tom's techniques and experience that translates to all types of soil.

That's why for some the F75 (and it's multitude of variants) work well for some, and not for others. I used one for many, many years, and over time and experience and flagging targets with other experience hunters using different detectors, I realized that it was not the best detector for relic hunting or deep coin hunting HERE. Here multi-frequency machines tend to reign supreme (particularly for deep coin hunting or salt water beach hunting), be it the Explorer, Etrac, CTX, V3i, heck even the CZ can cut through challenging mineralization with better TID at depth than the F75 will have here. Also a fact, verified by both Nasa Tom AND Dave Johnson is that the F75 is blinded by degenerated flat iron that's effectively turned into iron dust, this stuff is prevalent at many relic sites we detect. Machines like the Racers/and Multi Kruzers have figured out to overcome this challenge, and handle various types of mineralization better then the F75 does out here, thus they do better. As sites get more and more worked out, you need every competitive advantage available - depth, separation and the ability to handle all forms of iron and various types of ground minerals.

The bottom line is use what works best for you at your sites and your ground, what works for one may not for another, and it's not a knock against a machine, or an infatuation with a foreign maker, it's simply what brings home the goods, and the only way to know is to try different machines. There's a lot of value in having a test garden, or spots that you know like the back of your hand to test out new machines.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2018 11:42PM by Cal_cobra.
November 27, 2018 10:08PM
Confirmation bias is very powerful.
January 16, 2020 02:02AM
I know that I’m “waking the dead”by reviving this old thread,but I spent a couple of hours at an obvious Civil War skirmish site this afternoon.The landowner gave permission along with the often heard “it’s been hunted to death”disclosure.With my F75 in all metal, I located several targets that would initially vdi at 3-5 and with a little coaxing rise into the 20-50 range.None of these targets would lock on to a consistent number and several wouldn’t rise from a right angle sweep.I left with six minnie balls,an infantry button and wick holder from an oil lamp.Most of the targets were 4-6” deep in red,red Tennessee dirt.This is just the nature of the beast in my area.I do have a Nokia Cors Relic and still have my MXT E series which I will try on this site as time allows.
January 16, 2020 02:31AM
Minerals in the dirt will do exactly that.
January 16, 2020 03:37AM
I just got a 15" SEF coil for my F-75 LTD. I really liked this coil on my T2 SE because it got a couple inches more depth than the stock coil. It's also fairly light for a 15" and has a nice balanced feel to it. I'm hoping it will work just as well on my F-75.

I originally bought a 15" NEL Attack and 14.5" NEL Thunder for the F-75 and didn't like them mostly because they are a bit heavy. I'll sell them for $100 each if anyone is interested. Only used a few times. Still like new.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2020 09:24PM by Badger in NH.
January 16, 2020 09:11PM
Update to post above -- I just tested the 15" x 12" SEF coil on the F-75 LTD DST in my test garden and am very happy with it.

In Disc Mode, Boost Process, Sense 95, it picked up the 11" silver dime no problem. The 12" dime was iffy but I would dig it. It got the 14" silver quarter but was iffy on the 15" quarter.

By comparison, the stock coil with the same settings could only detect the 10" silver dime and could not even see the 13" Silver quarter.

So, the 15" x 12" SEF delivers about 2 inches more depth than the stock coil depending on the size of the target and the type of ground it is in. My ground is fairly mineral free.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 02:28PM by Badger in NH.
January 16, 2020 09:39PM
Thanks for the info. That's pretty good I would say. 1 to 2 extra inches is a game changer on a lot of spots. HH jim tn
January 17, 2020 01:49AM
I'm not a swinger, but my main machine is an F75. I really like reading about other users settings and then trying them out on my soil.

Jeff
perks
January 18, 2020 07:49PM
one comes with a coil, and the other with a pinpointer.
January 19, 2020 07:40AM
People say the F75 is old because they updated it and still called it a F75. They added se, ltd, and +. The LTD and + are the same other than color from what I have heard, but they are not the same as the original F75. I think it was an error to keep F75 in the name because I see posts about how bad they are in EMI and chatter. They are talking about the old one. The new one is quiet and has more options in settings.
January 19, 2020 01:28PM
I agree Kevin.
January 20, 2020 01:28AM
Yep! HH jim tn
January 20, 2020 01:40AM
I agree Kevin. Fisher should have done like White’s did on the V3 Detectors. They added an I calling it a V3i.

So F75i would have been good. Just added a decal when they updated the old f75 units.
And put decal on the newly made dst f75 units.

Decals don’t cost much.

Maybe I am overthinking this issue. Don’t think so though.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2020 01:42AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 20, 2020 11:34AM
I've always wondered why they would call it LTD, assuming that stands for Limited Edition. There was never anything limited about the LTD. If there was, they would have made fewer units or discontinued the model.
January 20, 2020 01:13PM
I can maybe help answer that one.

There was actually an SE and a LTD model. The first one was originally marketed to be a small run of circuit boards, and only a small batch of them made. They were the first to have the Boost Process and Cache modes. These sold like hot cakes at premium prices because hotter = better in everyones eyes and putting a limited number of them made people feel an urgency in getting one before they were gone. They were camouflage colored and the original LTD models. After those models initially sold out, they miraculously came up with more of those circuit boards and continued production of them. These were the black paint scheme, and labeled as the SE model.

Later down the road, when DST was born, they introduced the F75 with DST that did and the F75 LTD2 which signifies that it has Boost & Cache modes and DST, along with the new FA mode. Then along came the F75 Plus and such.

If I am running the F75 platform machines, I prefer the non DST versions and run them in motion all metal. BP mode does not work well at all in mineralized ground. This used to be a favorite machine of mine but newer machines have surpassed it in my eyes with better performance...although all of them still pale in comparison to the ergonomics of the F75.
January 20, 2020 01:41PM
Thanks for clearing that up Daniel. It's good to know the history.

I started with the T2 SE and loved the performance but it was a bitch to re-do the settings every time I turned it off. So I sold that and got the latest F-75 LTD with DST. I like that it saves the settings but can really feel the loss of performance with the DST.

I wish I could turn the DST completely off when I don't need it. Not just 20% off like someone said earlier. 100% off should be a feature on the next version.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2020 02:34PM by Badger in NH.
January 27, 2020 02:53AM
Today, in less than 1.5 hours, my F75-DST with the SharpShooter search coil attached found me 20 wheat pennies, 3 Indian Head pennies, and a 1916 Canadian One Penny in an area of less than 1000 square feet. You'd think that I would have found at least ONE silver coin. By the time that I got the permission to detect the 1906 home, it was almost time to call it a day. I'm going back with the Deus, Nox, and CTX with various search coils to research that same area before moving to the larger backyard. Most all the coins were in the 7 to 8-inch range.

tabman
January 27, 2020 10:08AM
tabman Wrote:
> Today, in less than 1.5 hours, my F75-DST with the
> SharpShooter search coil attached found me 20 whea
> t pennies, 3 Indian Head pennies, and a 1916 Canad
> ian One Penny in an area of less than 1000 square
> feet. You'd think that I would have found at least
> ONE silver coin. By the time that I got the permis
> sion to detect the 1906 home, it was almost time t
> o call it a day. I'm going back with the Deus, Nox
> , and CTX with various search coils to research th
> at same area before moving to the larger backyard.
> Most all the coins were in the 7 to 8-inch range.
>
> tabman

FA process mode works great if there is a lot of iron around.
January 27, 2020 12:27PM
Badger in NH Wrote:

> FA process mode works great if there is a lot of i
> ron around.

Most places that I detect have EMI issues, and this site is no exception. The FA Process Mode doesn't do well when EMI is present. The problem that I was having was with depth and nails. I was barely getting a response on 7-inch coins. Luckily for me, this site is almost trash free except for the nails. I'm digging all non-ferrous targets. Heck, I might find some old gold jewelry. After I pound the hell out of the site, then I'll pull out my Tesoro detectors to see what I missed. Remember this: LINK

tabman