Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Quest Detectors

Posted by PhDtector 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Quest Detectors
November 25, 2018 02:24AM
At least two retailers are offering heavy discounts on certain of these detectors. Anyone using one? If so what do you think of it?
Re: Quest Detectors
November 25, 2018 02:28AM
I used one for a few minutes.

Actually on the hunt for the day, one gent was using Makro Kruzer and I the Nox with 6” coil. Gent fired up the quest and low and behold made the find of the day between us.
I thought the unit did well for its price.
We compared it to some Nox located targets too.
Site was mostly modern trash with some iron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2018 02:30AM by tnsharpshooter.
November 25, 2018 02:44AM
I keep a Q20 on my service truck at all times. Can't beat it for the price.
November 25, 2018 03:01AM
they are agressively priced because us distro dropped them and is clearing all inventory.
November 25, 2018 03:51AM
Are they maybe getting sued by FT again?

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
November 25, 2018 08:37AM
From the french forum feedback, those machine arent sturdy. I guess the distributor might have dropped them because of the return rate, repair ...
November 25, 2018 09:37AM
Same here. Sure has me wondering about the upper models.
November 25, 2018 09:56AM
I have a Q20. Nice little unit that actually works quite well.
November 25, 2018 02:56PM
I have a Q20 also and is a nice value for the price. It is fairly deep seeking with above average ID. I beach hunt and it is quiet up to shore line. I can swing it all day since it light weight and the rechargeable battery lis a nice feature. Interested in the Pro too. Good backup to Equinox 800.
November 25, 2018 03:35PM
The Q20 and Q40 for the price are excellent machines. They sell very well thru the Netherlands distributor.
From what I have seen and heard, Quest market failed in the US and Canada due to lack of company dealer support and marketing.
Scubatector and pinpointers headphones still seem to have good sales but, for how long.

Saw more current legal action going on with FT on a legal website, can't make out what the issue is about. Might be part of the reason Quest is maybe quietly exiting the US market?

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
November 25, 2018 09:55PM
They seem to have an extensive range of gear -

Good looking detectors -

[www.youtube.com]

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
November 25, 2018 10:16PM
Nowhere in the world is there anything to compare with the speed with which the South China industrial complex can churn out good looking stuff which may or may not be an exact copy of some product designed and developed by others.

I am old enough to remember when that was pretty much the situation with Japan as well.

It is not criticism - it is praise - at least for their skill at producing at volume quickly.

About 25 years ago I sat next to a nice young woman on a flight to London. She had a nice sweater on - with cute buttons like miniature airliners. I commented on it - gee, those are nice. She told me...I saw them a while back, so I called our producer in China, sent a sample and now we sell them. We? I asked. She proceeded to tell me that she had a company which specialized in this. A company - yes - but as she explained, it was really just her, her producers in China and a secretary inTaiwan who did all the paperwork.

That was 25 years ago, imagine how it works now.

They have known how to do that for a long time. Now they don’t need the nice lady on the plane to tell them what to make - they have the internet.

But they are learning, just like the Japanese did - and they will innovate and compete with their own ideas and technology.

Just in case someone suspects that I’m on some sort of racist road here, I offer this.

My dad ended up - after the Southwest Pacific Theatere in 1942-1943, at the end of the war at the naval base in Quonset Point RI. He married a local girl, so I was born in RI. In Pawtucket you will find the Slater Mill. Samuel Slater emigrated - illegally - from England to Rhode Island. Illegally, because as a textile mill engineer, he was forbidden an “exit visa” - to control technology “leakage”.. Mr Brown (benefactor of Brown University) funded him to build the US’s first textile mill - with “stolen” English technology.

We live in a more civilized and developed era. Intellectual property rights are valuable and need to be honored and protected. I used to work in that field and feel strongly about it.

Pirates are cute on the movie screen - not so cute in real life. Licensing at reasonable rates of key technology protects everyone’s interests.

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2018 10:19PM by lytle78.
November 25, 2018 11:16PM
sometime copying is a way to learn , there is no intellectual property in china . Most of the md are made in china, q20 or q40 are not big deal ...check tanxium 850 for exemple very close to f19 for 120$... same circuit board inside. At the end the customer will be winning . Because if chinese are selling it 120$ that mean they are still making profit on it and the huge profit over something that cost nothing is over.
Btw you actually see french brand like xp getting their price down and minelab too , i think they start to understand that they gonna have to reduce their margin if they want to survive.
There is some rumour on real price of metal detector , and it quite crazy so crazy that reselling used one is from what i hear more expensive and less profitable than selling brand new md.
November 25, 2018 11:29PM
youdig - I break your window, I steal your new TV - I sell it to somebody for $50..I guess that’s OK with you...after all you wrote...

”same circuit board inside. At the end the customer will be winning .”

You seem to be condoning wholesale theft. Sorry, I don’t.

I know the world is changing - the ability to copy someone’s copyrighted or patented technology or work has never been easier. that doesn’t mean it’s not still theft.

I look forward to your reply.

Rick Kempf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2018 11:59PM by lytle78.
November 26, 2018 02:46AM
China can sell crap knock-offs cheap because they didn't invest in the R&D of the tech or the testing or the advertising. They also have garbage standards for QC. Maybe the pirated detector you buy works, maybe it doesn't. No way to know and no warranty.

It's theft pure and simple.
November 26, 2018 03:05AM
The only thing the end-user will benefit from is...… initial cheaper price detector. . . . . and only at that specific moment. But..... in the long-run...…. it'll kill the real Chief Design Engineer(s)……. and desensitize his burning passion to invent.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..... which...…… ultimately...……. will collapse the Corporate Entity/Company. Resultant: No further future technological advancements from the real inventor(s).

((( And a host of other legitimately justifiable rationale. )))
November 26, 2018 03:13AM
Technology theft and inhouse slavery...equals China. Yet other countries (including USA) are consumers of China inexpensive products. Who is to blame??
November 26, 2018 05:35AM
Ever been to Walmart? You would be hard pressed to find anything American made there. Trump is trying to deal with the problem, China is fighting him every step of the way. Technology theft is a major problem these days. The stuff is cheaper so people buy it, the sad thing is a lot of domestic companies have to cut corners and put out sub standard products just to be able to compete, Chinese products drive down the quality of everything and a lot of companies say there product is american made but they are using Chinese parts, BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPER. What a mess. sad smiley
November 26, 2018 06:33AM
It's a mess, but it's a self created mess.

Mass consumers want the cheapest prices on products, thus their imported from any multitude of countries, including China. Corporations are all about profits, publicly traded companies are all about stock prices, at some point in the distant past they figured out it was more profitable to make their products overseas.

Welcome to Capitalism, corporate greed, Gordon Gekko, and the American pyramid system.

Once the genie is out of the bottle, you're not sticking it back in. All Trumps tariff war with China will do is push the U.S. into yet another recession. Jobs will be lost, fortunes lost, homes lost, pensions lost, business lost, perhaps that's the plan.
November 26, 2018 08:44AM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> youdig - I break your window, I steal your new TV
> - I sell it to somebody for $50..I guess that’s OK
> with you...after all you wrote...
>
> ”same circuit board inside. At the end the cust
> omer will be winning .”

>
> You seem to be condoning wholesale theft. Sorry,
> I don’t.
>
> I know the world is changing - the ability to copy
> someone’s copyrighted or patented technology or wo
> rk has never been easier. that doesn’t mean it’s
> not still theft.
>
> I look forward to your reply.

Like cal cobra said we asked for it , and we dont see the whole extend of it or sometime we dont think about it .
I understand the R & D part and this is the only sad part ,i think china will work on that , they have the experience to do it now and they great brand now xiaomi , dji and so on.
But when you use cheap labor and sometime kid to get the most profit you can , you are responsible for what coming , this is my answer lytle78 .
If you exploit anything at the end you will get what coming to you , life is like that and gladly it is , some call it karma , i think whatever wrong you do you will get your ass kicked one day or another.
You should check some video of serpentza to understand chinese culture but there is some interesting part where the bad guy is not who you think it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2018 08:44AM by youdig.
November 26, 2018 01:39PM
I agree that many US companies are simply reaping what they have sown. Offshoring the production to countries in the Far East and pocketing the benefits of the lower production costs while maintaining their sales prices is a problem.

Many US companies have done this and seen their designs used as a basis for later independent production in those same countries. Theft of intellectual property however, the production of exact copies including stolen software is an entirely different matter.

The recent successful court action which First Texas took against Deteknix was a case of a pirate copy of the T2 firmware being incorporated the Deteknix detector. The T2 has never been manufactured in China or anywhere else in the Far East. It was designed in El Paso and is assembled, tested and shipped there. The parts used come from the US, various Far Eastern countries (purchased from US suppliers), and Mexico (from a First Texas owned facility).

First Texas’ total involvement with Chinese production in their history comprises the production of a portion of their Bounty Hunter Jr. product in China (another portion are produced in El Paso) along with a machine with identical electronics, the VLF 2.1. There is simply no way that they have “themselves to blame” for the theft of their intellectual property by criminals in China.

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2018 03:39PM by lytle78.
November 26, 2018 03:37PM
didnt know most of their md were build in texas. so in this case you are totaly right.
November 26, 2018 03:52PM
Youdig, my apologies for the tone of the whole stolen TV portion of my first post - way too personal - sorry.

I get pretty steamed up about theft of intellectual property. I worked for a number of years for an aerospace company and negotiated lots of agreements which included detailed clauses on who would own what intellectual property and how each party could uses it and for what.

There have been folks on the forums who in the past alleged or implied that US detector manufacturers were secretly building a very large part of their products in the Far East. Of course, if that was true, the same companies would be breaking US Federal Law by failing to mark the products appropriately as made in whatever country (presumably China).

Rick Kempf
November 26, 2018 04:26PM
And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

SO........does anyone else own a Quest Pro and if so what do you think of it?
November 26, 2018 04:43PM
PhDtector Wrote:
> And now back to our regularly scheduled program.
>
> SO........does anyone else own a Quest Pro and if > so what do you think of it?

What retailers have said blow out prices?
November 26, 2018 06:17PM
Serious Detecting and Treasure Hunting Outfitters.
November 26, 2018 07:27PM
PhDtector Wrote:
> Serious Detecting and Treasure Hunting Outfitters.

While supplies last (serious detecting is the distributor) dealers also have cheaper wholesale pricing and thus cheaper unadvertised pricing. I've sold a few Quest detectors but mainly just their pinpointers and headphones actually sold. There is actually no MAP right now for USA. So if you wanted a pinpointer or detector you could get 25-35% discount by contacting a dealer. However, you are getting a AS-IS sale basically. You're at the mercy of Quest for any warranty or repair coordination and this 1-2 person operation is not know for customer service.

An example. A quest pro (2 coils) could be had for $550 shipped. Xpointer $65 shipped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2018 07:29PM by detectingMO.
November 26, 2018 07:35PM
Knew that. That's why I'm asking what people think of the machines.
November 26, 2018 07:45PM
with 5%OFF001 coupon code at serious detecting you can get the Quest Pro for $531 shipped.

Quest pro reminded me of an old style T2 as far as noise with selectable frequency and a really clunkly menu. Actually more nokta/makro like which also has very similar T2/F75 dna
November 27, 2018 01:29AM
Never had a Quest metal detector. The Deteknix (Quest) pinpointers and headphones made for the XP Deus puck have good reviews (I dont run a Deus). In these two cases doesnt appear that Quest copied from someone else. Im sure all companies dissect the competitors products and learn from them. Do you think US detector companies are looking hard at product technology from XP (France), Nokta (Turkey), and Minelab (Australia)? As consumers we dont have much choice in domestic products....what percentage of Wally Worlds products are made in the USA?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2018 01:36AM by Arkansas.