Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Carl (or anyone) : Is this simply another LRL ? :

Posted by Tom_in_CA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Carl (or anyone) : Is this simply another LRL ? :
June 10, 2019 08:21PM
For Carl or anyone : A fellow here in CA contacted me. A valuable diamond fell out of a ring in his yard or house somewhere. They've searched & searched, to no avail. It would be only the stone (no prongs would be attached to it) . So a metal detector would, of course, be of no use.

So the fellow was searching around on the net, and came across this diamond detector :

[www.amazon.com]

He asked me for my opinion on it. I am fairly certain this is nothing but another of the latest incarnations of LRL scams. Right ? But when I plugged this particular brand into a google search, nothing negative is coming up. As you would expect , for example, when others get debated, or exposed, etc..., it will invariably be listed on someone's skeptical scrutiny article somewhere. This one didn't come up with anything critical in pages of hits. Perhaps just because it's too new on the market ?
Re: Carl (or anyone) : Is this simply another LRL ? :
June 10, 2019 08:39PM
Looks like manufacturers site here maybe.
[gerdetect-germany.com]

Might be some snake oil selling going on here. Maybe.

Btw, is a diamond considered a hot rock ?? And no I don’t mean like stollen hot ice either.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 08:43PM by tnsharpshooter.
June 10, 2019 08:53PM
Yes, It's an LRL. These thing come & go on a regular basis. I don't even try to keep up with them.
Except for the eyeball, there is no such thing as a diamond detector.
June 10, 2019 08:54PM
There's a couple of simple clues to show that it is...indeed...an LRL.

Look closely at the fancy handle mount in the dis-assembled illustration.
The whole assembly sits balanced atop...and freely moves on... a rotating bearing.

The other, perhaps more obvious clue, is the phrase "Long Range Detection".
(Kind of a give-away.)

Looks really technical, though...doesn't it?

It doesn't matter how complex the tech looks...(or how many antennae they add)...if they mount it on a free floating swivel, it's an LRL.
smiling smiley
mike

edit: ...and I see Carl beat me by thirty seconds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 09:01PM by Mike in CO.
June 10, 2019 10:09PM
Thanx guys. I knew that it said "long range location" right in the title, but ... wanted to make sure. Since I saw no adverse snipes at it in a google search. As you might typically find if someone has written about it, or it appeared on some md'ing forum post, etc.... I guess there's so many coming and going, that : No one's even taking the time to take individual de-bunkings of each individual one these days. As long as they fall into the same genre, then .... they're just an LRL.

It's quite enticing to someone not aware. Because they are often packed with testimonials and high sounding $20 words, eh ? As for the testimonials, those could simply be shills. Or perhaps they truly did find stuff. If so, it's the samo-samo routine : Point it at enough likely spots, dig enough holes, using a detector to "pinpoint", and ... presto, you'll eventually find something . And if you don't, it's not because the device doesn't work. It's because you "need more practice".

thanx again fella's !
June 10, 2019 10:45PM
Good lord..... look at the prices for those things. Really does some one really buy them??? I was thinking couple hundred bucks.....then was floored.
June 10, 2019 10:55PM
Free shipping..
June 10, 2019 11:21PM
And some people can be fooled by the "15 day return guarantee ". But I'll bet there's a hefty "re-stocking charge".
June 10, 2019 11:23PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good lord..... look at the prices for those things
> . Really does some one really buy them??? I was
> thinking couple hundred bucks.....then was floored
> .

But: Not to worry. You'll pay off that $2500 as soon as you've found a few diamonds. Eh ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 11, 2019 12:00AM
I once went to Arkansas to dig for diamonds...... after the day was over I realized I still couldn’t tell what diamond even looked like. So maybe I needed one of these.
June 11, 2019 02:33AM
I'd let your friend know that some diamonds are highly florescent and he may be able to find it using a black light at night.
June 11, 2019 03:28AM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> I once went to Arkansas to dig for diamonds......
> after the day was over I realized I still couldn’t
> tell what diamond even looked like. So maybe I n
> eeded one of these.

This lady seems didn’t need one of those shady machines to find one. Lol
[www.fox16.com]
June 11, 2019 03:56AM
Tom you actually thought for a second you could really find diamonds with this contraption...
June 11, 2019 05:13AM
it is always easy to dispel what the mind cannot fathom -

correct me if i am wrong but didn't Nokta-Makro have LRL's on their website
just prior to their CF77 release?

I remember them taking a bit of flac over these and their deepseekers. Some of the
old experienced detectorists were simply scathing when challenging the depths these
units were going -

even a month prior to the release of the Red Racer and the so-called experts had it touted
as a toy and not capable of what initial testers were stating -

look at where they are today - from LRL's to outstanding unit after unit after unit.....

all I got to say is keep an open mind and look thoroughly into everything before forming
your opinion winking smiley

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
June 11, 2019 05:40AM
rustic charm Wrote:
> all I got to say is keep an open mind and look tho
> roughly into everything before forming
> your opinion winking smiley

Perhaps. But you have to be careful...
I learned long ago, that there are times when it's a very thin line that separates an open mind from an empty head.
smiling smiley
mike

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 06:11AM by Mike in CO.
June 11, 2019 07:46AM
Mike --

I LOVE that quote... "it is a very fine line, that separates an open mind from an empty head!" SO true! If you don't mind, I'm going to borrow that and use it at appropriate times, LOL!
June 11, 2019 09:58AM
That IS a great quote and Tom your brain went over that line this time, sorry dude, gotta bust your chops on this one. drinking smiley
June 11, 2019 11:49AM
ozzie Wrote:
> That IS a great quote and Tom your brain went over
> that line this time, sorry dude, gotta bust your c
> hops on this one. drinking smiley

You and cobra are much too cruel >grinning smiley<

I had hoped to link the fellow to something that *specifically* said his device was nothing . But alas, I could find nothing 'dissing it on-line. Contrast to a lot of the other well-known LRL brands and models: You can invariably find someone who's taken one apart to study, or identified it in the genre of LRL, etc... But oddly : Nothing at all on this one, in a key-word search. Other than the usual sales pitches of the various catalogs where it's for sale. Or youtube vid's with positive reviews and testimonials.

I suspected that it's only because there is SO MUCH of the crap floating around, that .... no skeptical persons are wasting their time, running around trying each one, listing each one , etc.... And I suppose that for the makers of this nonsense : That's a good thing for them. If they find that their name is tarnished as selling snake oil, then : They just open up a new company, or make a different model, and .... Presto : You can hide behind the lack-of-anything negative all over again.
June 11, 2019 06:32PM
I usually recommend the brightest flash light and look for the twinkle. My granddaughter found hers in the trap of the kitchen sink. Oh, and I will say a prayer for a donation of any size...

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
June 11, 2019 07:34PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> : They just open up a new company, or make a diff
> erent model, and .... Presto : You can hide behin
> d the lack-of-anything negative all over again.

That's true...and alone with that defensive approach, they (LRL mfgs) have also adopted a more direct/offensive approach.
They'll load the online reviews with raving/positive 'shill' reviews. (Pretty easy to spot. Odd grammar, over the top compliments, salesman style quotes from the brochures.)
Then when someone points out an honest YouTube video that exposes them for what they are, they aggressively pursue a YT 'takedown' under the claims of 'Copyright Infringement'.

Check out the 2 comments for their $7,600.00 model:
[www.amazon.com]

After you've spotted the obvious 'shill' comment, check out the responses to both comments...and try to go to any of the 'expose' YT links listed.
They've all been taken down...due to stated 'copyright infringement'.
Hey, when you're trying to sell $100 (or so) worth of parts for $7,600.00, it's time to declare war on YT naysayers!

In the early days after the Spanish Dip Needles and Gold Bugs, it was just a metal antenna assembly balanced on a handle. Then LRL mfgs started taking old electronics and balancing that in a box.
A few even tried putting (in some cases actually using hot-glue!) a calculator with an antenna on top of the pivot...claiming some kind of resonance interaction with the 'ether' when the calculator was turned on.

Now we've got color displays, multiple antennae, and enough gobble-de-gook word salad claims to confuse anyone...
And price tags to match.

And the one thing they all STILL have in common is that they all still pivot/point BY TINY USER INPUTS on/around the handle.
(A REAL metal detector will still work is it's lying on a table, or the ground. A LRL won't/can't.)

Wikipedia list the definition of a LRL thus:
"A long-range locator is a class of fraudulent devices purported to be a type of metal detector, supposedly able to detect a variety of substances, including gold, drugs and explosives; most are said to operate on a principle of resonance with the material being detected."

My Mom had a simpler classification for thing like this...she simply called them, "A load of Hooey!"
She was right, of course. Moms are just like that...
smiling smiley
mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 10:07PM by Mike in CO.