Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who likes nickels

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Who likes nickels
December 03, 2018 05:37PM
forget it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 11:40PM by dewcon4414.
Re: Who likes nickels
December 03, 2018 06:53PM
In the wet if it beeps I dig it

I have been known to pass on penny signals when I'm tired. Never pass on nickels.
December 03, 2018 06:59PM
Anyone focusing on VDI numbers at a beach isnt going to be digging much gold anyway, so the idea is useless.

Secondly, I've never seen a nickel in the dirt that didnt fluctuate a little so that would still be catching your 14s and likely some of your 15s as I'm sure they are shifting numbers a bit too.

The thing that excites me about nickels and the Equinox is that I am digging so many of them and far deeper than ever before. That translates into an increased ability to find gold from previous detectors. I have more of both this year than in many previous years combined.
December 03, 2018 07:26PM
A must dig ought to cover it.....especially water hunters....one nice gold ring is worth perhaps a week of coins at least...
December 03, 2018 09:22PM
Changed my mine

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 11:39PM by dewcon4414.
December 03, 2018 09:31PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
..... So most of you would use a PI at the beach then?

Hell no! Been there and done that. Wasted too much time digging nails, screws, washers, bobby pins and other ferrous junk. I started out with a PI because I wanted the max depth to get the most targets. I realized one day when I went to hunt a new beach. I couldnt figure out why I was digging so many coins (and iron) but not a single bit silver, gold, or even aluminum. Then I figured out the coins (Cayman coins) were iron cored, so whoever else had been hunting there was taking everything else and I was basically wasting time digging his left behind junk. That was my last beach hunt with a PI. Been running MF ever since. "Dig it all" doesn't necessarily mean iron too.
December 03, 2018 09:54PM
Here’s one reason to use a PI at the beach - if you have black sand like most of the West Coast. My NOx managed a scant 7-8” on a nickel in San Diego a few weeks ago - and the ID was 3.

A PI I had along hit the same nickel in the same spot buried down 17 -18 inches.

Of course PI’s see all the iron too - (except this one didn’t).

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Beaches Beaches and More Beaches
December 04, 2018 02:11AM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Here’s one reason to use a PI at the beach - if yo
> u have black sand like most of the West Coast. My
> NOx managed a scant 7-8” on a nickel in San Diego
> a few weeks ago - and the ID was 3.
>
> A PI I had along hit the same nickel in the same s
> pot buried down 17 -18 inches.
>
> Of course PI’s see all the iron too - (except this
> one didn’t).

lytle78,

Care to elaborate there ? grinning smiley Is somebody testing some new equipment ? If so, how about fielding a question that you might be able to answer . . . . How does the balance and weight compare to the F75?

Had to ask.

Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
December 05, 2018 08:07AM
lytle78 Wrote:

> A PI I had along hit the same nickel in the same s
> pot buried down 17 -18 inches.
>
> Of course PI’s see all the iron too - (except this
> one didn’t).

Hey Rick!!winking smiley

Deep nickle for sure!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 05, 2018 01:25PM
Had my hands on a “different” PI over that one weekend. Can’t say more. Several PI detectors would be capable of more or less doubling the Nox’s depth on that nickel - black sand kills depth on VLF IB detectors, even multifreakers, whereas most PI’s aren’t as bothered by it.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
December 06, 2018 06:33PM
I don't really hunt nickels specifically, they just show up in the gold range I dig so I get a few. I think I have somewhere between 4 and 6 dollars worth of nickels, maybe more, in the clad bucket for the year. Won't do an official count until I tumble and roll.
December 11, 2018 02:32AM
OK, I may be a rare hunter, not really sure, but personally, I love digging nickels.
Since I was a little kid I had a certain fascination with our Canadian 12 sided 5 cent coins.
I am always looking for another twelve sider or Tombac from WW 2 so I dig a lot of potential nickel signals, even in school yards and parks so naturally a lot of ring and pry tabs too.moody smiley
Oh and the series immediately after Canada stopped making silver 5 cent coins, 1922 to 1936 large double Maple leaves are another favorite.
Not that I am averse to our "fishscale" silver 5 cent coins from prior to 1920 either.
Cheers,
Drew.
December 11, 2018 02:44AM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> I don't really hunt nickels specifically, they jus
> t show up in the gold range I dig so I get a few.
> I think I have somewhere between 4 and 6 dollars w
> orth of nickels, maybe more, in the clad bucket fo
> r the year. Won't do an official count until I t
> umble and roll.

That number of nickels is amazing for a modern credit card dominant land...but I'm more amazed that you still roll your coins. Banks around here have not taken rolled coins in over 20 years that I know of. The ones here all use the automatic counting machines (like coin star) and only cash in loose coins. I tumbled all mine one time and spent the better part of a couple hours sorting and rolling coins. Only to get to the bank and they tell me I have to unroll them and put them thru the machine. I could have just dumped my whole bucket in there and not had to sort or roll. Haha
December 11, 2018 02:41PM
Daniel,
I tried to cash in some loose change at my Credit Union and they wanted it rolled and identified as mine. So I just tumble and roll. One of the perks of rolling is that I get to look at every individual coin again. Sometimes that extra look pays off in a missed wheatie or silver dime.

I don't know what I would do without clad. I use clad like a relic hunter uses iron. I rely on it so much that if it was to dry up I'd be blind hunting.

HH
Mike