Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tesoro , Anfibio,Equinox, mapping relic sites..

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Tesoro , Anfibio,Equinox, mapping relic sites..
December 14, 2018 01:41PM
So Calabash, if your hunting thick scrub oak for Elk on horseback and the furthest shot your going to get is approximately 40 to 50 yards and you have to be quick so a scope is worthless. A bolt action rifle gives you at best one shot. A lever action 3030 is the best rifle for that exact scenario and I would choose it any day over any other gun. Might be old tech but way outperforms others in certain scenarios.
December 14, 2018 04:16PM
Teaching a kid to take 350 yard shots on a deer---ok.

To hit a deer size target at a TRUE 350 yards would require a Good rest,a rifle sighted in for that distance,or SH luck--I doubt many kids know about Kentucky windage.

A True 350 yard shot in the eastern US is hard to come by.
December 14, 2018 06:28PM
And there you go. I'd prefer the 35 Rem. in a lever action over the 30/30 because that's what I have so it must be the best.
I started detecting in 1975 with a White's TR Gold Master with no disc. Progressed through most of the major brands since then. Each "upgrade" was a detector that out performed the ones prior to it. Non-metered to metered, single tone to multi tone, single frequency to multi frequency, etc. I take all the available info a detector can give me to make an informed decision as to dig/don't dig. I really liked some of my Beep & Dig detectors but to be honest, if I could only have one detector, you can bet it would be metered, multi frequency (simultaneous or not), multi tone, Fe Vol., wireless headphones, with rechargeable batteries, and many other features. smiling smiley
Do I ever miss something, leave it in the ground for someone else to come along and retrieve at a later date with their inferior machine? Of course, and so does everyone else, no matter what they're swinging.
December 14, 2018 06:57PM
I Didn’t need a powder burning rifle to get this baby. Taken early Oct this year. Ravin R20 crossbow shot At 55 yards out of a $30 small blind on the ground. Blind sat about 11 yards behind my back yard. Watched him out kithcen window on some days. That’s my 85.5 year old mother in law in pic.
Thought I would share since guns came up here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2018 07:11PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 14, 2018 07:16PM
Since we are bragging, lol

48 yards with Mission MXB-360 out of treestand on public land...

December 14, 2018 07:27PM
Not bragging Cadman. Actually making a point. You’ve actually helped. Nice one btw.
Seems these BEEP and DIG crossbows can bring home the bacon. Lol
December 14, 2018 07:45PM
Lol, just teasing about the bragging.

I choose to use "old technology" because it is more challenging and fun... Kinda like when I pull out a Tesoro Eldorado µMAX to go detecting with....lol
December 14, 2018 07:48PM
cadman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lol, just teasing about the bragging.
>
> I choose to use "old technology" because it is mor
> e challenging and fun... Kinda like when I pull ou
> t a Tesoro Eldorado µMAX to go detecting with....l
> ol

I learned in my early 30s, beware of person who has one rifle, beware of person who has only one pool cue. And it might be wise to beware of person who owns just one metal detector.
December 14, 2018 08:04PM
Yep or has at least 5 plus years with any particular Model. Can't really learn a Detector in a Month or two in My book anyways.
December 14, 2018 08:18PM
I have never elk hunted but a 30/30 seems a little lite for that imo… why not just use one of those fancy higher caliber automatic rifles made today? Welgund Wrote:
> So Calabash, if your hunting thick scrub oak for E
> lk on horseback and the furthest shot your going t
> o get is approximately 40 to 50 yards and you have
> to be quick so a scope is worthless. A bolt actio
> n rifle gives you at best one shot. A lever actio
> n 3030 is the best rifle for that exact scenario a
> nd I would choose it any day over any other gun.
> Might be old tech but way outperforms others in ce
> rtain scenarios.
December 14, 2018 08:20PM
ALL that is true Tom BUT some leave more than others... Tom Slick Wrote:
> And there you go. I'd prefer the 35 Rem. in a leve
> r action over the 30/30 because that's what I have
> so it must be the best.
> I started detecting in 1975 with a White's TR Gold
> Master with no disc. Progressed through most of th
> e major brands since then. Each "upgrade" was a de
> tector that out performed the ones prior to it. No
> n-metered to metered, single tone to multi tone, s
> ingle frequency to multi frequency, etc. I take al
> l the available info a detector can give me to mak
> e an informed decision as to dig/don't dig. I real
> ly liked some of my Beep & Dig detectors but to be
> honest, if I could only have one detector, you can
> bet it would be metered, multi frequency (simultan
> eous or not), multi tone, Fe Vol., wireless headph
> ones, with rechargeable batteries, and many other
> features. smiling smiley
> Do I ever miss something, leave it in the ground f
> or someone else to come along and retrieve at a la
> ter date with their inferior machine? Of course, a
> nd so does everyone else, no matter what they're s
> winging.
December 14, 2018 08:51PM
I think a well rounded person must have the knowledge of what tools are best for the job. That's why as we get older, we end up having quite a collection of tools in the garage or work shop....so many that we required a garage or work shop to store them all in haha. Nobody has just one tool for everything. Heck, just to do a decent job cutting your lawn will require more than just a mower, no matter how big of a swath the mower can cut at once. You'll still need an edger/trimmer to get in tight spaces and some even use blowers to get the grass clippings off the driveway, etc.

Detectors, rifles, bows...are all simply tools. Each one has its purpose. The afore mentioned 30/30 is good for short range open sights in thick brush for deer and hogs. So is a 44 Mag. But you wouldn't squirrel or rabbit hunt with either one. You wouldn't be wise to duck, dove, or quail hunt with one either. Each thing has an application. I like rim fire rifles and big bore revolvers. Those are just fun to shoot. I also enjoy traditional archery with a recurve but have won most of my money and trophies with a compound bow.

Detectors are the same way. This hobby is huge in the scope of things when it comes down to what people search for. I love relics, old coins, and jewelry hunting. Some people detect just for gold nuggets. Some only beach hunt for jewelry. I know some that are exclusive Civil War relic hunters and have no other hobbies at all. And as hard as it is for me to wrap my heard around why...some actually enjoy digging modern coins and that is all they actively hunt for. I know some can't understand what the allure is about relics too. One machine is not going to satisfy every one of these niches and a machine that may not be best for relics, may be all a modern clad coin hunter needs. I do not deer hunt any more but when I did, a .270 or .308 with a 2-7 scope or 3-9x40 was more than sufficient for anything I ever did But I still know some that use a 300 Win Mag or .338 Lapua here. With my target bow I could take time, dial in the yardage on my sight and hit penny size spots consistently out to 50 yards. Had over $2,500 in my target bow. But that got to be not so fun for me anymore. I personally have more fun with a cheap $100 recurve bow...$100 for the bow, arrows, and finger tab and can't hit the broadside of a barn at 50 yards with it. Haha.
December 14, 2018 09:50PM
A 1964 Marlin lever action in 30-30 here. thumbs down
December 14, 2018 09:55PM
Never shot a compound bow. At 15 yrs old and 99 lbs used a 55# recurve and only one kid around could beat me target shooting. Good thing he was my best friend.
December 14, 2018 10:45PM
While I can and do appreciate Cals comparison, test, and videos, what I don't appreciate his habit of trashing detectors not to his liking.
Just not the right thing to do.
To add a note, i've found many of those fired 30-30 bullets well over a foot deep with the sorry assed X5.

Geo
December 14, 2018 10:58PM
A 3030 can have a bullet up to 170gr. More than enough to take out an elk in heavy thick timber or brush. If I'm sitting and watching a meadow or opposite side of a mountain them I use a scoped 308. Hiking through dark timber or sub brush then 3030 is the best choice. It's light, quick to fire and able to get off shots faster etc.
December 14, 2018 11:59PM
When you really want to dial out of the area code, this here Lapua WILL do!!
[m.youtube.com]
December 15, 2018 02:06PM
Demographics & Statistics = Seems like most folks of whom are detectorists (in the U.S.)...….. also own firearms. (((Both are outdoor activities))).
December 15, 2018 02:29PM
Yes.. I hunt, fish, metal detect, target shoot often. Also conceal carry. Also my buddies that metal detect all do the same. I guess I never put it all together like that lol

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Demographics & Statistics = Seems like most folks
> of whom are detectorists (in the U.S.)...….. also
> own firearms. (((Both are outdoor activities))).
December 15, 2018 03:56PM
You got to get your coil over it but even still the machine has to see it and in a way you understand. I've been in the habit of comparing signals before target dug if it seems there is a one sided day. Having hunted with a few beginners from different clubs sometimes it helps to share what you see/hear compared to what they see. Started with a dig and beep and like most want the best that's out and I can afford. Beep and dig still has a very limited use in my selection of machines but it still will kick butt in that environment. Compadre and Golden UMax come to mind. Still want all info I can get.
December 16, 2018 07:12AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> cadman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Lol, just teasing about the bragging.
> >
> > I choose to use "old technology" because it is m
> or
> > e challenging and fun... Kinda like when I pull
> ou
> > t a Tesoro Eldorado µMAX to go detecting with...
> .l
> > ol
>
> I learned in my early 30s, beware of person who ha
> s one rifle, beware of person who has only one poo
> l cue. And it might be wise to beware of person w
> ho owns just one metal detector.

damn straight!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 23, 2018 10:58PM
Why just use a semi-auto to hunt?
Get you an Apache attack copter with FLIR and chain gun, no deer gonna get away.
OK tongue in cheekspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Browning .308 Tactical Varmint, Nightforce 5x15 lighted reticle scope, mostly punch paper these days..
regards,
Drew.