Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nox still top dog for me.

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nox still top dog for me.
August 07, 2019 12:39PM
I was out detecting with a buddy yesterday on some heavily detected pasture, he was on the Nox while i had the Deus 11 inch LF coil.
He found this little cut quarter no more than 4 inch down, a real hard target on long grass and the mineral scale hitting 7+ on the Deus.
Anyway, we dropped it back in the hole, the Nox with a standard sweep gave a cracking signal and gave a steady 5-6, the Deus with same sweep speed couldn't hit it, i had to go granny slow with coil to the soil to get a 50/50 response.
On easy soil the Deus is a joy to use, but in these ground settings it's very average in comparison to the Nox!

Re: Nox still top dog for me.
August 07, 2019 01:42PM
These comparisons do raise interesting questions. ( interesting to me, as I've just recently purchased an Eqx 600 ).
A tiny coin like a cut farthing [ 9mm or 1/3rd inch on its straight edge ] should ideally be best found with a smaller search-coil, say 6 or 7 inch, when talking about single-freq machines. And the "corner-frequency / -3dB freq" of that coin is about 25 kHz, so a detector operating in that ball-park should get best results.

So running the Deus with an 11" coil sounds sub-optimal, it will pick up more ground signal ( because it's larger ) but a lower target signal. However the 18kHz operating freq would be a decent choice. I'm not surprised the Deus struggled to find the coin at 4" / 10cm.

But multi-freq machines like the Eqx twist the rules a bit. As the use of multi-freq means they are much better at reducing the ground signal, they don't seem to suffer so much by having a larger coil. So they can still see small stuff, despite the quite large stock 11" coil size. You didn't say how the Eqx was set up, I assume Park2 or Field2 ? Both of these place the emphasis on the two higher freq components of the multi waveform, namely 18.2 kHz and 39 kHz . This seems a good match for the farthing.
[ Park1/Field1 will emphasise the lower freq of 7.8kHz ].

That's one of the things that struck me about the Eqx whilst learning to use it - it's surprisingly good on small stuff, for such a big coil. Which then makes me wonder if the 6" coil would be even better on that farthing ? Does your friend have the 6" coil ? That would be an interesting experiment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 06:16PM by Pimento.
August 07, 2019 02:04PM
Pim. Excellent observations and questions.

Sort of tracks with the information out there that ML intended the Nox 800 to use single freq 40kHz for the gold mode, but changed their minds and used multi. Presumably because of the ground noise issue superiority of multifreak.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
August 07, 2019 02:26PM
Pimento he was running field, not sure of his other settings though, he was picking out .22 and other small lead that i could barely get a squeek on.
Sounds crazy that I'd need to pay another £300 on a HF or x35 coil just to make the Deus nearly as good as the Nox !
Our pastures are heavily slurried each year, there must be something in the pig and cow winter feeds that helps knock up the mineral scale, perhaps it's salt or iron additives, but it really effects single freqs bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 02:32PM by ghound.
August 07, 2019 03:24PM
"Nice photo...stunning Green!"

Now..go wash your hands!!!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 03:27PM by Des D.
August 07, 2019 04:07PM
Top tip when using Photobucket: crop off the top and bottom of the image by different amounts, so that the 'centre-piece' of the image is at the bottom. Then the stupid big "host.store.share photobucket" watermark doesn't sit all over the top of your hammered coin.
( or maybe add a load of plain white border on the top edge to get the same effect. )

My guess is that Mr Ghound can't see the watermark, as he has the appropriate cookie on his computer from when he posted the image.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 06:19PM by Pimento.
August 07, 2019 07:45PM
Yes, sorry about that, it doesn't do the find justice, it's a really cracking well defined quarter considering it's several hundred years old, wish I'd dug it!
August 07, 2019 11:41PM
All the doubters....lol
August 08, 2019 02:01AM
My tests and actual head to head comparisons using Nox with 11” and 6” coils. EQX is standout with 11” coil on the small stuff. Does the 6” coil give advantage on smaller stuff. It’s not much as one would generally see when testing and comparing single freq VLF detector using similar sized coils comparing.
Even the big ole 12x15 coil can hit small stuff for its size. Granted not as good as 11” coil using EQX.

Bottom line. EQX 800 wearing 11” DD coil. Don’t think there is another VLF detector wearing 11” DD coil right now that can do all EQX can do.

I did head to head comparing targets in the wild. Using Deus with 9” and 11” LF coils. Tell folks right now. If an old site has only had Deus and LF coil action (any sized coil) you can go in with EQX and stock coil and find stuff.

EQX just harder to fool it seems. It will strike.

EQX will give good tone (clear and very recognizable). If one just listens they may indeed think the nonferous under the coil is a what we call no brainer ( or better said an unchallenged target).
If you think this all the time. Grab some more VLF detector and sweep over some of these EQX detected targets. And when you do don’t be surprised to hear nothing at all, or iron tone, or a very dodgy signal.
EQX is that good. Now EQX can infact give so so signal on some nonferrous targets. You try these with loads of other VLF detectors hold on you are in for a ride.

See this link, page 2.
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 02:24AM by tnsharpshooter.