Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Steves detector rod for the Equinox.

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Steves detector rod for the Equinox.
August 09, 2019 12:17AM
Re: Steves detector rod for the Equinox.
August 09, 2019 03:13AM
Great video. I love Steve's detector shafts.
August 09, 2019 04:29AM
THANK you, Calabash! I SO appreciate you taking the time to do a review video, and I am thrilled that you are pleased with the shaft! THANKS!!!

basstrackerman -- THANK YOU for the kind words! I'm so glad that you are pleased!!

Steve
August 09, 2019 10:10AM
Nice, like the counterweight system. Add or remove bags depending on the coil being used., slick.
August 09, 2019 12:03PM
I do have to get one of those shafts someday they look to be good quality.
August 09, 2019 12:08PM
I probably should have went with his, but at the time I didn't know he offered them in colors. I am partial to red/crimson so I bought one of the DetechEd versions.

To be honest with ya, I'm not ruling out getting one from Steve even after having this one. The DeTechEd looks good and I like the shaft lock system on it. The problem with theirs is when you get it in water, it lets water inside the shaft...the whole shaft actually fills up. I have to take the detector apart to get all the water out.
August 09, 2019 12:39PM
I love Steves shafts, they are an excellent product.----The only reason I don't have them now is because I no longer have an Equinox.----Steve is such a nice guy & definitely a perfectionist.----He was more than willing to listen to some of us in the development of these shafts---and when he ended up with the end product--it was an EXCELLENT one.------Del
August 09, 2019 03:43PM
Everyone,

Thank you so much for the very kind words! I really appreciate it! We have some really good people in this hobby...

GreenMeanie -- I'm happy to build one for you, if/when you are ready...just let me know.

Daniel -- if you decide you'd like one, I'll gladly build you a red/black (or plain red) one. I can send pics, if you'd like to see both side-by-side. Yes, the Detect-ED shaft has a "drain hole" at the bottom of the lower rod; some folks who water hunt may prefer that, but when I was designing the shaft, I took some input from a few trusted water hunters, since I don't live near the beach and have almost no experience in that niche of our hobby. The idea of a drain hole did come up, in those conversations, with some folks thinking it was a good idea, and others saying "anything that lets water/sand out, will ALSO let it in..." So, in the end, I decided NOT to include the drain hole on the "standard" shaft (but, obviously, I'm happy to customize a shaft for anyone, and would gladly add one if someone requested it). So, point being, I think my design might work better for you. I'll also note (since you said you like the locking mechanism on the Detect-ED shaft) that Detect-ED uses a very similar style of cam lock, that is included in my design, so I don't think you lose anything there, if at some point you decide to try one of mine. I'll attach a couple of pictures of my cam lock, below, so that you can have a look...it's a really nice, super-strong, heavy-duty lock that provides rock-solid attachment between the lower rod and upper shaft.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the kind words!!

Steve