Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Loosing relic sites

Posted by Bill long 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Loosing relic sites
December 10, 2018 05:52PM
Guys I'm sitting here staring out the window at 14" of snow.looking for something to do besides clean the house. So I decided to look back at some old posts I've made on different forums and came across these pictures I posted about 4 years ago. These relics came from 3 different sites in 5 days, about 30 hours hunting time. One site was at a fairly busy intersection. I remember as a kid in the late 50's riding in the back of Dad's Buick headed to Grandmas for Sunday dinner and Mom talking about all those people over there in that field with Geiger counters. 50 years later I'm in that same field with my Geiger counter. That spot is history now. Surrounded buy a locked chain link fence and full of repossessed cars and portable dumpsters for lease. Another is now of limits since they opened deer season on Sunday's and hunters complained to the land owner about us relic hunting. We still hunt one of the spots but we've beat it to death. Maybe an Anfibio would bring it back to life. Sometimes I wish I were a coin hunter and enjoyed that as much as relic hunting. At least it's a renewable resource.
Didn't mean to ramble on so, I reckon being snowed in gave me cabin fever.

Re: Loosing relic sites
December 10, 2018 05:56PM
Nice ones. Me to on the snow. But it will all be gone by the end of the week. Time for a nap.
December 10, 2018 06:18PM
Nice digs!!

Like the friction Primers..

Old machines did dig P-Caps who would of thought!!

I remember years ago when Tesoro came out with 120 disc Id go back to the sites and spend countless hours just getting the p-caps out of the ground around trench lines The ground on the hills is so hot id balance the machine to the hot rock to keep the rocks from falsing then id dig the smooth little pops and leave the nail crackle pops..got thousands of P-Caps doing that over the years..the older units then didnt give the intelligence on the P-Caps in that hot soil to be able to decipher hot rocks from nails form legitimate non ferrous..I also dug alot of cuff buttons and J hooks pack parts and such that was still left around the trenches..Still dig a good bit of minnie balls too! it was amazing to see lower disc ability in bad soil when set up right what it could see for first say 6 inches...Where older machines with less lower disc or range or even machines that had lower disc range didnt have ability to fine tune as much from a nail to a smaller or weirder shaped non ferrous and still offer some intelligence like older whites they went low in disc but had to whipped and dint dissect as well in all the heavy nails in bad dirt too boot.

Nice!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 10, 2018 06:25PM
I hear ya! No snow to speak of here...we had mostly rain and a few snow showers that did not stick. I am sick of the rain! That's all it does any more. Took off to the Gulf for bull red fishing trip and what does it do? A cold front moves in, drops the temperature some 15 degrees below normal and you guessed it....rain. I can't get away from it.

One of my better relic sites was cleared for subdivision lots back in 2008. The owner had a great location, but not good timing. That's when the housing and job market went SPLAT. We ventured into this site like so many others...saw the dozers and equipment, and decided to check it out just in case. We walked into a virgin yankee camp. We thought we only had a short window of opportunity so we hit it as hard as we could...we had no idea the housing market was going to tank. That was fortunate for us, because nobody bought lots on this property and we had free reign of it for several years...up til about 2016 is when the first place sold and they started putting houses in there. I'm so glad we had that opportunity to hunt it like we did. It is amazing what all came out of there, and to be honest, what was still coming out of there when we would hit it with newer machines. I still always felt like there was another plate in there some where. I know of 3 that came out of it for sure. I drove up in there a few months ago just to check it out and there's about 8 houses in there now...one sits directly on top of where I found my first ever plate, and three others sit where I found the bulk of my relics at. I wish I could have hunted it with a GPX and one of the larger coils. I was still digging deep bullets and brass pieces with just the 11 inch coil down to 15+ inches on some of them. But it is gone now to progress. Like so many others.
December 10, 2018 06:39PM
I forget to mention these finds were all with the T2.
December 10, 2018 09:30PM
Nice!
December 10, 2018 10:11PM
calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice!

Thanks Cal. You doing ok I hope
December 11, 2018 02:26AM
Nice ones Bill.

Wonder how many CW relics are under I-24 between Nashville and Georgia state line. And I-75 between Tn/Ga line down to the Fla state line.
Lord only knows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 02:29AM by tnsharpshooter.
December 11, 2018 05:36PM
Nice stuff Bill...We lost two spots last year. One was the landowner was up in age and no longer at her home (we always knock and ask for permission first) Possibly in an assisted living facility (I hope!) Other was due to trespassing relic hunters (we ALWAYS had permission) Good news though...26 acres coming up right next to the Wilderness Battlefield after deer season. Another 185 acres in Caroline Co.

XP DEUS* NAUTILUS 2B WITH WHITES ROD CONVERSION* LESCHE PIRANAH* LESCHE DIGGER* THE BOMB SHEATH* GARRETT ZLYNK PP W/ WIRELESS HEADPHONES* OLDEST COIN 1776 2 REALE*
December 12, 2018 01:04AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hear ya! No snow to speak of here...we had most
> ly rain and a few snow showers that did not stick.
> I am sick of the rain! That's all it does any mor
> e. Took off to the Gulf for bull red fishing trip
> and what does it do? A cold front moves in, drops
> the temperature some 15 degrees below normal and y
> ou guessed it....rain. I can't get away from it.
>
> One of my better relic sites was cleared for subdi
> vision lots back in 2008. The owner had a great l
> ocation, but not good timing. That's when the hou
> sing and job market went SPLAT. We ventured into
> this site like so many others...saw the dozers and
> equipment, and decided to check it out just in cas
> e. We walked into a virgin yankee camp. We thoug
> ht we only had a short window of opportunity so we
> hit it as hard as we could...we had no idea the ho
> using market was going to tank. That was fortunat
> e for us, because nobody bought lots on this prope
> rty and we had free reign of it for several years.
> ..up til about 2016 is when the first place sold a
> nd they started putting houses in there. I'm so g
> lad we had that opportunity to hunt it like we did
> . It is amazing what all came out of there, and to
> be honest, what was still coming out of there when
> we would hit it with newer machines. I still alway
> s felt like there was another plate in there some
> where. I know of 3 that came out of it for sure.
> I drove up in there a few months ago just to check
> it out and there's about 8 houses in there now...o
> ne sits directly on top of where I found my first
> ever plate, and three others sit where I found the
> bulk of my relics at. I wish I could have hunted
> it with a GPX and one of the larger coils. I was
> still digging deep bullets and brass pieces with j
> ust the 11 inch coil down to 15+ inches on some of
> them. But it is gone now to progress. Like so ma
> ny others.

That is an awesome story Daniel