Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Forum looking different?!?

Posted by SeabeeRon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Forum looking different?!?
September 24, 2019 12:19AM
I have not been on here in awhile and it seems something has changed.

Ads are appearing in odd places all over the forum where they never had been before?!?

It looks real similar to whatever is going on over TNet.

Wally, any thoughts?
Re: Forum looking different?!?
September 24, 2019 12:21AM
Nothing changed here.
September 24, 2019 12:32AM
Are you not using any type of web browser ad blocker?
All I see are the usual Tom D's ads and Kitco which are not blocked. Top and bottom of the webpage.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
September 24, 2019 12:55AM
Using Safari on my iMac as always.

So far it is just this site and TNet where I am having issues.

My main Forum is fine!
September 24, 2019 01:37AM
I'm having the same problem...… but cannot even make posts on this forum...….. unless I'm on my mini-tablet. VERY difficult to type on tablet!
I do not have a Apple computer. I do not have Google Chrome. I have not (deliberately) installed any new software. I use IE (Internet Explorer); yet, my gut tells me that...….. somehow...…… I am opening up this old forum with Google Chrome; yet, cannot find/prove it.
September 24, 2019 01:43AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm having the same problem...… but cannot even ma
> ke posts on this forum...….. unless I'm on my mini
> -tablet. VERY difficult to type on tablet!
> I do not have a Apple computer. I do not have Goog
> le Chrome. I have not (deliberately) installed any
> new software. I use IE (Internet Explorer); yet, m
> y gut tells me that...….. somehow...…… I am openin
> g up this old forum with Google Chrome; yet, canno
> t find/prove it.

Thanks for replying Tom! I don’t feel like I am alone in this now!!
September 24, 2019 03:40AM
I noticed an odd anomaly on my work laptop. Using Chrome if I'm logged in as user#1 this site looks completely different, basically it's unusable. Yet if using the same Chrome browser I log in as user#2 is renders perfectly. I haven't had time to debug it, but if I could do some a diff between the Chrome settings for user#1 and user#2 I could likely figure out what's causing the issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2019 03:40AM by Cal_cobra.
September 24, 2019 07:49AM
I've been having problems with the display of the forum for months now. On a Mac, I've tried using Brave, Chrome and Safari. Safari won't let me log in! The other two log me in but the display is weird. There is no label for New Posts (overall or in threads) but I can reply (right now.) The formatted display is off as well, not as nice to read.

On my Ipad with Chrome things look normal and I can post (but as another said, I don't enjoy typing on it.)

EMS
September 24, 2019 07:57AM
No ads and no problems here....Firefox and Duck-Duck-Go.....the heck with Google.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2019 06:25PM by ozzie.
September 24, 2019 10:10AM
One thing to keep in mind, different web browsers can display websites differently. That's why it can take extra time for web builders to design a website. They have to make sure it displays properly in different browsers. And again will look different on a desktop vs. a cellphone Ipad.

Here's some insight [www.siteground.com]

I use Firefox browser.

Works for me
September 24, 2019 11:27AM
Yes, it's the Google-Ads that are embedded into the page that are the problem, for some browsers, anyway. Mine is making a minor mess of them. If I turn off javascript, the regular elements on the page, including Tom's ads, all display normally.
I ran the 'error diagnostics' feature built in to Firefox, and it came up with a pile of new errors that are not usually present.
It moans about:
Unknown property 'user-select'. Declaration dropped. ads:1
Unknown property 'box-sizing'. Declaration dropped. ads:1
Error in parsing value for 'display'. Declaration dropped. ads:1
Unknown property '-moz-flex-wrap'. Declaration dropped. ads:1
Unknown property 'flex-wrap'. Declaration dropped. ads:1
Unknown property 'align-content'. Declaration dropped. ads:1
Expected end of value but found '\9 '. Error in parsing value for 'margin-top'. Declaration dropped. ads:1
Unknown property 'box-sizing'. Declaration dropped. ads:1
Unknown property 'box-sizing'. Declaration dropped. ads:17
Unknown property 'box-sizing'. Declaration dropped. ads:17
Unknown property 'box-sizing'. Declaration dropped.

As you may see, a lot of it is related to size of advert boxes, their alignment, position on the screen. If the browser can't interpret the 'instructions', ie. the "declaration dropped", it just does the best it can to fit things in, so it will re-size, re-position things, rarely as intended, so ads may overlap, be too small, too big etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2019 03:01PM by Pimento.
September 24, 2019 11:29AM
Never had any issues with the site,i use FireFox

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2019 12:30PM by Junk and Disorderly.
September 24, 2019 12:13PM
Junk and Disorderly Wrote:
> Never ever seen a single advert on this site or in fact any other site winking smiley

You don't get ads on any sites? How is that possible? Personally, I don't mind seeing the ads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2019 03:07PM by Badger in NH.
September 24, 2019 12:32PM
I browse with scripting turned off, as much as possible. In some cases, I have to turn it on, a website simply won't work without it. On other websites, I have to have scripting disabled, as the page scripts will crash my browser with an infinite number of 'script has stopped running' faults. In the case of this forum, no scripting mainly means the GoogleAds don't appear, and the smileys/emoticons aren't an option when I make a post. I was unaware of the recent layout problem, only when I enabled scripting did I see the issue, and ran the diagnostics shown in my previous post.
I suspect J&D uses some selective scripting 'browser add-on', that disables non-essential scripts. Probably similarly with Sven.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2019 07:00PM by Pimento.
September 24, 2019 02:02PM
If you're using Chrome, look in the upper right corner for a little shield with a red X on it. Hover your pointer over it.

It will state "This page is trying to load script from unauthenticated sources."

Click on the shield and choose "Load unsafe scripts" and the site will appear normal again.
September 24, 2019 02:11PM
Lots of good information given here guys! Thanks!!

Wonder if Wally can build a fix? Like I said I don't have this issue on most other sites I visit, detecting or otherwise.
September 24, 2019 06:22PM
dave_e Wrote:
> If you're using Chrome, look in the upper right co
> rner for a little shield with a red X on it. Hove
> r your pointer over it.
>
> It will state "This page is trying to load script
> from unauthenticated sources."
>
> Click on the shield and choose "Load unsafe script
> s" and the site will appear normal again.

That fixed it! I am on Brave browser and that did the trick. Great browser for privacy, think Chome plug-ins can work with it too.
Thanks,
EMS
September 24, 2019 06:58PM
I'm not spotting a shield with a red 'x' on my page.
September 24, 2019 07:09PM
It looks like we're all getting mixed up between two different issues.

The 'old problem' is the mixed secure/insecure http/https one, which stops lots of style-related features working, so the page looks really basic and hard to read. The 'click on the red shield' advice (Chrome) allows you to let the browser accept the mixed security content.

The 'new problem' involves the embedded adverts ( GoogleAdsense ) not displaying correctly, and messing everything else up in the process, shifting the position of things on the page, shrinking/expanding things etc.
I don't have a solution to this --- but it's possible that Google are using some 'new code' in their ads, that is only interpreted correctly by the latest browser versions. So you could try upgrading your browser to a more recent version. Or you could sit it out, and maybe Google will rectify their code.
[It's bad practice to write webpages that aren't compatible with out-of-date browsers, but it happens all the time, the IT guys just check with the latest version of all the main browsers, and think everything is just fine]
September 24, 2019 07:19PM
Great advice Pimento!!
September 24, 2019 08:29PM
Mine looks fine. I'm using Microsoft Edge.Two small banner type ads on top, both the same plus one of the same on the bottom. When I close them out it says...Ad closed by Google
I understand metal detecting better than computers.
September 24, 2019 10:40PM
Google also has new experiments going. If an ad account opts in to try, google will position and insert appropriate advertising where ever it thinks would be the best. Google will also manipulate your webpage around the advertising.
Its supposed to bring the website owner more clicks on advertising generating revenue for the owner of the webpage.
I opted out of trying it on my website.

Works for me
September 25, 2019 03:17PM
The red dot and shield in Chrome is right up there in your location bar beside the bookmark star. It is sort of small but if you click on it, it will give you the option of loading the script and then the page will be normal while you are logged in. If I am on my phone, this is NOT an option that I can find, and it looks bad no matter what. If I am on the computer at home, it IS there but I have to do it every time I come to the forum.
September 25, 2019 10:42PM
I have to use a private or incognito mode to view this website correctly.
September 25, 2019 11:07PM
I use Dolphin on my phone and I wasn't able to post on the forum even though I could log in. Now everything is working fine.