Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Need some advice about detecting Washington State......

Posted by James/Texas 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Need some advice about detecting Washington State......
October 21, 2019 07:01PM
I am from Deep South Texas but in June of 2020 I will be traveling to Marysville, Washington and staying for 2 weeks. I will be staying with a friend that does not detect. I will ship my detector and accessories to him before I leave. I have no ideas what the laws are in Washington or in Marysville. I am 70 and will not be able to do any long hikes or over rough terrain. I would like to do some schools or parks to take up some of my time there. I would love to hear from you guys that live in that area with any suggestions on where I can and where I can not detect. Thank!
Re: Need some advice about detecting Washington State......
October 22, 2019 01:09AM
Sent you a pm.
October 22, 2019 03:47AM
I"ve detected in Washington parks, schools, trails, state parks, public roadways, swim areas, campgrounds, and fairgrounds . . . but you have to check the individual regulations (search online). Some parks allow detecting but no digging (which is ridiculous), others prohibit detecting outright, and others say no plants can be damaged (which assumes no digging as the grass is being "damaged" if the city wants you gone). Public schools are typically okay. The basic rule is to be discreet, keep a low-profile, stay out of people's way, be polite, detect when no one is around, leave no trace of being there (other than picking up trash), and don't be shocked if the police swing by to check what you're up to, though they don't care and are mostly just curious, unless they receive a complaint and then they might ask you to leave. Just print out the laws and regulations and keep them with you . . . and if you need a permit to detect then make sure you have it on you.
October 22, 2019 02:50PM
Johnnyanglo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ..... Some p
> arks allow detecting but no digging (which is ridi
> culous), .....

I would beg to differ with this. Instead of "some", I would say "all" parks across the USA disallow digging. It might not use the evil "dig" word, but .... trust me ... it's in the verbiage somewhere. Either with "Alter", "deface" , "molest", "destroy", etc..... All of which can be construed to apply to us.

So I do not construe any-such language (even if it includes the actual word "dig" ) to apply to us.

The reason is: All such language IMPLICITLY and INHERENTLY applies to the end result. For example : "Alter" : Naturally, if you leave no trace of your presence, then you haven't alterED anything, right ? I realize that the word "dig" is more problematic. However, it's only a grammar game. If you can buy the logic of alter vs altered, then you can buy the logic of dig vs dug. Because the grammar is exactly the same as alter & altered. Simply present vs past tense of grammar. And we don't spell it diggED, is the only difference.

Does that mean that every last person will agree with these semantics ? Of course not. So just go at lower traffic times and avoid such lookie-lous.

But anyhow, the presence of such language in park's rules/regulations, does not, IMHO, preclude md'ing. If it did, then all the parks across the entire USA would be shut down to md'rs.