Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How many detectors out there run on only 4 volts (approx) ??

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How many detectors out there run on only 4 volts (approx) ??
December 27, 2018 03:10PM
I know of one.
Re: How many detectors out there run on only 4 volts (approx) ??
December 27, 2018 03:59PM
Electronic circuits, specifically "Switched-Mode voltage converters" can change just about any voltage into any other voltage. Larger voltage. Smaller voltage. Negative voltage. Any combination of the above. If you want +5 Volts AND -5 Volts from a single 1.2 Volt NiMH cell, it's perfectly achievable.
And a great many modern machines use such converters, even lower end ones, like the ACE150/250 for example. It steps up the 5/6 Volt ( 4 x AA ) battery supply to about 10 Volts with a SM converter, then use a linear regulator to drop that down to a clean low-noise 8 Volts [approx figures]
F75 / T2 convert 4 x AA to a regulated 6 Volts. It would only take a small redesign for the F75/T2 to run off a single Li cell.

And as Lithium cells are becoming more commonplace, running detecting equipment off a single Li cell is becoming popular.
Obvious examples include the new Tarsacci, which uses a single Lithium cell ( probably 4.2V fully-charged ). And the ML Equinox, which also uses a single 26650 size cell, exactly the same as the Tarsacci. And the XP Deus coil runs on a single foil-pouch LiPoly, which I think will be 4.2 Volts when fully-charged. The Deus control box is also a single cell powered device ( another foil-pouch type).

And there's also a few pinpointers that have a single Li cell powering them, too - Quest/Deteknix X-pointer is one, and the scuba-tector variant. Plus the Whites TRX that can be run off a 9V PP3, or 2 x AA cells = 3 Volts.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 01:57PM by Pimento.
December 27, 2018 04:38PM
The Vallon VMH3CS mine detectors I just got run of of 3 “D” cells and are speced for 30 hours on one set. The fun part is to use AA to D sleeves and run these powerful PI detectors on 3 AA batteries.

[www.vallon.de]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
December 27, 2018 05:31PM
Rick, that looks like a mini ATX Garrett machine kinda.
December 27, 2018 06:09PM
The Vallon is about 1.5 pounds lighter (probably 2.5 if you sue the AA’s) and a lot slimmer. Overall it seems to be about the same power as my old TDI - maybe.a hair less so than the Garrett. Silent search. It seems to have a “GB off” normal setting which works fine on most soil then a “mineral” setting for bad ground. Long (67 page) thread started by Eric Foster over on Geotech. I got 2 of them from Poland via eBay. Figured that way at least one would work. They both seem to be OK. The heavy canvas backpack/field case makes you want to go out and hunt something (maybe not mines!!!).

[www.geotech1.com]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
December 27, 2018 08:21PM
And we overlooked the Fisher F11, F22, F44 which all run off 2 x AA cells, so 3 Volts nominal.

And this Quest (Deteknix) Q40 teardown shows that the internal Li power is a single 3.7V 2300mAh cell ... though it may be two cells in parallel, it looks a bit 'lumpy'. Presumably the lower model, the Q20 will be similar internally.
[md-hunter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2018 09:13PM by Pimento.
December 27, 2018 08:23PM
F44 runs on 3 volts....and has a backlight....very good machine for the price.

EDIT: Pimento just beat me to it. smileys with beer

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2018 08:25PM by TheHunterGT.