Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deus settings for mineralized ground

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deus settings for mineralized ground
December 31, 2018 03:43AM
Have a hunt set up for Tuesday at the bullet site. Have one friend coming with his Deus. He said he has the LF and HF coils for it. He has been a Deus user for about 4 or 5 years now. He might already have some good tweaks but was just wanting some extra firepower to throw at it and cover the bases. Gonna have it and some other machines to see how they all do on Civil War bullets in mineral. Should be a fun morning of goofing off and playing. Video will follow. I've used a Deus there with the 9 inch LF coil when I had one and never could get it to respond well. We'll see if the HF coil and new software versions make it handle any different.
Re: Deus settings for mineralized ground
December 31, 2018 04:41AM
My soil is pretty mineralized. Run the HF coil in 14 KHz but jump it up to 28 if there's lots of iron. Run Deus fast and change reactivity to 2.5, sensitivity to 92, Audio to 4, disc -3, GB 2 points below what the ground is reading no lower than 84 though, Silencer to -1, TX power 2, I also like to set it up in 5 tones really 4 because you have no disc. Don't knock out 97 and up because in mineralized soil your deep targets will register there. it's going to be noisy but will pick out stuff in the mineralized ground.
December 31, 2018 07:00PM
I think Ole' Cal just made a video on it?
January 01, 2019 03:34AM
Interested to hear how that hi frequency coil works in that bad ground!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2019 08:27AM by possum mo.
February 15, 2019 07:20AM
Bringing this one back to life.

I bought a brand new Deus but opted for the X35 11" coil. At some point if I keep the Deus I will add a HF coil. My buddy kept making excuses after offering to let me borrow his Deus so I just bought my own. I wanted an 11" coil to be able to directly compare to the Nox, coil size for coil size. I charged it and briefly played with it some. I've had Andy's revised Deus handbook for a week or two now and have read it. My yard is not heavily mineralized...just 2 bars on an F75...unlike where I used to live in which it was 4 bar and 5 in some spots. It easily signaled on all my test garden targets though. Will be interesting to see how it does at the bullet fields...but that's the sad part. Only 1 day in the next 8 days that it's not supposed to rain. Just what I needed...my mudhole was getting dehydrated after two days of not raining.
February 15, 2019 03:10PM
28 KH, REACTIVITY 2.5 OR 3 WORKS BETTER IN HOT GROUND, the awful dirt the guy sent me from up north was tough on all the machines I tested. The Deus did the best of all them in 28 kih in goldfield with IRA setting of 5. You will need to check a few targets before you take off using that setup because its tones are different...
February 22, 2019 03:07PM
I made it down to the bullet fields for a quick hunt yesterday. I did get rained out but not before marking a few bullets with the GPX and then seeing what the Deus could do.

Bullet fields = 9 dots/bars on the mineralization meter. I'm not sure if that tells you anything or not though.

I didn't stray too far from the factory programs. The deepest bullet located was approx 10 inches deep. The others were the usual 7 to 9 inch range. I easily got the shallower ones but probably wouldn't have found the 10 inch one while actually hunting. As long as I knew the location of it, I could get it.

GoldField mode did do the best of the modes, but some of the others were able to give a signal as well; just weak ones, and did require the disc to be lowered. I would say the Deus did slightly above average from other single freq VLF machines I've used there. I could probably eek out more better performance with it once I get more familiar with it...but I can tell you that it's still not going to be my first choice machine for hunting a bad dirt site. BUT it may very well be my goto machine now for exploring new sites, because it is capable of being able to tell me if something is there or not.

Where the Nox and I really make a bad connection is with iron. It lumps everything together in that range and I can't tell you if its a horse shoe sized object or a nail....if its an artillery shell frag or fence wire. I can just tell that it's probably iron, with no way to gauge its size.

Not so with the Deus...I'm loving that I can go back to cherry picking iron again. Some of that stuff is rather nice relics....gun lock plates, bayonets, knives, artillery pieces, stirrups, etc.

The Nox is staying with me though but more for a specialized purpose detector now. It will be my water/beach machine and for sites where target ID is needed to cherry pick. The Deus is more of a dig all machine for me right now.
February 22, 2019 03:21PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I made it down to the bullet fields for a quick hu
> nt yesterday. I did get rained out but not before
> marking a few bullets with the GPX and then seeing
> what the Deus could do.
>
> Bullet fields = 9 dots/bars on the mineralization
> meter. I'm not sure if that tells you anything or
> not though.
>
> I didn't stray too far from the factory programs.
> The deepest bullet located was approx 10 inches de
> ep. The others were the usual 7 to 9 inch range.
> I easily got the shallower ones but probably would
> n't have found the 10 inch one while actually hunt
> ing. As long as I knew the location of it, I could
> get it.
>
> GoldField mode did do the best of the modes, but s
> ome of the others were able to give a signal as we
> ll; just weak ones, and did require the disc to be
> lowered. I would say the Deus did slightly above
> average from other single freq VLF machines I've u
> sed there. I could probably eek out more better p
> erformance with it once I get more familiar with i
> t...but I can tell you that it's still not going t
> o be my first choice machine for hunting a bad dir
> t site. BUT it may very well be my goto machine no
> w for exploring new sites, because it is capable o
> f being able to tell me if something is there or n
> ot.
>
> Where the Nox and I really make a bad connection i
> s with iron. It lumps everything together in that
> range and I can't tell you if its a horse shoe siz
> ed object or a nail....if its an artillery shell f
> rag or fence wire. I can just tell that it's prob
> ably iron, with no way to gauge its size.
>
> Not so with the Deus...I'm loving that I can go ba
> ck to cherry picking iron again. Some of that stu
> ff is rather nice relics....gun lock plates, bayon
> ets, knives, artillery pieces, stirrups, etc.
>
> The Nox is staying with me though but more for a s
> pecialized purpose detector now. It will be my wat
> er/beach machine and for sites where target ID is
> needed to cherry pick. The Deus is more of a dig
> all machine for me right now.

That pretty well answered my question on the other post/thread.------Thanks