Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Took my niece digging

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Took my niece digging
March 01, 2020 01:25PM
My niece is 12 and comes over and stays with us quite often. She has taken a big interest in history and reading; particularly the WW2 era of things. She goes into my relic room and looks around quite a bit too. This weekend she stayed with us and I decided it was time to take her to dig some history. You can always read about it in a book but there's something different and special about touching something that was last touched by humans a hundred plus years ago.

Anyway, she had detected once before when we all went to Panama Beach this past year. She dug a lot of coins but had never looked for war relics. I took her to a wooded area at one of my bullet places and it didn't take her long to start finding them. She ended up with 8 and was excited as could be to find them. Just thought I would share. She found them all; I just dug some for her but after a few, she even wanted to dig too. I can't say that I wasn't a little bit proud and happy too.

Resized_20200301_135426 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

Resized_20200301_143828 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

20200229_171354 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr
Re: Took my niece digging
March 01, 2020 01:31PM
SPECTACULAR! And in MANY ways. (Some unforeseen).
March 01, 2020 02:22PM
Sounds like she had a great time. Thanks for sharing Dan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2020 02:23PM by SkiWhiz.
March 01, 2020 03:17PM
That’s great Daniel, most kids today all they want to do is play on their electronic devices. Your niece is not only getting outside and being active, she’s learning and having fun w her cool uncle!
cdv
March 01, 2020 03:41PM
Daniel, …….ditto what Aaron said...It's good to see someone helping get some of the youth...outdoors!

Cliff
March 01, 2020 03:58PM
That's great, congrats to your niece on a job well done thumbs down

Nothing like touching history, makes a connection you'll never get from a book or a museum where you cannot touch anything.

Looking forward to taking my daughter detecting when she's older (she turned 21 months old yesterday, so got a ways to go).

GL&HH,
Cal
March 01, 2020 05:38PM
Way Cool!! Looks like a good and intelligent young lady. She may get hooked.
March 01, 2020 06:04PM
That's just great Daniel.----I'll bet that is an experience she will never forget.---Plus she had one of the very best "teachers" (you) in this great hobby with her.Thanks for posting that--really nice!----------Del
March 01, 2020 08:34PM
Very nice Dan
March 02, 2020 12:47AM
Awesome! She's way ahead of the curve with a great teacher. Nice work.

Dean
March 02, 2020 10:08AM
My daughter is 14 now and loves going detecting and like your niece she loves her history, it's great to see them out digging.
March 02, 2020 04:28PM
That's awesome that she is interested in metal detecting. Thanks for sharing the great pictures!
March 02, 2020 04:48PM
Way cool.
HH
Mike
March 02, 2020 05:03PM
She's like any other kid I guess; plays on her tablet thingy but if you show any interest in doing something with her outside, she is all in. When her younger brother came onto the scene, most of the family put all their attention on him and still do for the most part. He can do no wrong; the golden child, that sort of thing; he is bratty and spoiled because of it LOL. She's my pick of the two for sure, because she's the total opposite of him. She'll jump right in and bait her own hooks and not afraid of fish. Kind of a Tomboy country girl but has also been on the A/B honor roll every year too. Says she wants to go into forensic science. I wasn't even thinking along those lines when I was 12...heck I'm in my late 30s and still don't know what I want to do when I "grow up". I don't know if she'll take to metal detecting; I gave her the lightest detector I had, which was the Equinox, and she still had a little trouble swinging it. In fact, she kinda just held it and walked with the coil directly in front of her, not sweeping it side to side at all. Every time I'd start to say something, she'd find a bullet, so I guess it worked.
March 05, 2020 12:18AM
Daniel I'll be your nephew if you'll take me digging. Lol messing with you man. But that's awesome of you to take her digging bud.