Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What is/was your favorite Tesoro?

Posted by Chris Woods 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: What is/was your favorite Tesoro?
January 03, 2019 06:38PM
I liked the Golden uMax pretty much. I liked the new toned Golden uMax better than the old tone model. Overall though I like the Golden Sabre II (GSII)better than Golden uMax models as it has more functionality. I'd probably own a Pantera but they are hard to find and usually cost more than I want to pay. Add a manual ground balance to a GSII and you have a Pantera so I'm perfectly content with my beat up looking $90 GSII, which I fixed over the holiday break. Looks like crap but works better than my last one. The analog audio is a nice change when you get tired of digital.

I've turned into a big fan of the Compadre. I first bought this for my wife back in what? 2006? I started using it quite often last year and its a nice little unit. Simple but effective.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Cortes. I love the look, the knobs, the graph, the target id spread and the Sum averaging. I hate the single tone hunt mode. But the Compadre has helped me overcome that so I plan on picking up another one this winter.

Like the Lobo ST but have no plans to get another one this year.

To be honest though, its only the Cleansweep coil that keeps me interested in Tesoro. I doubt I'd own one if I didn't need this coil.

HH
Mike
January 04, 2019 05:32AM
it's understood,as many probably feel that way about tesoro.
ya gootta be patient with the detector,as one tone is all ya gonna get!."audio nuances" abound with the tesoro,and once "mastered"becomes an outrageously good "sniper"i have the "mojave" which is basically "beefed" compadre with a "ground toggle" outstanding little detector that is "deadly" with the 7" coil on it.may get a clean sweep" at some point,but at the moment,havin' a "blast" bangin' old curbstrips,and totters for jewelry!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
My favorite Tesoro?
January 05, 2019 12:40AM
Mojave is a pleasure to use - thumbs down Turn on and go ease with some excellent performance.

I also have an original Silver Saber, Golden Sabre, Bandido and Bandido 2 µMax. Sold my Golden µMax last year. Back in the day I also used the old Eldorado, a Toltec 100 and a Silver Sabre µMax. Wish I still had that Silver Sabre µMax.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
January 05, 2019 01:51AM
therover61 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> About 10-12 years ago I was on the beach in the dr
> y sand hunting a boardwalk demolition project. The
> y were using a backhoe to move the sand from under
> the boardwalk to a spot on the beach. They were sp
> reading it out so a bunch of hunters showed up and
> started detecting. There was a guy using a Pantera
> . He cleaned up. He was finding more silver coins
> in the trash and iron than all of the other hunter
> s combined.
>
> I liked the Bandito micromax when it first came ou
> t. Wish I kept that detector.

That wasn't at Santa Cruz boardwalk was it? Got in on that towards the end, but heard that a few folks made some mad finds when it first started.
January 06, 2019 12:59AM
My favorite Tesoro is the 1 I bought for 30.00 and sold for 130.00 the Compadre
January 07, 2019 01:46AM
My all time Tesoro favorite is the Tejon with the Vaquero coming in second.
January 09, 2019 12:44AM
The Diablo UMax with the 7 inch elliptical coil in which only 50 were made.
January 09, 2019 01:03AM
Only 50? Heck, I had two of them - just lucky I guess.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
January 09, 2019 07:11PM
Bandido 2 U Max i call it my " ferret " .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 07:14PM by Bors.
January 09, 2019 08:27PM
Remember the Tesoro Private label Silver Turtle?

Waterproof silver Sabre for the Turtle Corporation.

plenty of pics on the net if you go looking.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 09, 2019 10:29PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Remember the Tesoro Private label Silver Turtle?
>
> Waterproof silver Sabre for the Turtle Corporatio
> n.
>
> plenty of pics on the net if you go looking.
>
> Keith

I actually have one coming in about a week.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
January 09, 2019 11:05PM
No Way!
Have to share some insights Sven.
Cheers,
Drew.
January 10, 2019 04:55AM
Would be interesting to hear someone who has a Silver Turtle. The reason is because I also have one. The Silver Turtle is rare......the only one I seen in real life is the one I bought. Wonder how many of these were made....I have the Silver Turtle Deluxe. Tesoro and Turtle metal detector companies together made the Silver Turtle. Ikelite may have also been a resource (not sure). Ikelite is a USA company that has made waterproof scuba camera housings since the 1960s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2019 05:06AM by Arkansas.
January 10, 2019 01:14PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:

> That wasn't at Santa Cruz boardwalk was it? Got i
> n on that towards the end, but heard that a few fo
> lks made some mad finds when it first started.

Brian,

This was in NJ on a beach that had an arcade and lockers on it back in 1940's and 50's. Most of the silver coins were Mercury dimes. Guess that was the fare back then for a locker or arcade game.

LOTS of .22 cal shell casings due to the arcades having shooting games. Still find them all over the NJ beaches I hunt.
January 11, 2019 11:57PM
I got a SS2 moded ,a Tejon ,2 lobos .I had lots,found with all of them lots .I won't mind a Bandido 2 Umax i always found it cutecool smiley

I did a test 1 day vs a deus in a field i was running the bandido hot,the field had been hammered hard ,but never by the Deus or the Bandido umax i came out 1 target short

RR
January 12, 2019 12:53AM
That Bandido uMax is not a east unit to find. Recently picked up a Bandido 1 in excellent condition for my daughter to use.
I'd like to find a Pantera, but those are even to harder find.
I think the older Tesoros are starting to become quite collectable especially with the company going out.

Aaron
January 25, 2019 05:31PM
Was going thru some old papers I have from the '80's and came across a page noting the 'stock' (inventory both New & Used) I was carrying and saw where I listed a "Toltec 100"

Wowza! Had completely forgotten that I had tested one! I must have Sold it really quickly as I was retailing "Tesoro" from my home at the time, trading as "Hidden Valley Metal Detector's"
And I had also begun to form a Club in the North Hills area of Pittsburgh so, must have had a Customer for it from the club?

"Silver Sabre" was my No. 1 favorite (to answer the question)

It performed really brilliantly when I went overseas to the UK and Ireland and was a fantastic 'foreshore' searcher as I went down onto the 'Thames foreshore' a few times.
(even found some paper money - no - the machine didn't detect it: t'was floating about one inch off the bottom - £20 pounds - blown out of the hand from someone walking across Tower Bridge? Paid for several Pints of Ale later on!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2019 05:33PM by Des D.
January 25, 2019 06:11PM
Well, posting above on this thread got me curious, and I bought a Diablo micromax on eBay a few days ago. No coil. I checked local Craigslist’s and there was a Lobo Super Trac for sale near me cheap. I picked it up this AM. I can share the coil between the 2 detectors while I look for one of the very rare 7” elliptical for the micromax.

Playing with the LST and the 10” elliptical coil, I was reminded of how sharp the target response on that set up is, especially in all metal. That helped me make up my mind. I will use it on our club’s Holiday Hunt tomorrow. Eight hundred silver coins - 1 hundred Ike dollars, hundreds of buffalo and V nickels and IH pennies and a hundred prize tokens - buried on about a 1 acre plot and 50 - 75 happy hunters for one hour.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
January 27, 2019 02:45AM
Aaron Wrote:
> That Bandido uMax is not a east unit to find. Rece
> ntly picked up a Bandido 1 in excellent condition
> for my daughter to use.
> I'd like to find a Pantera, but those are even to
> harder find.
> I think the older Tesoros are starting to become q
> uite collectable especially with the company going
> out.
>
> Aaron

if ya manage to score a mojave,you should hang on to it because it is a "new" model (2017) and don't believe they made many before they quit.getting real tough to find...i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 27, 2019 09:34AM
I have 4 Tesoro detectors and I like them all. Here lately a Tesoro is all I have been using when I go out. If i had to pick a favorite, I guess it would be my Bandido ll Micro max.
January 27, 2019 12:06PM
Gota say the Golden Micro max is my favorite...but the Bandido ll Micro max is a close second.
I own 8 Tesoro's and love them allsmiling smiley