Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which brand of pinpointer do you use?

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Which brand of pinpointer do you use?
January 01, 2019 11:09PM
Whites TRX. Great tool.
January 02, 2019 12:30AM
Kind of liking mi MI-4 the few times I have used it. Always used the TRX before the MI-4 and really like it.
January 02, 2019 12:46AM
With the Tek-Points and F-Pulse.......

If you turn it on touching metal....and it locks up to whjere you must break battery contact...you have a Gen 1.

If you turn it on touching metal and it does NOT lock up...you have a Gen 2...which fixes the lockup (and most falsing issues).

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]
January 02, 2019 12:57AM
White's TRX. I'll never wear it out since it's not used for digging.
January 02, 2019 01:13AM
TheHunterGT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With the Tek-Points and F-Pulse.......
>
> If you turn it on touching metal....and it locks u
> p to whjere you must break battery contact...you h
> ave a Gen 1.
>
> If you turn it on touching metal and it does NOT l
> ock up...you have a Gen 2...which fixes the lockup
> (and most falsing issues).

Very interesting, thanks for that info Hunter.
January 02, 2019 01:16AM
TheHunterGT Wrote:
>
> ave a Gen 1.
>
So all of them can be sent in for a free replacement gen 2? They were pretty much unusable. Spent way too much time fighting with them..
January 02, 2019 01:24AM
TheHunterGT Wrote:
>
> ave a Gen 1.
>

How would one know if purchasing online what version the seller is selling?? Is there a particular serial number or visual difference??? I am assuming the warranty would only cover the original owner.....would Fisher send a Gen-2 as a replacement for a faulty Gen-1?? You mentioned.....fixes most falsing issues. So far the TRX is still King, but always looking for something better. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2019 01:31AM by Arkansas.
January 02, 2019 04:27AM
(black garrett!) still in good shape after tons of hours in the field!
works fine,and sensitive enough for me.

(h.h.!
j.t.
January 02, 2019 09:48AM
Yeah, but, j.t., you are still using a Tesero, too! grinning smiley Happy New Year to you, bud. HH jim tn
January 02, 2019 11:42AM
I don't have one & never used one. I just swing the coil of my detector over the hole and the plug. One of these days I will get one, I have been telling myself that for at least 20 years.
January 02, 2019 04:04PM
I currently use the TRX and the Tek Point. I like them both for different reasons. I like the sensitivity of the TRX. I like the ground handling of the Tek Point. If I am specifically looking for targets beyond the ability of the 15 ns pulse delay of the Tek Point, then I use the TRX. If coin hunting or just scouting new sites, I use the Tek Point.

I think the lost pin pointer alert causes the most problems.

I like the 16 frequency selections on the Tek Point. Very easy to match to your detector, just make sure it doesn't cause silent masking if you hunt with your pin pointer on all the time. The Tek Point will silent mask your detector when your coil swings into its magnetic field. which is very large and your coil will be in it half of the swing. When selecting the Tek Point/F-Point frequency, make sure to choose the proper frequency while pointing your Tek Point at your detector coil while swinging over a target. You DON'T want to use the one that makes your detector stop responding to the target! HAHA!

My Tek Point is the Gen 1 device. I haven't gotten a Gen 2 yet though I expect to.

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2019 05:40PM by Mike Hillis.
January 02, 2019 05:38PM
I have had many pinpointers. My favorite is the XP Mi-6 and use it with my Deus. I also have the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT Z-Lynk and use it along with the Garrett Z-Lynk Wireless System and use it on my Nox 800. I have to say that the Z-Lynk system really works great and in my books well worth the price. With both of these pinpointers. Those, like me that have hearing problems, will appreciate being able to use headphones and hear the pinpointers and the detector through the headphones without going through the hassle of raising one side of the headphones to hear the pinpointer. For me, that is priceless!
January 03, 2019 02:31AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Very interesting, thanks for that info Hunter.

My pleasure. smileys with beer

basstrackerman
So all of them can be sent in for a free replacement gen 2? They were pretty much unusable. Spent way too much time fighting with them..

I am unsure on their policy on returning a Gen 1 just because it is a Gen 1. If the falsing frustrates you to the point you feel it is "broken", that would be my angle on a return. I personally use a Gen 1, and even a prototype they let me keep. Both false on occasion, but nothing a detune does not handle (quickly press the button).

Arkansas
How would one know if purchasing online what version the seller is selling?? Is there a particular serial number or visual difference??? I am assuming the warranty would only cover the original owner.....would Fisher send a Gen-2 as a replacement for a faulty Gen-1?? You mentioned.....fixes most falsing issues.

I am unsure of the exact date code when the new firmware was implemented. They are pretty hush about this sort of stuff. They sponsor my YT channel...let me prototype test...but beyond that they tell me to STFU and make me sign mountains of NDA's. Anything from the 3rd quarter of last year on should be new...but that is about all I got for ya. If you feel it is faulty, they will most likely flash it with Gen 2 firmware, or perhaps even end a new unit...idk of the exact policy. They are great at customer service...so I'd give them a call and see what's up.

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2019 02:33AM by TheHunterGT.
January 03, 2019 07:45AM
SkiWhiz Wrote:
> I don't have one & never used one. I just swing th
> e coil of my detector over the hole and the plug.
> One of these days I will get one, I have been tell
> ing myself that for at least 20 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2019 07:48AM by jmaryt.
January 03, 2019 07:52AM
jim tn Wrote:
> Yeah, but, j.t., you are still using a Tesero, too
> ! grinning smiley Happy New Year to you, bud. HH jim tn

yes! jim! as usual,,your "powers of observation" are still 'sharp!"
just found out today tesoro has NOT 'croaked" this pleases me,as it's getting more 'difficult" to "defend the turf" (so to speak) ,over time! ..happy new year to you,and yours jim!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 03, 2019 11:44AM
I use the Garrett ZLynk PP. Pairs up nicely with the headphones, and along with the transmitter, I can now use this setup with my Anfibio Multi.

XP DEUS* NAUTILUS 2B WITH WHITES ROD CONVERSION* LESCHE PIRANAH* LESCHE DIGGER* THE BOMB SHEATH* GARRETT ZLYNK PP W/ WIRELESS HEADPHONES* OLDEST COIN 1776 2 REALE*
January 03, 2019 06:48PM
I have a box full of them hardly use them but like the Tek one the most.

I'd use them more if they could discriminate

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 03, 2019 11:19PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> I have a box full of them hardly use them but like
> the Tek one the most.
>
> I'd use them more if they could discriminate
>
> Keith

Waterproof, Bluetooth and with Discrimination would be the cat's meow.

tabman
January 04, 2019 12:20AM
I'm okay with the Makro pinpointer, though the top buttons are awkward and I continually forget its multiple functions. I liked the Minelab Pro-Find better as the controls are easily acquired, but it tended to pick up EMI and starts motor-boating making it useless. It also reacted to saltwater in the pouch in the water making it bothersome. The Marko is quiet in the water, doesn't react to EMI that I've found, but adjusting it with the buttons on top is not pleasant (typically just turn it on and leave it on to keep it simple). I've used the Garrett and Vibra Probe (which is not very sensitive) and will stick with the Makro for now.