Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First time ever detecting with no trash recovery.

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First time ever detecting with no trash recovery.
April 04, 2020 03:29PM
I may have only about a dozen hours on the 600, so I decided to give the disc system a good workout. I used Park1 and disced out everything below 25. detected a field next to a church I've hunted before. Dug 13 targets. 12 were clad coins at about 3 to 4". One gave me a long signal so I knew it wasn't a coin. It was an aluminum tent peg. 3 targets gave me only a one way signal so when I switched to Park2, there was trash all around them. Two dimes and one Quarter.

Perfect discrimination.

Next I detected the other side of the old church where I had found a Barber dime and 2 mercs and a few Wheaties with my MX Sport. Sorry/glad to say my only find was a copper memorial penny. The Sport cleaned it out. A few months ago I did revisit that site again with the Sport and didn't find anything, either.

So the Nox has proved to be a monster discriminator. However, it couldn't see the 12" Quarter I buried a couple of years back in the playground next to my building whereas the Sport would get it in mixed mode and ID it as non ferrous.
Re: First time ever detecting with no trash recovery.
April 04, 2020 05:01PM
Of course, you know we're gonna ask you what your settings were on the 600.

Good post.
April 05, 2020 07:12PM
Does the 600 have prospecting mode?

If it does that to me on Equinox is the depth demon and sort of comparable to the mixed mode on the Sport .

In my soil that Equinox 800 in prospecting mode can hold a smooth threshold which alot of units cant.And really helps it jump down there.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 05, 2020 09:56PM
EQX-600 does not have Prospecting Modes.
April 06, 2020 02:12AM
Detectorist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I may have only about a dozen hours on the 600, so
> I decided to give the disc system a good workout.
> I used Park1 and disced out everything below 25. d
> etected a field next to a church I've hunted befor
> e. Dug 13 targets. 12 were clad coins at about 3 t
> o 4". One gave me a long signal so I knew it wasn'
> t a coin. It was an aluminum tent peg. 3 targets g
> ave me only a one way signal so when I switched to
> Park2, there was trash all around them. Two dimes
> and one Quarter.
>
> Perfect discrimination.
>
> Next I detected the other side of the old church w
> here I had found a Barber dime and 2 mercs and a f
> ew Wheaties with my MX Sport. Sorry/glad to say my
> only find was a copper memorial penny. The Sport c
> leaned it out. A few months ago I did revisit that
> site again with the Sport and didn't find anything
> , either.
>
> So the Nox has proved to be a monster discriminato
> r. However, it couldn't see the 12" Quarter I buri
> ed a couple of years back in the playground next t
> o my building whereas the Sport would get it in mi
> xed mode and ID it as non ferrous.

Some folks will say for relic and coin hunting a model 600 EQX will do everything a 800 EQX will do.
Using basically the park, field and beach modes.
Question is, is this so ???
Short answer is IMo NO!

Let me give real live example of how Eqx 800 behaves in my area (soil wise).
Using speed 4 EQX 800 user will definitely miss some finds.
Even testing over test garden (knowing where things are buried) using speed 4 hard to get consistent tone on sweeps, pot luck really.
So increase speed to 5, detector hits lot more consistently on deeper items.
So if I had a EQX 600 unit for maximum depth and to be able to get consistent tone when sweeping the deeper items I would have to use either speeds 3 or 2. Speed 3 on 600 model equates to speed 6 on 800 model ( not as deep as speed 5 on 800 model). And using speed 2 on 600 model equates to speed 4 on 800 unit and you see what I said above as far as my area using speed 4 on my EQX 800.
Now someone who lives where soil is more mineralized 5 bars (F75), the 600 model may indeed mimick moreso 800 eqx performance probably due to 800 user being stuck with having to use speed 6, which equates to speed setting 3 on 600 model.
So basically for what is's worth, IMO if you live in area with strong 3 bars ground and 4 bars ground the EQX 800 will give user some benefit. (Just from speed selection options alone).

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2020 02:16AM by tnsharpshooter.