Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nautilus Detector

Posted by virginia digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nautilus Detector
January 11, 2019 11:34AM
Does anyone still hunt with a Nautilus detector?
Re: Nautilus Detector
January 11, 2019 12:06PM
I still get out with mine from time to time. Took it out last year and found a nice vest sized ball button and just a few years ago I run upon 8 Indians in one spot....1864 thru 1907. Had Wayne @ Nautilus do the rod modification and new coil.

XP DEUS* NAUTILUS 2B WITH WHITES ROD CONVERSION* LESCHE PIRANAH* LESCHE DIGGER* THE BOMB SHEATH* GARRETT ZLYNK PP W/ WIRELESS HEADPHONES* OLDEST COIN 1776 2 REALE*
January 11, 2019 04:18PM
I have 3 winking smiley And still, love it. Perfect audio line. Nothing can compare.
January 11, 2019 08:11PM
Just like the CZ-3D I recently started a thread about, this is one (or three) detector(s) I should've never let go. My most recent Nauty was a hot one mounted on a White's rod with the 6", 10" & 15" coils. If memory serves me correctly I traded it in on my EQ800. Don't get me wrong, the Nox is a great detector but I've had three Nautys and I have ended up kicking myself after letting of each of them go.

They say you live and learn from your mistakes. Well I've lived just over 52 years and in that time I've made more mistakes than a bean counter can keep track of. If selling great detectors only to regret it later is truly a mistake there's been no sign of me learning anything yet. As a matter of fact I'll probably buy the next one I find on a straight shaft at a good price just so I can repeat the process somewhere down the road.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 08:17PM by Chris Woods.
January 11, 2019 08:16PM
I had 3 IIBa's, a IIB, and a DMC II.
Sold My last one as I just don't have as many sites for it as I use to. I Would still like to have My First IIBa back though as it had the thicker coil that lasts forever. It was rock solid and loved deep Injuns like no other.
Dug one at 12" easy with the 8" Coil.
My ground is Mild to Moderate I should add. But still that's a deep coin anyway You look at it. A lot Explorers, CZs, Whites , and every other brand walked over it as a well known site that is now closed to detecting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 08:22PM by Harold,ILL..
January 12, 2019 12:30AM
I loved the brand. It used to be that was how you could tell a serious relic hunter from a rookie was by his choice of machines. Great company until the original owner, Jerry Tyndal got sick and sold the business. Second owner cut corners and sent out many bad units. Look who won the GNRS competitions. It was always Nautilus until the change in ownership. Other companies were never even close in the scoring. Now Wayne owns the company and is trying to keep the brand afloat.
January 12, 2019 12:35PM
virginia digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I loved the brand. It used to be that was how you
> could tell a serious relic hunter from a rookie wa
> s by his choice of machines. Great company until t
> he original owner, Jerry Tyndal got sick and sold
> the business. Second owner cut corners and sent ou
> t many bad units. Look who won the GNRS competitio
> ns. It was always Nautilus until the change in own
> ership. Other companies were never even close in t
> he scoring. Now Wayne owns the company and is tryi
> ng to keep the brand afloat.

Right mate. I'm expecting something more or new... Nexus is deeper than Nautilus but audio, yes audio isn't good enough... so.
January 12, 2019 12:55PM
I have a local detecting buddy that is notorious for getting into and out of metal detecting. When he gets into it, he buys a lot of machines. Then when he gets out, he REALLY gets out. Fire sale...everything must go. Anyway, a couple yrs ago he had a Nautilus IIba with 15, 10 , and 6 inch coils. He was letting me borrow it for some revisit tests at the bullet fields. Then he calls and says he needed it back. I brought it back to him and then find out why a few days later. He had sold the whole thing, for $200. It was in incredible shape. The 15 and 6 inch coils had never been used. I about died when I found out. I'd of gave him more than that, but he thought for some reason that I didn't like it and sold it and a Whites Blue & Gray Pro quick to get some gun he was wanting. He let the Blue & Gray go for $200 too...with 3 coils.
January 12, 2019 03:18PM
What a waste! I have 3 used units. The biggest pain is coils quality. Many are broken out of calibration.
January 12, 2019 04:32PM
Yes that is why I prefer the thicker coils as eventhough heavier they stay balanced for the most part. And if it needs to be balanced one time is usually all the thicker coils need for years of use. I know a guy who has a 15 year old thick coil that never went out of balance.