Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Going to give the Gold Kruzer a go around this year

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Going to give the Gold Kruzer a go around this year
January 16, 2019 09:22PM
I've been watching the high frequency detectors and decided to go ahead and give the Gold Kruzer a run and see if it will round me out. I had my eyes on the GoldBug II and the ORX but after some reflection, the Gold Kruzer seems to offer the simplicity of the GoldBug II with the addition of an LCD meter and appropriate coil selections. It may be that the frequency/coil size combination will allow low sensitivity settings for tiny jewelry hunting.

I dunno. But I think I'll find out. Probably should have bought yours Tex.

HH
Mike
Re: Going to give the Gold Kruzer a go around this year
January 16, 2019 10:40PM
What do you consider "Tiny" I have an ORX and the Gold Kruzer. Maybe I could do some tests on my wife"s gold for you? I have the ORX elliptical coil coming in the next few days

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2019 10:47PM by texkinzee.
January 16, 2019 11:00PM
That would be way cool, Texkinzee, if you could do something like that.

What I would want to know is how low you can run the sensitivity settings and still pick up the stud type gold earrings and at least the clasps on the chains at say, three to four inches.

Thanks,
Mike
January 16, 2019 11:48PM
ok.
January 16, 2019 11:52PM
Mike,

Have you tried the GB2? Its crazy powerful, 70 kHz of raw energy. There wasnt a single piece of jewelry a tested it with that it didnt pickup. I kinda wish I still had mine, used to search volleyball courts with it. Takes some getting used too, little bit of a learning curve. One thing I had that was extremely helpful (in sand) was a plastic strainer bowl I got from Tom. Since you cant wave your hand in front of the coil, you just dump it in the bowl, the holes are very tiny, so it sifts slower. Its incredible how small GB2 the targets were, gives your eyes a real workout trying to find them.

Aaron
January 16, 2019 11:57PM
Let us know how the Gold Kruzer goes, I am curious. I sold my GB2 last fall and am in the market for a new vlf nugget machine after trying the nox and not liking it for small nugget hunting. I hunt 90% of the time with my gpx4500 but also run a vlf for tiny nuggets. I have been leaning to buying the GM1000. For simplicity. I will buy some new vlf by springtime. Before I head for Nevada nugget detecting again.
January 18, 2019 07:19AM
I have eliminated the Gold Kruzer based on the test's you asked me to perform. Next up the ORX. The high frequency elliptical coil will be here Saturday. It's a very fine line based on the size and conductivity of a stud earring. The frequency will need to be higher. Small gold, not tiny, will be detected.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2019 07:45AM by texkinzee.
January 18, 2019 02:35PM
Thank you for testing, Texkinzee.

For comparison, the F75LTD with the little elliptical concentric coil in Disc mode, with the Boost and JE modes, will detect my very tiny 3mm 4-prong 10k white gold earring stud out to between 1 and 1-1/2" depending on orientation with a pretty good audio. My GoldBug Pro with the 5" DD will do the same but with not as good audio. That is good! But to do that I have the sensitivity set to 99. That is bad for turf hunting small jewelry as it enlarges the coil foot print and lights up too much.

So what I'm thinking is that if I raise the frequency, I could lower the sensitivity, allowing me to keep a smaller coil footprint and get better depth.

But if the Gold Kruzer requires a max sensitivity setting to get increases .... I dunno.

I've watched one of the gold test videos of the Gold Kruzer, mostly so I could hear the tones. I like the basic tones and I like the way the tones blend on the edge break points. I like the concentric coils. Looking at that video its seems like its pretty much a shallow unit anyway and maybe the high sensitivity settings won't matter as much as I think.

When I compare to the Goldbug2, I think it will be too much for turf.

I dunno.

HH
Mike
January 18, 2019 04:52PM
Mike I was able to try the ORX with the elliptical this morning. At 71 kHz with 5 levels of iron disc and lowering the reactivity to 1 I was able to hit the tiny gold stud earring at roughly 3 inches with a target ID of 1. Clearly heard with the threshold at 2.. So since I have the Nox 800 with the six inch coil using either gold program's with a few simple adjustments I was able to hit the same stud earring at 4". It also read 1 conductivity on the meter with iron disc on. I could hear modulated audio for even more depth. Also some of her larger gold earring's showed conductivity of 1 to 4 on the meter. Hope this may help.
January 18, 2019 06:13PM
Texkinzee, So just to make sure I understand, does the Gold Kruzer Micro Jewelry mode pick up micro jewelry? It sounds from your response that it won't.

HH
Mike
January 18, 2019 06:15PM
texkinzee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike I was able to try the ORX with the elliptical
> this morning. At 71 kHz with 5 levels of iron disc
> and lowering the reactivity to 1 I was able to hi
> t the tiny gold stud earring at roughly 3 inches w
> ith a target ID of 1. Clearly heard with the thres
> hold at 2.. So since I have the Nox 800 with the s
> ix inch coil using either gold program's with a fe
> w simple adjustments I was able to hit the same st
> ud earring at 4". It also read 1 conductivity on t
> he meter with iron disc on. I could hear modulated
> audio for even more depth. Also some of her larger
> gold earring's showed conductivity of 1 to 4 on th
> e meter. Hope this may help.

I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what distance the Gold Kruzer can get that stud earring while maxed out in boost mode, thank you.
January 18, 2019 07:50PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> Texkinzee, So just to make sure I understand, doe
> s the Gold Kruzer Micro Jewelry mode pick up micro
> jewelry? It sounds from your response that it w
> on't.
>
> HH
> Mike

Not the smallest of stud earring's . Boost did very little. This is what I found. Slightly larger jewelry was no problem for any of the detectors. I have a mm ruler some where so I will measure some samples again. Small gold nuggets do well.
January 18, 2019 08:13PM
Thanks for all your help with this Texkinzee.

My micro test target is the type Tom Dankowski recommends, only I bet it is a bit smaller than he would ideally use as the stone is too small to be of any value. But still, it shows capability.

Sounds like the Nox 800 and a 6" coil is the pill for my illness, not the Gold Kuzer.

Appreciate it.
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2019 08:17PM by Mike Hillis.
January 18, 2019 08:52PM
texkinzee Wrote:
> Mike Hillis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Texkinzee, So just to make sure I understand, d
> oe
> > s the Gold Kruzer Micro Jewelry mode pick up mic
> ro
> > jewelry? It sounds from your response that it
> w
> > on't.
> >
> > HH
> > Mike
>
> Not the smallest of stud earring's . Boost did ver
> y little. This is what I found. Slightly larger je
> welry was no problem for any of the detectors. I h
> ave a mm ruler some where so I will measure some s
> amples again. Small gold nuggets do well.

Thanks for the info
January 19, 2019 06:46AM
Is the Gold Kruzer and Gold Racer the same frequency?? Just curious. Thanks
January 19, 2019 10:46AM
56 kHz for the Racer and 61 kHz for the Kruzer.
January 21, 2019 02:10PM
I guess I should formally retract my statement. I will not be trying a Gold Kruzer this year.

HH
Mike
January 21, 2019 10:18PM
It is still possible if you want?