Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The T2, just wondering

Posted by Bill long 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The T2, just wondering
January 19, 2019 12:56AM
I was just wondering why in a lot of folk's opinion the T2 is considered old technology.
Re: The T2, just wondering
January 19, 2019 02:24AM
'Cuz it's in it's 13 year?

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 19, 2019 03:45AM
Most of our nuclear arsenal is older than that. I expect it would effectively do it’s job in the unhappy event that it was called upon to do so.

I trained in USAF Pilot Training on the T-38 and went on to fly the KC-135. That was more than 45 years ago. Both aircraft are still in service and performing excellently.

13 years in the glacial progress of. Metal detecting technology is like 2 years in smart phone technology.

Finding stuff in the complex matrix of the earth is devilishly difficult. Just ask the next multiple amputee ex-eod troop who you pull up behind and see his Purple Heart license plate!
My favorite was a while back here in Phoenix - nice SUV - AZ Purple Heart license plate - it read “IED X3” - respect....

Finding stuff in the ground is many orders of magnitude harder than finding it in the air or water.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2019 03:52AM by lytle78.
January 19, 2019 08:36AM
My T2 is one of the original green ones from 2006/7 era,is it old technology ?? i dont personally care that folks think its old technology or not,its found me the most gold coins from celtic gold staters upto Viccy sovereigns over the years,so its still my No1 everyday machine,albeit in the last 2 years have changed over from discrimination mode to AM mode and the finds still keep coming.If it aint broke dont fix it,i am not one for chasing the latest must have machine that we have been brain washed into having,which does happen.

I do have other detectors infact a substantial amount of them and more coils that you can shake a stick at,but these are predominately site specific use machines as well as the coils,but the T2 is still used every week and a joy to use,but it keeps finding decent targets all the time,i do also own machines like Deusx2,Nexusx2,TDI Pro,TW-5 twin box and many others,but the T2 still produces the goodies.Even the fact that its had 1000s and 1000s of hours of use,i am still always learning new things and it still provides me with enjoyment and steady flow of very old finds.

How does one define old technology,if it works on my UK sites then i will carry on using it.
January 19, 2019 10:40AM
Just an older offering. The detector will and always will find targets as you and I both know. This one escaped all the hype youtube creates today. 60.39.bp. forever.
January 19, 2019 11:11AM
It's been around for over 11 years, so while it was very good at the time, it hasn't been improved upon significantly since, whereas rival manufacturers machines have.
It lacks such features as:
Water-resistant/waterproof packaging.
Selectable operating frequency.
Cordless headphone capability.

And to a lesser extent, rivals have introduced more innovative stem designs, added user-updateable software, and battery-related improvements, such as rechargeable lithium capability, charging the battery without removing it from the machine, etc.

I'm not bashing it, I use its sibling F75, and it's a competent machine. But it has plenty of small flaws that could be improved upon, and it has plenty of potential to be built upon and enhanced.
January 19, 2019 11:37AM
Sounds like the Tesoro argument all over again. Just insert your favorite detector model and defend it. If you like what you swing why worry about what others think?
January 19, 2019 01:34PM
Yes and probably another reason why the US detectors are getting the big heave ho ,is because people are making the East European detector manufacturers richer by their detectors are being bought over the USA ones. What a lot of you guys don`t seem to realise is , is The East European detectors are nothing more than CLONES with small variations of American ones. Take the Golden Mask 3 for starters . It appears to be nothing more than a re vamped innards of the Fisher 1266X. The Chinese are at it too with their Copies of the Teknetics T2 on their GF2 . That is a blatant outrageous Clone of the Teknetics T2 and how they get away with it is beyond me. I`ve even seen a obvious Chinese copy recently called a Tianxun which is nothing more than a Cloned Teknetics G2. Its an exact copy right down to the control box fascia being the same. It shouldn`t be allowed to happen
If you buy a East European detector direct from Eastern Europe, try getting it repaired by sending it to them and then getting it sent back to you. Half the time some won`t even answer you back, let alone return your repaired detector.
So stay TRUE to your own country Guys ,and resist the temptation to turn your backs on your home brands by making the East Europeans rich, otherwise your country will go down the Pan ,and countries like China and the East Europeans will get stronger and wipe the USA market out all together.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2019 01:39PM by Bors.
January 19, 2019 01:43PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like the Tesoro argument all over again. Ju
> st insert your favorite detector model and defend
> it. If you like what you swing why worry about wha
> t others think?

Goodmore, please don't turn this thread into an argument. That's not at all what it's intended to be
January 19, 2019 01:52PM
Bill, I cannot see where any argument is happening. Its a fact that the T2 plus others are getting copied by the Chinese , are we to do a three monkeys and see no evil, hear no evil, and speak no evil ,to just say nothing and sweep the matter under the carpet ,or do we say NO & stop buying the cheap rip off clones that just damage your own detector manufactures future?
January 19, 2019 02:41PM
Quote Bill Long: " That's not at all what [this thread] is intended to be"

Your opening post is extremely vague. Please tell us what the thread IS intended to be about. Are you planning on buying a T2, but are concerned it's not that good ? Are you trying to sell one, but find no-one's interested because it's viewed as last-years tech? Do you own one presently? etc etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2019 11:42PM by Pimento.
January 19, 2019 03:56PM
Old technology works ought to cover it and will find goodies....
January 19, 2019 04:51PM
A rose by any other name... I pointed out it's 13 years old. I should have added it IS a darn fine detector and will work as well or better, than the day it became the default go to unit for a whole lot of relic hunters.
There are some major improvements in the field that would be considered 'new' tech, but most of it is features and adjustments not raw performance. I would not think ill of anyone purchasing one even in today's market. For the price, it's a good deal IMHO.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 19, 2019 05:19PM
Deffo NOT 'old technology' in my book!
One of the finest machines used to date.
Loved everything about it with the exception of 'wild EMI' at times necessitating a SENS reduction from 99 to 79 to 70: so I could never run it 'wide open!'
Sold it to a Dealer who had a Customer for one but couldn't locate a clean one so I got offered a price that I couldn't refuse and way above the odds of 'Main Street'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2019 05:20PM by Des D.
January 19, 2019 07:12PM
Its a very good machine and it will find the goods. I love the T2 with a NEL Sharpshooter attached it's a killer combo in iron.
January 20, 2019 01:22AM
Bors Wrote:
> Yes and probably another reason why the US detecto
> rs are getting the big heave ho ,is because people
> are making the East European detector manufacturer
> s richer by their detectors are being bought over
> the USA ones. What a lot of you guys don`t seem to
> realise is , is The East European detectors are no
> thing more than CLONES with small variations of A
> merican ones. Take the Golden Mask 3 for starters
> . It appears to be nothing more than a re vamped
> innards of the Fisher 1266X. The Chinese are at i
> t too with their Copies of the Teknetics T2 on the
> ir GF2 . That is a blatant outrageous Clone of th
> e Teknetics T2 and how they get away with it is be
> yond me. I`ve even seen a obvious Chinese copy r
> ecently called a Tianxun which is nothing more th
> an a Cloned Teknetics G2. Its an exact copy right
> down to the control box fascia being the same. It
> shouldn`t be allowed to happen
> If you buy a East European detector direct from
> Eastern Europe, try getting it repaired by sending
> it to them and then getting it sent back to you.
> Half the time some won`t even answer you back, le
> t alone return your repaired detector.
> So stay TRUE to your own country Guys ,and resist
> the temptation to turn your backs on your home bra
> nds by making the East Europeans rich, otherwise y
> our country will go down the Pan ,and countries li
> ke China and the East Europeans will get stronger
> and wipe the USA market out all together.

Obviously, you haven't dealt with Nok/Mak. Their customer service is second to none. It seems to me that all detector manufacturers "copy" tech from each other. I agree with you on the Chinese clones. XP, for example, is very innovative which seems to be lacking from the American companies. Right now, I feel that the American companies have fallen behind. We spend our hard earned money on what we feel is the best bang for the buck... and that is where the (my) money goes. As the European/Australian companies get "stronger" it should be a wake up call to the American companies to become competitive again. The free market at work. Perhaps, the American companies will wake up...I'm not holding my breath, though.

As to the T2...like others stated, old tech that still works. It will still find stuff.

Dean
January 20, 2019 01:32AM
It was/is so good,that other competitors did their best to copy it!
January 20, 2019 02:36AM
Pimento Wrote:
> Quote Bill Long: " That's not at all w
> hat [this thread] is intended to be"

>
> Your opening post is extremely vague. Please te
> ll us what the thread IS intended to be about
> Are you planning on buying a T2, but are concerned
> it's not that good ? Are you trying to sell one, b
> ut find no-one's interested because it's viewed as
> last-years tech? Do you own one presently? etc etc
> .

WHAT ?
January 20, 2019 04:33AM
Bill long Wrote:
> I was just wondering why in a lot of folk's opinio
> n the T2 is considered old technology.

You think that's old tech
Try a Fisher CZ or
Minelab Explorer 20+ years
These detectors are still being used today with great success.
January 20, 2019 09:31AM
"WHAT ?"
You've had all sorts of answers, ranging from people telling you why they, or others think it's old tech; through to a discussion about Eastern Europes detectors, opinions about Chinese counterfeiters, demining, the US detector industry. And others replying they think it's a great machine, and they don't think it's old tech.
I hope somewhere among the selection of replies, you found the answer.

Edit: Having been through your recent posts, I found this line "I swing a T2/dst and love it" , which at least gives some context to your question, and may help other people post more relevant replies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2019 10:58AM by Pimento.
January 20, 2019 01:22PM
Re-reading the OP, it pretty much set folks down all the wandering paths that the thread took, invitting comments .

Love it (or hate it, or don’t care) - because it’s old tech, because it’s old tech, or don’t believe that it’s old tech?

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2019 02:58PM by lytle78.
January 20, 2019 02:53PM
Of course 13yr OLD Tech is old tech - Especially in this industry -

Some companies can come from virtual absolute obscurity and launch an entire line of metal detectors that did run rings around the very impressive T2 -

Am I slammin 'old tech'? - no-way - my musky - omega - cf77 are all pretty hard to let go -

As for Teknetics, they still make the best detectors in the USA thumbs down

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
January 20, 2019 03:02PM
Is my 13 year old laptop old tech? It still works.

Dean
January 20, 2019 03:43PM
Thanks guys for all the replies. I didn't mean for my question to be so vague. I apologize for that. It was just a question based purely on curiosity why some folks consider the T2 old technology. Nothing to do with defending the machine or being offensive to others. Isn't the same old technology used in the development of the F75 /T2 detectors still being used today in the new array of great machines we are being offered? To me the most important technology advancements are the ones that enhance the performance of the detector. Being water proof I would think does not add to performance but certainly expands your hunting territory. Wireless headphones are a great creature comfort but does it add to performance. How much performance does rechargeable lithium batteries add? Being able to run multiple frequencies at the same time, I would consider that a huge enhancement. If I could , even though I can only swing one at a time, I'd have the deus, the orx, Anfibio multi, nox 800 and of course the T2. It's all good. Appreciate all of y'all. smileys with beer
January 20, 2019 04:11PM
Hi Bill, The fact of the matter is , If your proficient enough with the T2 there`s every chance, if its within detecting range you`ll get it . Most top of the range detectors today are pretty much on a parr with regards to depth ,give or take an inch.That`s taking the fishermens tales and Pinocchio out the equation .Agreed some of todays top models have some really good helpful additions to give you the edge so to speak. But I`ve had My F75 and My T2 for years now and I don`t plan on getting rid of them even though I could buy any top of the range detector out there. I still have confidence in these two Marques.
January 20, 2019 04:35PM
I think the word 'performance' would need to be defined in the context of the discussion.

If performance is basically how deep can the unit detect, then that is very limited.

If performance encompasses not only depth, but accuracy of ID, target separation, ergonomics, etc. then it's a different ball game.

In the evolutionary chain, there were CZ's, Nautilus, Whites big box, then F75/T2, FBS platforms, then Deus, Nokta/Makro.

I know there are many, many others that can be included in that list. Point being we went from great performing units that were heavy, meter ID, big knobs, to lighter weight, faster recovery speeds, better performance in mineralized soil/salt water beach hunting, to now really light, wireless, water proof, updates via computer, etc.

Wonder if the next step is boots acting as the coils, phone app, wireless ear buds. Just walk and then dig ? HA !
January 20, 2019 05:29PM
Yes but at what point does acceptance cease in evolution because the detectors are getting that high tech before you then lose the skill levels also required we should have today and which make the art of detecting not only a skilful hobby but an enjoyable hobby, and how long before we just rely on the detector to to do ALL the work for us? No problem if all you want to do is find and sell for profit, but I`ve never been into detecting for that. I actually enjoy detecting for the thrill of the hunt because detecting skills plays a big part in whether I find or not. Who wants a machine you could just wave in front of you and have an X ray vision of whats below you. Wheres the skill and the fun value in that ?
We`ve probably all joked about that possibility maybe one day ,but surely that would put an end to good old skill hunting and the thrill of the hard earned find.
No, I still like the F75`s and the T2`s of yesterday which DO require an element of skill to work them proficiently, AND ,I still get lots of enjoyment using them.
January 20, 2019 10:52PM
Ah, finally somebody mentions ergonomics. NOBODY has equaled or exceed the ergonimics of the mechanical design Dave Jonhson at First Texas put together for the T2. Since carried over in various designs like the F75, G2 and probably others in the future. The Deus is nice, but not nicer than a T2 to hold, swing and use. The Nox? An ergonomic joke. how do I know?

I took a trip thrkough El Paso in March last year and on my way through, paid my respects to Dave. I had my new Equinox 800 with me. Dave is wheelchair bound these days. As I walked towards him with the Nox, he said. Don’t hand it to me - I’ll tell you now what is wrong with the ergonomics. He went on to explain how the line of force from the center of the arm support through the center of the handle intersected the ground well in front of the coil. Being a dummy, I asked “so what”? He explained that that meant with every force reversal in a swing, the device would tend to twist around the axis of the line of force - guess what - it does.

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2019 01:45PM by lytle78.
January 21, 2019 01:56AM
That straight-line to the coil is something I picked up on, on my F75. I've made a nice re-designed shaft for it, and so during the design process, I drew out full-scale drawings of the original, while debating what to change / what to keep etc. And while pondering the S-bend I started noticing the positioning of the coil. I made some changes, based on the fact that I'm nearly always going to use it fully extended, as I'm lanky, but I didn't stray too far from original geometry.
(there's a thread on here about my research into tubing sizes and related stuff. )
January 21, 2019 03:05AM
The T2 is one of those detectors that I regret selling confused smiley