Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Do you find easy to use, performing detectors boring?

Posted by texkinzee 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
January 20, 2019 10:59AM
Or are you up to the challenge of tackling some that aren't so easy. Example given my Blisstool. Super deep but........
Re: Do you find easy to use, performing detectors boring?
January 20, 2019 11:45AM
It depends on my frame of mind. If I'm wound up or, twitchy as my wife calls it, and I just want to go out and hunt at a leisurely pace while listening to the wildlife and trying to relax the last thing I want is a sparky detector with a lot of user adjustable functions and controls to fiddle with. The combination of a single cup headphone paired with a "simple", slow swing detector like the Sovereign fits the bill perfectly on those days.

Then there are days when I'm calm as I head out to hunt. On those days I usually want a detector with more flexibility/capability and don't mind the tinkering it sometimes takes to keep them running hot and smooth.

Of course the process of choosing an appropriate site for the day's hunt is governed by the same state of mind guidelines and that can, from time to time, either bench me or send me cross county(ies) to a site that will accommodate my frame of mind as well as my previously chosen detector's ability to handle the ground conditions.
January 20, 2019 12:01PM
Some allow to many settings that one can easily mess up.... DFX comes to mind when it first came out. Others are more forgiving. As a water hunter i find the KISS machines .... like the Xcal work very well. Who wants to be pushing buttons all the time? To me thats when you need to take the time and ask yourself....... is it me or the design that just aint right. I like techy machines...... but allowing a lot of settings many machines do auto can frustrate you and leave you thinking..... did i miss targets? Thats not what you want.
January 20, 2019 12:30PM
For me.....I want simple. The Equinox is as complicated as I want to use. A detector that has a nice balance of settings and performance. The presets do just fine with the sensitivity dialed up. Change the tones if you want to.

I don't mind coming home with nada......I just want to make sure it wasn't through my ignorance of detector settings.

I think that is why detectors like the AT series have a loyal following. Just get the coil over metal. Simplicity.
January 20, 2019 12:34PM
I reckon it takes all kinds to make the world go round. The last thing I want if I am going to a site with huge potential, is to be second guessing and over thinking settings on my detector. I like going into places knowing, or at least thinking I have the best tool for the job at hand. I also like being versatile though...and not having to lug 2, 3, or 4 machines into a site is a plus. Example...next month we'll be returning to Brandy Rock Farm for what could very well be the last hunt on that farm. Great potential to find a find of a lifetime there...with the time restrain on it, to being limited to 3 days of hunting. That is no time to be second guessing or piddling around your detector or settings. With that said...what I find simple to operate, there are others that will say its too limited/stripped down and still yet others that will say its too complicated.

When I look at a detector coil, all I think about is the size ratio. Ground coverage & depth or site unmasking. Others look at it and wonder what gauge wire is inside, what resistance reading is it, do temperatures throw it off bad, could it be shieled better inside...all kinda stuff.
January 20, 2019 01:01PM
I've always enjoyed the simple easy to use detectors. But have owned many that need tinkering in order to be used. Depends on mood.. but the older I get the less I want to mess with alot of settings . To me the equinox is fun and easy. The deus is fun and just ever so slightly complicated/pretty easy. The whites V3i was wrap around the tree fun. Lol
January 20, 2019 01:17PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I reckon it takes all kinds to make the world go r
> ound. The last thing I want if I am going to a si
> te with huge potential, is to be second guessing a
> nd over thinking settings on my detector. I like
> going into places knowing, or at least thinking I
> have the best tool for the job at hand. I also li
> ke being versatile though...and not having to lug
> 2, 3, or 4 machines into a site is a plus. Exampl
> e...next month we'll be returning to Brandy Rock F
> arm for what could very well be the last hunt on t
> hat farm. Great potential to find a find of a life
> time there...with the time restrain on it, to bein
> g limited to 3 days of hunting. That is no time t
> o be second guessing or piddling around your detec
> tor or settings. With that said...what I find si
> mple to operate, there are others that will say it
> s too limited/stripped down and still yet others t
> hat will say its too complicated.
>
> When I look at a detector coil, all I think about
> is the size ratio. Ground coverage & depth or sit
> e unmasking. Others look at it and wonder what ga
> uge wire is inside, what resistance reading is it,
> do temperatures throw it off bad, could it be shie
> led better inside...all kinda stuff.

Just think what I could have found when I was given permission to hunt all the DIV sites back in the 80's. Only Mr. Spielman hated relic hunters that is unless of course you purchased a hunting dog from him. Ground balancing pulse detectors changed Culpeper forever. But still I was able to pull many buttons, plates and buckles and a sixth Maryland I.D. disc. from there. I also had a terrible headache from the ground noise. Good luck.Brandy Rock in my mind was the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2019 05:49PM by texkinzee.
January 20, 2019 03:26PM
I like it simple. That's why I like my cz-3d, easy set -up and has found me lots of 1800's coins. I see folks on the forums with detectors you have to program asking for the best settings and 20 people will give 20 different answers. In the back of my mind I would always be wondering which one is the best.
January 20, 2019 03:39PM
I enjoy using the simple beep & dig detectors such as Tesoro and DeepTech.
January 20, 2019 04:16PM
User friendly has its place...Lots of bells and whistles can help or hurt depending on settings...all a matter of choice...
January 20, 2019 04:56PM
Good question. For me easy to use units are not boring because it forces me to do more digging. I've dug non-ferrous targets with a beep and dig machine after searching with a complicated high end unit, same location. Why ??.....the high end units do most of the thinking for you....accept / reject. Probably the best balance is using a Minelab FBS machine with little to no disc and use your ears to decide what to dig. True multi-frequency (simultaneous) machines are the only machines that will hold true to their tone-ID even at depth. Even if one loves pushing buttons like a mad texter, its still good to have a Tesoro (or ??) to double check an area. Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2019 05:03AM by Arkansas.
January 20, 2019 11:48PM
I like easy programing. I find the Equinox 800 very easy to set up the way you want it. Also like the beep and dig detectors.

Rick
January 21, 2019 03:28AM
Yes.
I like interaction with the detector and environment. Too simple = Boring.

Dean
January 21, 2019 05:35AM
The simpler the better for me. I'll put up with a complicated machine if it gets me more performance but I'll never enjoy it. I want to swing the coil and find stuff, not waste time fiddling with settings.

January 21, 2019 12:29PM
There are people who like to fiddle, test and have long discussions about it and there are those who like to detect and find the good stuff.

tabman
January 21, 2019 12:45PM
All you supposed fiddlers need to go buy White’s V3i and call it a day.
Then let someone slip in behind you and dig the good stuff then you’ll know you didn’t fiddle enough. LoL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2019 12:46PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 21, 2019 04:25PM
That's pretty funny there TNSS.

I like simplicity as long as it's top notch performance. I have a simple deep unit for field work, few targets. I use a more complicated one for high trash high / iron.
I do like the KISS method....seems, as I get older. Could never use a V3i and keep my sanity.
January 21, 2019 04:25PM
It is easier/simpler to use someone else's detector and just learn to deal with its warts than it is to create your own unit specific to the task at hand. Of course the specific is better than the general purpose nearly all the time.

HH
Mike
January 21, 2019 04:34PM
I like a more complicated machine, because you have a learning curve and you will be surprised by the machine what you change etc i like fiddling the setting.
One thing important tho the machine need to work with defaut setting too, because having a machine that pretty bad from the start is not funny to use so you need at least a good base to put the effort in it.

But i understand people dont like complicated machine, one thing with the knob machine is you cannot save the setting and if you do something else than dirt it quite complicated , so i will say that if the machine is complicated , you need to be able to save setting on multiple slot ( like the deus for exemple).
January 21, 2019 05:41PM
That brings the whites v3i to mind, it will keep your brain busy for hours, maybe that's why it's still got very high resale value, even being 11 year old platform.

The f75, T2, etrac, at pro, Nox..... all are pretty easy setup with good performance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2019 05:46PM by Rob in (ca).
January 21, 2019 10:49PM
I like to fiddle with settings and trying to squeeze as much performance out of the detector as I can but with the "high Tech detector" your always wondering is that 1 setting off and is it throwing the whole thing off?
Now with the easy units like the CZ's, Tesoro's and such when I'm at a new and promising site this is what I want, you know the detectors running at peak performance and I can concentrate on detecting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2019 03:34AM by u2robert.
January 22, 2019 02:12AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> All you supposed fiddlers need to go buy White’s V
> 3i and call it a day.
> Then let someone slip in behind you and dig the go
> od stuff then you’ll know you didn’t fiddle enough
> . LoL.

LOL!! That’s my understanding too...in general. Sometimes too many options are just that,and leads to a WORSE setup than just turning it on. Not always,but it can certainly happen!
January 22, 2019 02:24AM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> The simpler the better for me. I'll put up with a
> complicated machine if it gets me more performance
> but I'll never enjoy it. I want to swing the coil
> and find stuff, not waste time fiddling with setti
> ngs.
>
> .
Exactly! I have never owned a detector that could show me more than my beep&dig detectors can tell me.

geo
January 22, 2019 05:22AM
All I want in a Detector is 2 things,
Tone I.D. and Modulated audio. Give Me those two things and I don't care if it has a meter or not.
January 22, 2019 05:35AM
Tex,

If the detector was easy to use and a Performing Detector, it wasn't boring at all. Quite the opposite. Those performing detectors are the ones that opened up the world. They make the trip afield an adventure. smoking smiley

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.