Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Beach Poll - Saltwater or wet sand?

Posted by Badger in NH 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Beach Poll - Saltwater or wet sand?
January 24, 2019 02:23PM
I would like to know how many of us hunt saltwater compared to those who hunt the wet sand.

If you do both, which do you do the most?

I hunt wet sand.

Water hunting on NH/Maine beaches is unnecessary because of our big tides.

Re: Beach Poll - Saltwater or wet sand?
January 24, 2019 03:00PM
I hunt the wet sand when I can get to CA. Usually the surf is too big to get into the water more than 12" or so.
January 24, 2019 03:04PM
Mostly in the water BUT the Nox has changed that with its increased depth and sensitivity to smaller gold. Much as hunting those small sand bars which most avoided because of the thick sand which mostly contained light trash. I believe the 8000 and the Fisher might make the wet sand more productive...we will see.
January 24, 2019 03:11PM
Both.....water mostly. Interesting thread - thanks for posting it!
January 24, 2019 03:34PM
wet sand , less gear required.
January 24, 2019 03:51PM
Same gear here most of the time.... throw on a wet suit at best. But that’s a good point. Season can make a big difference. Warmer weather here more recent drops. Winter we get more winds moving sand and it can keep u out of the water. Active beaches can mean more walkers near the water as well. Tides have a greater shift .... so depending on wind direction sand can be pushing or pulling targets off the beach. It can be a thought process even to decide which beach might produce.
January 24, 2019 04:04PM
I prefer the dry sand with a chair, umbrella, and adult beverage. smileys with beer
January 24, 2019 05:01PM
Both + dry; completely depends on what the lay of the land is and what the sand is doing.
January 24, 2019 05:08PM
Ankle deep to wet salt sand...when I can get down to Jersey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2019 11:03AM by ozzie.
January 25, 2019 04:31AM
Wet sand to old to get beat up by the waves.

After watching Tom D's video on

Beach and swimming hole hunting it's all about wet sand.
January 25, 2019 05:37AM
I start early on the dry sand along the towel-line before people arrive. Then move to the wet sand (typically hunting near low tide). Then as the people fill up the beach and it gets hotter - out in the water for the next few hours.

So, the amount of junk targets is the most at first when I'm freshest and willing to sift it out, then targets become fewer in the wet sand (and the ground is flatter). In the water targets mostly disappear, typically the detector is quiet until something is found.

If the waves are a bit rough, I don't bother to hunt that spot. I'll find some calm water or a lagoon; it is hard enough to extract a target on the sea bed in four feet of murky calm water, waves can make the task nearly impossible.
January 25, 2019 04:47PM
If the tide is going out, I'm feet wet most of the time and then in the wet sand if coming in. I work the cuts first.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
January 25, 2019 05:55PM
Saltwater or wet sand, which one is more productive?
January 25, 2019 06:38PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Saltwater or wet sand, which one is more productive?

I think tide has a lot to do with it.

Up here, we have big tides with a range of 12 to 13 feet, so 95% of the area where people swim is going to be wet sand at low tide. It's hardly worth getting wet for that unhunted 5% just beyond the low tide mark.

But, at places with smaller tides like 4 or 5 feet, the wet sand might only cover 50% of where the people swim, thus increasing the productivity in the water tremendously.

The smaller the tide, the better the water hunting will be. Bigger tides provide more wet sand to hunt.

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2019 11:48PM by Badger in NH.
January 25, 2019 06:57PM
Wet sand year round. Towel line in summer near dark.
January 25, 2019 07:55PM
I agree the tide can make a day depending on the beach. People can get to hunting one area like wet sand , neck deep.... ect and think they have found the magic solution.....but it really is all over the place...you just have to get a coil over it.