Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Floating antenna

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Floating antenna
January 24, 2019 08:27PM
I know bluetooth/wireless doesnt work on the Nox when the box is UNDERWATER. Doesnt the Deus have an antenna that extends out of the water? Is there a way to make some sort of an antenna that floats on say a doughnut... much like a sub might do when floating a communication buoy? Where would it have to connect to?
Re: Floating antenna
January 24, 2019 08:46PM
Those Deus 'water antennas' are actually a length of co-axial cable, with a 31mm long antenna on each end. One antenna is sufficiently close to the similar one inside the coil, that the surrounding water has minimal effect. Provided the other end is not submerged, it should re-transmit the coil signal similar to the coil itself. So, yes, it could be floated on a foamblock etc.
January 24, 2019 08:59PM
On the Nox where might that antenna have to be located? Could it be connected into the speaker jack?
January 24, 2019 10:00PM
Oh, I thought you wanted to float a Deus antenna....

The Equinox antenna is close to the top edge of the case, and runs horizontal, in the middle.
See the MD-Hunter post on it:
[md-hunter.com]
I can't say exactly where would be the best position for the co-ax antenna, but the rear face looks the most likely.
January 24, 2019 10:20PM
No was thinking of using a mono plug like on the phone into the jack....running it up the shatter to a small float.
January 25, 2019 12:15AM
Interesting topic, I had to chime in here.

I had purchased the antennae for the DEUS a few years ago and finally used it last summer

Unfortunately I was very disappointed.

As Pimento stated, yes, it is a co-axial cable. You string it down so the end of it is, (as I recall) near the blue tooth light. The other end obviously has to be out of the water and within a couple feet of the box. I had my box in a water-proof cell phone box.

The problem I had was the deeper I went, the more problems I had with signal. Once the water was above my stomach, the signal would go out for a few seconds then go back on again repeatedly.

Not acceptable.

If I stayed in water below my waste it was usually ok.

Anyway, the trusty old Tiger Shark was there to save the day, glad I brought it.

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2019 12:16AM by Aaron.