Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Lithium batteries

Posted by Bill long 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Lithium batteries
January 27, 2019 02:09AM
The top 3 dogs in the fight at this time seems to be Nokta, XP, and Minelab. At least in coming out with new stuff. My question is why is everything coming with rechargeable lithium batteries rather than self replaceable double A or 9 volt. What's the pros and cons and who benefits the most.
I'm gonna take a hind end whipping on this post I'm sure. Go easy on me. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2019 02:11AM by Bill long.
Re: Lithium batteries
January 27, 2019 06:07AM
A couple of advantages are that the Lithium batteries can usually be charged 1,000 times or more, so this saves a lot on buying batteries, and they are also lighter weight than Alkaline batteries.
January 27, 2019 06:20AM
Easier to waterproof
January 27, 2019 07:26AM
The same reason you don't see AA and 9v batteries in phones, and high end cameras and other electronc gear.

Non-rechargable alkalines are heavier, bulkier, shorter life at high current drains, and quite simply...in the long run, cost an arm and a leg in comparision to Li-ion.
(Lithium also work much better in colder temps where alkalines just give up.)

Who benefits?
The user.
Unless you only use your detector once or twice a year...then it doesn't really matter.
If you use it a lot, Li-ion quickly pays for itself.

Edit: Note this applies to all rechargeable Lithium based batteries: Lithium Ion (Li-ion), Lithium Polymer (Li-Po), Lithium Iron Phospate (LiFePO4), etc

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2019 09:35PM by Mike in CO.
January 27, 2019 09:14AM
I don't miss the bad battery life of those Tesoro days. Especially the Tejon and Vaquero. When those dropped a beep or two from the startup battery check, you had better replace batteries cause performance dropped like a rock. There are still some civil war sites I hunt where you run across where a slob relic hunter changed out batteries. They either dump them straight onto the ground or put them in their next dig hole. 20+ years later I come along, get a good deep signal and find a pile of Duracells 10 to 12 inches deep. smiling smiley

Hard to beat a Fisher F75 for battery life though. I swear I have changed those out just out of precaution, thinking the battery reader was not functioning properly.
January 27, 2019 09:37AM
Using the lithium.
Smaller yet produces same or more current, same or more run time.
Better performer in colder temps.
Less recharge memory effects.
Faster charge/recharge.
Stay charged longer in static condition once charged.
More of a semi permanent fit in detector so waterproofing power supply easier and less chance of leaking as far as waterproofing.

Cons.
Can be more of a fire hazard.
Transportation restrictions can crop up, especially air travel. Size of battery seems is factor.
If no back up power capability exist on detector battery must be charged vs swapping in say 9v or set of AA batteries.

In service life for lithium batterie seems is very good. Tech is proven now.
The makers of AA and 9v batteries likely don’t like invent and use of the Lipros.

Bill,
See you didn’t get a whipping.
Actually you ask good question on a topic.
Some folks believe it or not still haven’t warmed to to using detectors with lipro batteries. And some folks stilll don’t know the benefits.

Cheers.
Battery and light bulb tech has really been on the move last few years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2019 09:45AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 27, 2019 11:11AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

They ei
> ther dump them straight onto the ground or put the
> m in their next dig hole. 20+ years later I come
> along, get a good deep signal and find a pile of D
> uracells 10 to 12 inches deep. smiling smiley

THAT is absolutely disgraceful. What's wrong with just putting USED cells in a pocket or backpack and taking them to the store from where they were bought to recycle?
LAZINESS and DISREGARD for the environment.

We have a terrible problem in the countryside with what's called 'fly tipping': where a person 'dumps out' plastic bags full of domestic rubbish or 'a man with a van' (for hire) dumps out the contents of a house clearance in A SCENIC SPOT miles from anywhere and just the kind of place a detectorist likes to go!
Good one several years ago. I found just a spot where townsfolk dumped a load of plastic bags full of rubbish, beer cans, vodka bottles etc into a spot that had great historic provenance.
But I cleared away a ton of S*** foil and cans and the like and was rewarded with a gold coin.
Unfortunately, I couldn't progress to scan the entire area because it was 'chock-ful' of trash and bags! SAD.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2019 11:31AM by Des D.
January 27, 2019 01:01PM
Love the battery life on my F75. I prefer aa batteries over lithium so I can just swap them out when I need them instead of worrying about charging. I like to just leave my machine in the car most of the time.

Doesn't the Multi Kruzer have both options?
January 27, 2019 03:09PM
The members handled this question very well and thanks for the original post.

Down and dirty if you are an active detectorist way to go..if your not alkalines should suffice.

Personally feel fresh batteries give one that little extra.....Heck an inch or two deeper gives us the ability to find more...
January 27, 2019 03:27PM
Bill,

To answer your Q. (apology for getting carried away earlier)

I fought for years with MInelab's designer's for 'Li-Ion' battery power. To reduce WEIGHT (even going back to 'Sovereign' models)

Weight = was THE MOST CRITICISED aspect of Minelab machines Re: "Explorer", and even onto "CTX"

Anything that could be done to reduce OVERALL weight had to be welcome!

At the time they weren't too 'au-fait' with the technology as it was in its infancy in detector design.
The only manufacturer utilising 'li-ion' was "XP" with the innovative and radically designed "Deus"

The good news was, they finally got the Memo.

I have to single out just one physicist who was on the same page as myself. We plowed a lonely furrow for years.
Thank you "L2"

Des D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2019 03:29PM by Des D.
January 27, 2019 09:59PM
Tip:
About the only real disadvantage to Li-ion batteries, is that they like/need the chemistry to be frequently 'in-use'.

Other than overheating/overcharging, the worse think you can do with lithium batteries is to store them fully charged and unused for very long periods of time.
(Current best practice, is to store them at between 40%-60% charge.)

I like to say lithium need to be frequently 'stirred' to keep them in good health.
Do that, and they'll last a very long time...

mike
January 28, 2019 12:16PM
'Summertime' beach hunting (dry sand) can usually give up "a few" discarded AA's or others weekly.
'Wintertime' wet sand hunting can give up some too but not so many as dry sand in better weather.
If you recover the usually 'deep = 9" batteyr cells they're always rotten and can destroy the innards of your finds pouch. So I tend to carry a few "Ziplock sandwich bags" (6" x 5") and put them into that so they don't leave sand and chemical all over the pouch!
Then just dispose of them when home by safe means: in-store recycling helps.

Otherwise, I have nothing to add as the rest of the guys said almost everything, except: if "Garrett" introduces a new "ATPro 3" or such, I'd still prefer to be able to go to the 'grocery store' and be able to buy the type of batteries that it shipped with..."AA's"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2019 04:55PM by Des D.