Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My other addiction!

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My other addiction!
February 02, 2019 09:09PM
Me and the son in law...FISHING
Re: My other addiction!
February 02, 2019 11:51PM
Yeah, pulling my gear out for this years fishing and picked up some plastic baits and jigs. Found some great fishing 5-10 minutes away.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
February 03, 2019 12:40AM
If you had to choose only one, fishing or detecting, which would it be?
February 03, 2019 03:48AM
Looking good Calabash.
My other addition is.....built this one. Been taking a detector break. Weather has been terrible anyways. Still reading here though.

My new little tack driver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2019 03:52AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 03, 2019 03:54AM
Maximus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you had to choose only one, fishing or detectin
> g, which would it be?

LOL If your having a bad day fishing, your thinking you should have gone detecting. Then if your having a bad day detecting, your thinking you should have gone fishing. Then you can also take your detector and fishing gear along at the same time and do both if one goes sour. Or plan on doing each half the day. At least when your doing either, your outdoors enjoying yourself amongst nature.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
My other addiction!
February 03, 2019 05:42AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Looking good Calabash.
> My other addition is.....built this one. Been tak
> ing a detector break. Weather has been terrible a
> nyways. Still reading here though.
>
> My new little tack driver.
>

TNSHARPSHOOTER Likes rifles? Go figure. thumbs down

What caliber?

Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
February 03, 2019 07:38AM
You ever make it up to buggs island calabash?
February 03, 2019 02:21PM
Gonebeepin' Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Looking good Calabash.
> > My other addition is.....built this one. Been t
> ak
> > ing a detector break. Weather has been terrible
> a
> > nyways. Still reading here though.
> >
> > My new little tack driver.
> >
>
>
> TNSHARPSHOOTER Likes rifles? Go figure. thumbs down
>
>
> What caliber?
>
>
> Rich

A 22lr
Can be converted in short order to 17hmr. All I need is barrel and about 10 minutes time.
February 03, 2019 02:43PM
Hard to see...… but looks like a CZ. Stick with Standard Velocity 40-Gr Round Nose. That's what the rifling rate-of-twist is tuned/calibrated for.
February 03, 2019 02:54PM
Detecting but if I ran out sites fishing it would be....Maximus Wrote:
> If you had to choose only one, fishing or detectin
> g, which would it be?
February 03, 2019 03:23PM
CZs are good rimfires. I have a .17, .22 LR, and .22 Mag in the 455 series.

I got heavy into bass fishing a couple times in my life. This area is super popular with bass due to Lake Chickamauga's reputation for heavy weight Florida strain bass. All of the out of towners come to the Chick for big bass. Locals go to the next lakes up and down to avoid the crowds. Crappie fishin' is my thing now....the bad part is, is that the Chick grows some super slabs too...and don't get hardly the pressure as the bass. 2.5 to 3 lb crappie are common.
February 03, 2019 03:26PM
That is a big crappie!
February 04, 2019 02:43PM
Daniel, Those Crappie sound like they are coming out of Proctor Lake in Texas. Been working on the wife for a little Crappie fishing trip around President's day weekend. Wait and see what the weather brings and how the little woman is feeling.

I was severely hooked on Bass fishing for a very long time. Now that I live in trout country I've replaced Bass fishing with metal detecting. Trout fishing just isn't the same.

HH
Mike
February 04, 2019 02:57PM
Pedlar mills Wrote:
> You ever make it up to buggs island calabash?

Never been there.
February 04, 2019 03:37PM
Thought about going back to bass fishing but from the boat would be looking at the land wondering what I could find..
February 04, 2019 04:50PM
I take my AT and a couple rods when I travel/camp. Got to cover it all. Besides, nothing like fresh fish cooking on a open fire.
February 04, 2019 07:09PM
Those crappie are something else. Like I say, everyone comes here to try for the big bass. A good friend of mine caught a 10.02 lb largemouth yesterday on Chickamauga and she was a nice one. Jan-March are when they catch the big Largemouths. The crappie are just over shadowed by the bass, which is just fine for me. The first 3 lb'er I ever caught was with my dad when we were first trying to learn Chickamauga for bass. We thought the best way to do it was to cover a lot of water, and we were doing it via trolling crankbaits in the fall. I had on a Norman DD14 crankbait....same size body as the DD22 but with a shorter bill. In other words...a big ole bait. I saw a school of fish on the sonar in this underwater road bed we were following and it wasn't long after, I felt a thump and my rod bent down. To my surprise, up to the top came a big flat white belly. GET DA NET!! Big ole white crappie. We went back thru that school a few more times and ended up putting two limits of crappie in the boat to take home, from that school and a couple others we found along the same road bed. All by pulling those big crankbaits. They didn't want the small ones. We stumbled onto the crappie world of Chickamauga and a new to us tactic for them...trolling crankbaits. The minnow and bobber guys think we are crazy but we consistently catch the bigger crappie while they are struggling to catch the fish that are barely keepers. We had some so big and broad that they wouldn't even fit in those plastic molded crappie length checkers. But I like sitting over a 15-20 foot brush pile and droppin' a jig straight up and down too.

I shot a national pro am archery shoot one time with a guy that was a crappie guide on lake Sardis and Grenada, MS. We hit it off when he found out I liked crappie fishing and my gosh you should have seen the pictures of monster crappie he had on his phone from clients. He and I were gonna get together for a fishing trip but he tragically had a heart attack at a very young age and passed away.
February 04, 2019 07:30PM
I was at Bluewater lake last summer and thought I would try to catch me a Tiger-muskie. Well, long story short I didn't. In fact I'm standing there on a rock at the edge of the lake looking at all the fry and minnows and crawfish in the water around me....looked like living soup.....and I'm thinking why in the world would something bit the little hard piece of plastic I'm throwing out there?

Talked the the local guy at the bait shop and told him what I was thinking, and he said "you know Tigermuskie can eat stuff up to half their body length". I'm standing there looking at him while I process that bit of information. A keeper Tigermuskie has to be a minimum of 40 inches long. He smiled when he saw the light come on and I looked at his lure selection on the wall. He said, yeah, not many people fish with 16 to 20 inch lures" When I mentioned he didn't sell any either he just smiled some more.

I'm going back this year a little better prepared.

HH
Mike
February 04, 2019 11:13PM
Put my rods up in 2010 when I picked up a MD at a pawn shop. Tesoro Silver UMax for 50 dollars. Then later sold both boats only to move to the coast and get another boat. So now I play at both. Give me a Redfish any day over most anything that swims in the skinny water.