Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

AT GOLD GOOD IN IRON?? COMPARED TO WHAT?

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: AT GOLD GOOD IN IRON?? COMPARED TO WHAT?
February 06, 2019 06:22AM
Also no dog in this fight but... my Tesoros have found coins in small area sites that I'd previously pounded with my CTX. Does this "prove" that something like a Tejon is better than a CTX? Hardly! Just that it may be a better choice for *me*.

Almost all manufacturers make good machines these days. But a particular brand may or may not resonate with you. So folks should try a few and see which one they feel happiest swinging. Don't worry about what someone else claims is best.

-Ken
February 06, 2019 10:40AM
calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah those guys are super heroes and are the only
> ones who know how to find relics....give me a brea
> k...they are paid shills for garrett. There are s
> ome serious relic hunters on this forum who have b
> een at this a long time . How many of them are swi
> nging AT s ? WONDER WHY THEIR NOT? BTW I like the
> Hoover boys videos....

I never said they were the only ones that know how to find relics. I said they are happy with what they swing and don't worry about the opinion of others. I never said they were super heros. I said hunting behind them for a full day would kick your a$$. I never bothered to find out who swings what on This forum. I don't care. If they are happy with what they swing that is great. If they have questions I can answer I will try to answer them. If I have questions I will ask. That is why I am here.
February 06, 2019 11:42AM
As I have said in the past, American detector manufacturers are doomed. They do little R&D and hope you'll continue to buy their machines on brand loyalty. I am happy to have a Deus, Minelab and Nokta as my go to machines.
February 06, 2019 12:24PM
Amen to that Virginia Digger.

I showed a garrett detector that lacks the recovery speed to be a true (great) iron hunting machine.. Then all the Captain Garrett rescue squad shows up. Not one common sense point has been made by them about the recovery speed test and how that would affect the machine in hunting relics in iron. The ole personal attacks as usual and the normal blah blah bull crap. It is a common sense thing , I showed a detector that would not hit a target and 3 others that would with ease. Which one you want to carry to the iron? One thing I have learned through all the comparison test I have done is this most just regurgitate what they have been told by the so called higher ups and never really learn anything for themselves!

The machine stinks in iron contrary to all the garrett faithful's belief. COGNITIVE DISSONANCE COGNITIVE DISSONANCE COGNITIVE DISSONANCE COGNITIVE DISSONANCE

That is what is going on here, I see it on all the forums when it comes to the BRAND loyal love affair people. The more you show them and it upsets their belief system about their machine the MORE they to disprove what your saying. In this case they cant because it is true. I also ran it to that a lot when I debated with some religious cult members some years back. Strange psychological thing that happens in humans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 12:26PM by calabash digger.
February 06, 2019 01:35PM
((( I'm surprised that no one has 'bumped' the Garrett AT Pro field-test thread! )))
February 06, 2019 04:31PM
A lot of folks here complaining about Calabash's video don't realize they are feeding the beast.

YouTube is all about getting the views. You watch the video, you feed the beast.

Getting passions aroused leads to views. That's why sex sells and controversy does too.

Calabash has some skills for sure, but he lost all credibility for me with the only video of his I ever watched, the one where he took a defective (preset ground balance probably set way too positive on a fixed gb detector) Cibola and used that as an excuse to bash a whole line of detectors. No dog in that fight, I don't own a Tesoro anymore. But I sure never had one that wouldn't detect a quarter on top of the ground.

I won't question Calabash's detecting ability. He appears to have become more skilled than most in the relatively short time he's been detecting. But God forbid anyone should think he isn't all knowing. His massive ego was up front in that video where he dismissed long time Tesoro users who say they can tell a lot from the nuances of just one tone, implying it couldn't be true because he sure couldn't.

I'm not familiar with the AT Gold, but I'm pretty sure I can safely assume it fared poorly in this video. Wonder if it was defective too? Did he have it set up correctly? I can't begin to say because I didn't feed the beast.

I will say this about the AT Pro: it does very well in iron with the 5X8 coil. The Pro's great blendy, descriptive audio will pull the non-ferrous out of the heavy ferrous. But you do need to go slow. Recovery speed is fair but not lightning fast like some other detectors. Whip an AT Pro like you would a F75 and you will miss a lot.

If you want to talk about the one glaring AT Pro weakness, it would be the depth. About 1.5"- 2" less on a small coin than state of the art.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 04:33PM by marcomo.
February 06, 2019 04:34PM
I bumped it for you, Tom. Start on page 4.
Mike

By the way...I like my AT Pro. It does what I want it to do.

HH
Mike
February 06, 2019 04:46PM
AT PRO does good in iron with a 5x8 compared to what?? A ace 250????eye rolling smiley
February 06, 2019 04:47PM
Mike if makes you happy good for you but there are some out there who want the best for what they do. If your not one of them then no worries...
February 06, 2019 05:01PM
marcomo Wrote:
> A lot of folks here complaining about Calabash's v
> ideo don't realize they are feeding the beast.
>
> YouTube is all about getting the views. You watch
> the video, you feed the beast.
>
> Getting passions aroused leads to views. That's wh
> y sex sells and controversy does too.
>
> Calabash has some skills for sure, but he lost all
> credibility for me with the only video of his I ev
> er watched, the one where he took a defective (pre
> set ground balance probably set way too positive o
> n a fixed gb detector) Cibola and used that as an
> excuse to bash a whole line of detectors. No dog i
> n that fight, I don't own a Tesoro anymore. But I
> sure never had one that wouldn't detect a quarter
> on top of the ground.
>
> I won't question Calabash's detecting ability. He
> appears to have become more skilled than most in t
> he relatively short time he's been detecting. But
> God forbid anyone should think he isn't all knowin
> g. His massive ego was up front in that video wher
> e he dismissed long time Tesoro users who say they
> can tell a lot from the nuances of just one tone,
> implying it couldn't be true because he sure could
> n't.
>
> I'm not familiar with the AT Gold, but I'm pretty
> sure I can safely assume it fared poorly in this v
> ideo. Wonder if it was defective too? Did he have
> it set up correctly? I can't begin to say because
> I didn't feed the beast.
>
> I will say this about the AT Pro: it does very wel
> l in iron with the 5X8 coil. The Pro's great blend
> y, descriptive audio will pull the non-ferrous out
> of the heavy ferrous. But you do need to go slow.
> Recovery speed is fair but not lightning fast like
> some other detectors. Whip an AT Pro like you woul
> d a F75 and you will miss a lot.
>
> If you want to talk about the one glaring AT Pro w
> eakness, it would be the depth. About 1.5"- 2" les
> s on a small coin than state of the art.

That's funny the man has a crystal ball. If you had watched the video you have seen the AT might have few more problems than you realize. Most just regurgitate what they heard …..that blendy descriptive audio statement is almost word for word the one I hear quoted all the time. Is it true??? That is the million dollar question ! I think it is a bunch of marketing BS. Good in iron compared to what ???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 05:05PM by calabash digger.
February 06, 2019 05:51PM
So if I do a 'comparison video' of an AT Pro against a stick, whats the difference ?

The AT Pro would be the best in that comparison.

Calabash stating 'compared to what' pretty much sums up the entire discussion on metal detector comparisons.

Before the advant of YouTube, there were metal detector reviews where hunters would post their likes or dislikes. You could read through them and try to make an opinion on what units were better than others. Of course you never knew the motive, the experience level of the hunter, ground conditions, etc. Factor in price, features, etc. and the subjectiveness increases dramatically.

If the objective is to bash, make others look foolish, degrade, get views, subscribers, etc. then it could have some purpose.

Use what works for you and what you are happy with since you are the most important person when it comes to the hunt.

But fair warning...don't use a stick.
February 06, 2019 06:07PM
Calabash, Why are you not comparing/contrasting like detectors? Why are you comparing bananas to apples?

I personally would be better served if you were to compare/contrast the AT Pro to the AT Max or the AT Gold.

The biggest reason I didn't give the AT Max and the AT Gold more than a curious glance was because of their operating frequency and my EMI environment. I already know from past experience that the ATPro's 15 kHz is extremely stable in my environment as compared to the Gold/Max models. I like my AT Pro because 1) it is very stable in my high EMI environment, 2) the frequency is decent for my targets, 3) its waterproof on the cheap, 4) I can hunt it ultra slow when I need to, and 5) it doesn't false a lot in my minerals. That and I enjoy using it too.

One of the things I look for when reviewing equipment is stuff that can show me the feature set attributes, the audio, how targets respond, does it false in ground minerals, stuff like that. I don't really care about hearing opinions and I personally place no stock at all in nail board tests.

Happy Hunting to you,
Mike
February 06, 2019 06:25PM
Of course. If Calabash doesn't perceive the AT to have great audio than no one else possibly can either. If anyone says otherwise they must be regurgitating the Garrett kool-aid.

I will say the great audio I refer to is the AT Pro. I've never used the Gold (or Max) so I can't speak with any authority there. At the risk of regurgitatinggrinning smiley, others whose opinion I respect say the Gold and Max audios are not the same as the Pro audio. At the risk of regurgitating your anti-Garrett sentimenteye rolling smiley, my powers of observation tell me that the majority of users on this forum and others who have tried the newer AT Max have not been particularly impressed. I've seen a lot of initial "I really liking it, but" followed by being put up for sale within a couple months.

It's ironic, Calabash. You and Garrett have more in common than you realize. You are both very, very good at marketing.

I'm holding firm so far on not feeding the beast but you are piquing my curiosity about that video...
February 06, 2019 08:17PM
Ok guys you did it I am gonna change my ways.....NOT. All I am saying this. IMO from what I have seen on the internet the AT series performance is over stated and over rated by the garrett faithful . Compare it to other machines and shows it weakness very quickly. It you like the audio on the pro by all means keep swinging it. Are there machines with a more intelligent audio out there? Of course there is....3 of them were in the video. BTW I learned to relic hunt with the AT PRO and logged many hours on it so its not like I dont know that machine....
February 06, 2019 08:24PM
calabash digger Wrote:
.. Then all the Captain Garrett rescue squad shows up.

That's some funny s hit right there smiling bouncing smiley

I had an ATP, it was an OK machine. It was better at unmasking than my F75, had better audio in pro mode, but the F75 was far deeper.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 08:28PM by Cal_cobra.
February 06, 2019 09:10PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Ok guys you did it I am gonna change my ways.....N
> OT. All I am saying this. IMO from what I have see
> n on the internet the AT series performance is ove
> r stated and over rated by the garrett faithful .
> Compare it to other machines and shows it weakness
> very quickly. It you like the audio on the pro by
> all means keep swinging it. Are there machines wit
> h a more intelligent audio out there? Of course th
> ere is....3 of them were in the video. BTW I learn
> ed to relic hunt with the AT PRO and logged many h
> ours on it so its not like I dont know that machin
> e....

Again Calabash. Why in the world does it matter so much to you what detectors other folks use or how they feel about them. What is your ultimate goal? I'm still hunting with a T2 and like it. But ya reckon you could take the time with your blessings and tell me by all means keep swinging it? I'm getting a little insecure.
February 06, 2019 09:43PM
I have no dog in this fight......
February 06, 2019 10:31PM
By all means keep swinging it Bill!!
February 06, 2019 10:41PM
I believe it was Mr. Southern that complimented the audio of the AT Pro in one of his posts. He seems to have no loyalty to a brand. He gives his opinion on more detectors than most of us will ever own.
February 06, 2019 10:56PM
Yeah he might have but I dont see him relic hunting with one... wonder why?
February 06, 2019 11:16PM
He switches detectors quite often. When he is silent on the forums he is usually testing. I truly believe audio is a matter of personal preference. No detector in the history of the internet has had more audio posts than the E Trac and the silver tone. Personally I never cared one way or the other. I was digging the target regardless.
February 07, 2019 12:27AM
goodmore Wrote:
> He switches detectors quite often. When he is sile
> nt on the forums he is usually testing. I truly be
> lieve audio is a matter of personal preference. No
> detector in the history of the internet has had mo
> re audio posts than the E Trac and the silver tone
> . Personally I never cared one way or the other. I
> was digging the target regardless.

Actually the explorers had the best tone as far as silver.. Not the Etrac.
Folks when Etrac was released,,they were asking how did Etrac sound tone wise as far as silver goes when comparing to older explorer models.

The video above tone is not the issue really.
You can’t dig what you can’t hear.
I guess you could actually.
A blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.
But acorns give off scent.
I can’t smell silver, copper, zinc, gold.
Wish I could.
Would have saved me bunches. Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2019 12:30AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 07, 2019 12:31AM
I second that the explorer my buddy loaned me sounded good on silver.....
February 07, 2019 12:48AM
Goes to show.

Deus platform about as old as At Pro.
Deus right now. Still ranks high for hunting in iron.
Granted some version upgrades.
Still a killer in iron though.

Here is the question maybe folks should be asking.

Imagine you found a couple gold coins or maybe 4 or 5 in an area with At Pro of At Gold. This place where gold coins found loaded with iron.
So, would anyone (who honestly knows how Deus operate) and who knows how to run one, would it be a good idea to get a Deus even if you borrow and hunt the daylights out of the site seacrhing for more gold coins. Assuming the site, you can’t rent a bulldozer or backhoe and wreck the site scooping off inches of soil at a time.

I know what I would do!!!
And Deus isn’t the only one either. At series low on my totem pole though.
Yeah I can take loads of cheaper detectors to virgin sites and make nice finds. Will I or anyone else using get all possible than can be detected with today’s offerings?
If you think so, you need to spend more time on this forum right here reading.

The Hoover boys are mere advertisement mainly. Sorry this is truly the way I see it.
Never met a single one of them either.

Wonder how many nice finds underwater (masked by ferrous) have been passed by with At series? EQX might have nailed or even Anfibio multi or multi Kruzer.
You don’t know what you are missing.
Until you try some other detectors.
You still DON’T get all no matter what.
Can be hair splitting advantage that gives the subtle clue of nonferrous find existence .

Still like the odds moreso with Deus and EQX.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2019 01:05AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 07, 2019 02:26AM
Join us this week for the next episode of.......
Which old detector will Cabbage Patch Digger say sucks?????
Extremely bored folks will be sitting on the edge of their lawn chairs!!!!
February 07, 2019 03:08AM
I was sitting on my lawn chair looking at the classifieds and saw you sold the beast....what you swinging this week a at gold....grinning smiley
February 07, 2019 05:42AM
I swing a AT-Gold and a Nox 800. I like both of them I'm confident when swinging either one. The AT-Gold has found me a ton of relics and coins in iron infested sites. The Nox 800 has yet to find me a silver coin but I'm betting I haven't got my coil over one yet. By the way I've used all 3 AT machines and the Gold is my favorite of the 3. I like its audio better and it seems to lock onto targets better.
February 07, 2019 10:31AM
I have never heard the Hoover Boys criticize a hunter for swinging another brand. Yeah I guess you could say they are loyal to Garrett. Considering pictures on the detector boxes. But as I stated already....they seem quite happy with their choice.They film their hunts and let the results speak for themselves. Just hunters having fun and working hard. That is good enough for most of us. Garrett got into the YouTube thing by forming relations with actual hunters. I remember the Noggin being driven by his dad to hunt. These people are not only Garrett swingers but some of pioneers of hunters recording their hunts. Now everyone seems to do it. Trouble is they just are not as good at doing it.
February 07, 2019 11:12AM
calabash digger Wrote:
> AT PRO does good in iron with a 5x8 compared to wh
> at?? A ace 250????eye rolling smiley

I like the color_All Black & White_Had a TV like that once & that was hard to let go_ smoking smiley

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
February 07, 2019 12:32PM
88junior Wrote:
> I swing a AT-Gold and a Nox 800. I like both of th
> em I'm confident when swinging either one. The AT-
> Gold has found me a ton of relics and coins in iro
> n infested sites. The Nox 800 has yet to find me a
> silver coin but I'm betting I haven't got my coil
> over one yet. By the way I've used all 3 AT machin
> es and the Gold is my favorite of the 3. I like it
> s audio better and it seems to lock onto targets b
> etter.

On a serious note you need to learn that 800 and take it back to those iron loaded relics sites you beat with the AT GOLD and get all the finds you left in the ground...…..No comparision in the unmasking department. Set the Equinox on 7 recovery in thick iron and let it rip...If you need a relic program just let me know.....

You can BE CONFIDENT in swinging a stick but that dont really mean crap other than you will swing it BECAUSE you have faith in it. A lot of people seem to run on feelings about a detector in this hobby....I feel like my machine is....blah blah and so on ….
What about the FACTS?

All you long time DETECTING EXPERTS on here go look at the gold and other machines on the test in the second half of the video and tell me the FACTS...……. of what you see and how that would affect the machines hunting in thick iron sites....???? Facts......NOT FEELINGS..... there is a difference.

What is really sad for some is they finally realize their beloved is not near as good as they thought and figure out they been leaving a lot of stuff in the ground over the years that other detectors would have found with ease....

As for the Hoover Boys they are paid advertisers for garrett and of course they are going to find stuff. In reality I hope more people in my area follow them with the AT SERIES because that will mean there will be plenty of finds left on the iron loaded relic sites I have not found yet.....