Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

AT GOLD GOOD IN IRON?? COMPARED TO WHAT?

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
AT GOLD GOOD IN IRON?? COMPARED TO WHAT?
February 04, 2019 01:50PM
I always hear how good the AT GOLD is in iron wearing the 5x8 coil. My question is compared to what? I put it up against 3 other detectors in this simple test that is very telling of what is going on...AT GOLD COMPARED...
Re: AT GOLD GOOD IN IRON?? COMPARED TO WHAT?
February 04, 2019 03:17PM
But,but what about Ringy and his idiot sidekick??
February 04, 2019 03:36PM
What about the hoover boys and their AT carrying group???? I would love to hunt a iron loaded site behind those guys …..and FILM IT!!! Might get me a million subs then....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2019 03:37PM by calabash digger.
February 04, 2019 07:32PM
Agreed.

I've not been a fan of any of the AT Series. Have tried all 3 of them. IMO and this is just me speaking my opinion and not to be confused with hard cold facts...IMO, the reason Garretts are so popular among the YouTube channels of say, The Hoover Boys, AquaChigger, Nugget Noggin, Relic Recoverist, She Detector....the list goes on and on...is because Garrett jumped into a advertising opportunity and gives more freebie machines to use on YouTube metal detecting channels than all the other manufacturers do. It's great advertising for Garrett. AquaChigger used to be my favorite way back in the day but I think he has tapped out his relic sites and the last several years he just hasn't produced any great videos.

You have got me wanting a Deus or ORX machine now though. One of my buddies has a Deus he priced me that comes with the WS4 phones, remote, and a 9 inch LF coil. He was asking $500 for it but said sometimes one of the remote buttons sticks and has been used pretty good. Is that a decent price for one with just the LF coil or should I go for a newer one in better shape, or an ORX with a HF or X35 coil?
February 04, 2019 07:35PM
I think the Hoover boys mostly hunt virgin sites, or new permissions. At least that's the way it seems. That plus good sites make the atmax look like a super hero. I used a atgold for about a yr. Who knew it was so bad, prob why I had such good luck with my Xp deus on the same sites. U would think that 5x8 would be alot better, that nail is like 2 coil widths away wow!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 05:30PM by Kickindirt.
February 04, 2019 07:58PM
Daniel- “He was asking $500 for it but said sometimes one of the remote buttons sticks and has been used pretty good. Is that a decent price for one with just the LF coil or should I go for a newer one in better shape, or an ORX with a HF or X35 coil?”

I sold my DEUS on eBay last fall w all the accessories, backphones and Chefphones. Excellent condition. That was a bidding auction too, went for around $600.

I even listed it on here, no interest, I was surprised

I like the GMP better than the DEUS

Daniel have you tried the GMP? You can get one on eBay for $400-$500, when one pops up.

Aaron
February 04, 2019 08:18PM
You can have the remote redone and it will look new... I think it is around a 100 at the service center to have it redone.
February 04, 2019 10:11PM
$500 I would jump on that deal. Especially if it has any warranty left.
February 04, 2019 10:33PM
Kickindirt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $500 I would jump on that deal. Especially if it h
> as any warranty left.

Oops, sorry I was asking $750. here, got almost that on eBay.

This was the DEUS Tom did the field test with, no warranty.

Excellent condition, I take good care of my stuff!

Aaron
February 04, 2019 11:36PM
Calabash is right.

Detector Electronics Corp. I believe is one of the Deus service centers that I used (it may be the only one...check the Deus site) and did an excellent job on my remote when the LCD went bad.

Reasonably priced and came back like new.
February 05, 2019 12:40AM
Hey Calabash, Would it have helped the Garrett to go at the target from different directions to get a better result , or was it just as bad from other directions??
February 05, 2019 12:58AM
The point of the test was to show how its recovery speed is lacking. Notice how far the iron tone kept going after it pass over the nail. It passed the nail and you still heard the nail a foot later on a slow sweep....
February 05, 2019 01:39AM
calabash digger Wrote:
> What about the hoover boys and their AT carrying
> group???? I would love to hunt a iron loaded site
> behind those guys …..and FILM IT!!! Might get me a
> million subs then....

Cal, you might want to check your disc. setting. That jealous wanna be you tube star is high toning.
February 05, 2019 01:56AM
I hear ya! that's funny....
February 05, 2019 02:33AM
Great video. Now everybody is going to want to dump there AT's.

My detectors:
Equinox 800
Lobo ST modded
XP ORX
February 05, 2019 03:11AM
I got a guy over on tnet trying to tell everyone how GREAT they are. hot smiley I understand people really dont know what they dont know.
February 05, 2019 04:27AM
The AT series detectors are souped-up ace 250's
February 05, 2019 08:44AM
You guys can think and say what you want about the A T (in my case) Pro, but put a few hundred hours on one such as I have over the years and you might think a little differently. Oh, I know, it won't stack up against some of latest and greatest detectors out now on some comparison tests, but you want to know something funny, the darn thing still finds treasure, and a lot of it. HH jim tn
February 05, 2019 01:46PM
I started with a at pro and logged many hours on one. You know what I found out after I upgraded to a Deus ? I found out I had been swinging a dog and thinking I was swinging a pearl.... A lot are in that delusion when it comes to those detectors and how they perform. I will give garrett this they know how to market a detector......They should have put that money in research and development and built a better performing detector .

I hunted a early 1800s iron loaded site with the AT PRO I had very hard. Went back when I got the Deus and it was like it had never been hunted... true story.
February 05, 2019 02:56PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> I got a guy over on tnet trying to tell everyone h
> ow GREAT they are. hot smiley I understand people really d
> ont know what they dont know.

Stupid post. Total waste of our time... why you let these guys get under your skin for? so its slower then the Deus bfd. we all already knew that....why fault another guys detector? you take pleasure in that? what do you say when a guy with an AT gold finds more and better stuff then you do? Oh and BTW if you had the courage to open up your youtube channel to comments I wouldn't have to respond to your lame topic here. Now go find a button...

strick
February 05, 2019 03:03PM
Cal, I enjoy hunting behind myself regardless of what detector(s) I had used previously on the spot or using that outing. I am pretty confident I will make a couple of good finds.You know that old adage, "no site is ever hunted out." You find things hunting behind yourself, I do, everyone does. Does that make one detector that much superior to another? I happen to think not. I never implied the A T's were better then any one detector. I did imply I felt they were darn good, though. And still do! HH jim tn
February 05, 2019 10:09PM
Jim, I was just trying to imply I didnt think they were worth 2 hoots for hunting relics in iron. To each his own...
February 05, 2019 10:11PM
strick Wrote:
> calabash digger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I got a guy over on tnet trying to tell everyone
> h
> > ow GREAT they are. hot smiley I understand people really
> d
> > ont know what they dont know.
>
> Stupid post. Total waste of our time... why you le
> t these guys get under your skin for? so its slowe
> r then the Deus bfd. we all already knew that....w
> hy fault another guys detector? you take pleasure
> in that? what do you say when a guy with an AT go
> ld finds more and better stuff then you do? Oh and
> BTW if you had the courage to open up your youtube
> channel to comments I wouldn't have to respond to
> your lame topic here. Now go find a button...
>
> strick

It is a piece of plastic man get over it!! All these people HAVING love affairs with a detector is kind of scary …...
February 05, 2019 10:46PM
Lol Pot calling the kettle black!
February 06, 2019 01:00AM
Research and hard work. That is what I see in the Hoover Boys videos. Two things most hunters tend to not bother with. I think hunting behind them for a full day would kick your a$$.

I don't think they care one bit what they leave in the ground. They make great finds and have fun.

I have seen an Impact review in one of their videos. Brad used an F75 for quite a long time. One other hunter I forget his name had an awesome day with an Equinox a few weeks back. But they continue to swing the AT series. Seems to me they are quite intelligent and knowledgeable about the hobby. I guess they just swing what they want to swing and don't worry about the opinions of others. Good for them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 01:08AM by goodmore.
February 06, 2019 01:52AM
Yeah those guys are super heroes and are the only ones who know how to find relics....give me a break...they are paid shills for garrett. There are some serious relic hunters on this forum who have been at this a long time . How many of them are swinging AT s ? WONDER WHY THEIR NOT? BTW I like the Hoover boys videos....
February 06, 2019 02:31AM
Why do you spend so much time and energy trying to prove how bad some detectors are. What do you gain by that. I can't quite figure it out. For me anyway, it kinda nulls out the good you're trying to do. A little of it is helpful if done in good taste.but man you're way over the top. If you're goal is to gain the same you tube status as the Hoover Boys you might wanna consider a new game plan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 02:58AM by Bill long.
February 06, 2019 02:44AM
Bill long Wrote:
> Why do you spend so much time and energy trying t
> o prove how bad some detectors are. What do you ga
> in by that. I can't quite figure it out. For me an
> yway, it kinda nulls out the good you're trying to
> do. A little of it is helpful if done in good tast
> e.but man you're way over the top.

Agreed. Especially with the “Why you shouldn’t buy a Tesoro video”.

The company is already on the way out, was it necessary to kick them when their already down?

You don’t like beep and dig, that’s your business Sir, tons of hunters do and have the goods to prove it.

Aaron
February 06, 2019 04:08AM
Don’t got a dog in the hunt but here’s what chaps my own personal ass...when someone takes a piece of CRAP to a NEW site,finds some stuff,and claims their machine is as good as my CTX which hunts nothing but sites that are tore up from the floor up...empty!...done!....finito!....cashed the &#$@ out! Cal feels the same! To even SUGGEST an AT-ANYTHING is on par with a Deus,CTX,etc is INSULTING....and I see and hear people do it on a regular basis. There is a certain person over there who cannot get enough of his Garret’s,and that is absolutely fine! Just don’t be an onion and suggest it’s a “top dog” or “hard to beat” or “the best in the business”....because there’s going to be some resistance from those who just f*ckin’ know better. Not everyone should own a true “high end” machine,nor does everyone need one. But at least have the googlygoohas to admit the difference. And no,spellcheck didn’t correct that.
February 06, 2019 06:10AM
Garrett was wise to jump on the youtube game early. Youtube is where you go to learn anything new nowadays, and all the popular channels seem to have AT series machines being pushed on them. That being said, AT pro and Gold are perfectly fine machines for a lot of sites, are easy to use, and they are waterproof which is a big bonus. I got my first At pro used for about $300 not to long after they came out and used it for water hunting in the summer while my machines I paid several times more for couldn't play. Only recently has the AT series niche of price, performance in a waterproof package been surpassed.