Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

AT GOLD GOOD IN IRON?? COMPARED TO WHAT?

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: AT GOLD GOOD IN IRON?? COMPARED TO WHAT?
February 08, 2019 12:47PM
Playground rules state; no negative comments about... or... putting down... or... bashing Mothers. Same rule applies to the Fisher F-75.
If above rules are broken; All hell may/will break loose and common courtesy will be out the window.

Kidding aside, I'd like to watch one of calabash's comparison videos where he pulls a Jimi Hendrix on the unit he doesn't like.
February 08, 2019 05:45PM
jim tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Daniel,
>
> I don't ever recall bashing someone else's detecto
> r, but if I did, I sincerely apologize to that per
> son. Giving one's opinion is one thing and thats d
> ifferent then down right bashing, at least IMHO. A
> nyway, it's been a fun engagement and now I am goi
> ng to stick my tail between my legs and take my sn
> ow flakish attitude out of here.
>
> Oh, but before I do, sharpshooter, I still do have
> the first detector I started with back in the earl
> y 70's and I can further state I have up-graded my
> equipment a couple of times since. Alas, though, I
> still haven't found that game changer yet, but it
> sure seems you have. You are a lucky swinger. HH j
> im tn

Whenever I see one of Jim's post anywhere the name "Gentleman Jim" ALWAYS comes to mind--Jim has a gentle nature about him that soothes the soul,plus always some good info about what he is doing,has found,and how HIS equipment is performing for him--I have never seen him "bash" anyone or their equipment. So Gentleman Jim please don't tuck your tail---just continue to be yourself.
February 08, 2019 06:03PM
IDXMonster Wrote:
> “All of them hit coins 8-10””.....this is the kind
> of absolute and complete NONSENSE that feeds this
> self perpetuating monster. SHOW ME where you find
> the coin IN THE WILD,you sweep the target and CONF
> IRM that YES!....you think with a great deal of ce
> rtainty that it’s a COIN,you dig the target carefu
> lly to show the actual depth it came from with an
> actual graduated measuring device....
> Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidenc
> e! SHOW ME the group of machines mentioned each fi
> nding one of these coins you describe. Finding an
> 8-10” TARGET with some kind of indication of repea
> tability that turns out to BE a coin is WAY WAY WA
> Y different than finding an 8-10” COIN and knowing
> with a great deal of certainty that it’s a coin to
> begin with. I really don’t believe that the majori
> ty of people hunting today or making videos have A
> NY idea of this notion. 99% of videos out there ha
> ve absolutely NO content which ACTUALLY HELPS some
> one to become a better hunter or make an informed
> decision about machine choice. To simply state tha
> t your machine “X” can do something that most mach
> ines CANNOT is just old hat...it’s just talk. SHOW
> ME. I’m not attacking here HunterGT! But I would l
> ike you to back the claim.

Go to 4:45 of this video....and then again to 8:45 marker. [www.youtube.com]

5x10 coil.....not the 11DD. I show 7-inch target with ID...pin-point with the T2....dig a silver dime and a penny....put the Tek-Point in the hole (with graduated markers) to show 7 inches of depth.

No...I didn't dig the plug live all carefully like you mention....but it is an obvious 7 inch silver dime and penny in each clip respectively...nobody has ever called me a fake.

Are you telling me with the 11DD stock coil (because let's be clear the 5x10 is smaller and not as deep)....it would not go to 8-10 inches and give me those same diggable signals? Because my T2 has before...my Patriot has...and my G2+ will crush an 8 inch nickel...Gamma will hit an 8-9 inch quarter no problem.

100% ID and 100% guarantee it will be a coin? Of course not...WHO IN THE HELL would think such a ridiculous thing? Where in the hell did you get that from my post...and why would you think that?

So no I don't take it as an attack....but I sure as hell do not understand what your point is and why you are babbling on about 100% certainty and 100% ID and all that. We have some nonsense here for sure...but it's not my post. It is how you read between lines not there.

When Calabash "hit" those 14 inch targets in his test bed....is he saying that he is 100% sure they are a coin? No...the ID is all over the place and he goes by tone alone. He does it for practice as well. Therefore...when he comes across said scratchy signal again in the wild....he can take a leap of faith it will be a good target and improve his chances for success. Simple stuff really. Same thing I did with those 7 inch targets...took a solid guess that the detector was correct in tone and ID.....dug the target.....ended up being good. Detecting 101 really...

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 06:05PM by TheHunterGT.
February 08, 2019 06:23PM
Question:

If you are hunting in an area that has the potential for old coins and relics, and your unit hits a target that is 12 inches deep or more, are you going to pass up digging just because your unit is 'telling you' it may be iron ?

I know...depth readings can be inaccurate. But if you are confident of the depth and possible size, are you going to rely on the unit alone to determine what that deep target is ?

How many of us go for the gusto no matter what that unit may think it is, if it's deep and in an area known to produce deep, good targets ?
February 08, 2019 06:25PM
Are you a different "jim tn" than the one with the same name at Findmall? If so than I am sorry for getting you two mixed up. If not, then yes there has been a few posts where some jabs and kicks were thrown in the past towards other people's detectors. Particularly over there on their Fisher forum. Might not have been going for a knockout blow, but dished out a few low blow shots nonethess.

None of that bothers me in the least if somebody wants to bash a machine, point out weak points, etc. I am not attached to inanimate objects; metal detectors are no exception. I just don't understand the emotional attachment and why people get upset if others don't share the same opinion towards a detector; good or bad. In fact, if I had my rathers, I'd rather other people NOT like what I like and use. As long as it works for me, that's all that matters.
February 08, 2019 06:38PM
"none of that bothers me in the least if somebody wants to bash a machine, point out weak points,etc"-------UNless it happens to be Gentleman Jim.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 06:39PM by doc holiday.
February 08, 2019 07:29PM
I'm one and the same, Daniel, that has posted a lot on Find Mall over the year's and stand by my statement that I have never out right bashed anthers detector. Yes, I am not adversed to throwing a jab now and then to stir the pot a bit, but right now in this day and time I don't know of a detector that I would call a piece of crap. And wouldn't call it so if I did. Now, I am going to clean up my F 75, A T Pro and Omega, and have them ready for my next hunts. Have a great weekend and hope you dig something good if you get out. HH jim tn
February 08, 2019 07:35PM
therover61 Wrote:
> Question:
>
> If you are hunting in an area that has the potenti
> al for old coins and relics, and your unit hits a
> target that is 12 inches deep or more, are you goi
> ng to pass up digging just because your unit is 't
> elling you' it may be iron ?
>
> I know...depth readings can be inaccurate. But if
> you are confident of the depth and possible size,
> are you going to rely on the unit alone to determi
> ne what that deep target is ?
>
> How many of us go for the gusto no matter what tha
> t unit may think it is, if it's deep and in an are
> a known to produce deep, good targets ?

Depends I guess. I have hit relic sites that sound like machine gun fire from 1-2 inch nails...all the way down to 12 inches+. Files....hammers...axe heads mixed all around with it.

It's like the people that lived there stood outside as a family and just tossed random nails and tools everywhere...

Need a screen sifter box more than a metal detector. So yeah....there are sites I have hit where I would 100% pass up a 12 inch signal if it was iron tone. I just simply do not have the time to waste 1000 of hours on a site for 1 or 2 squawks.

I go for the percentages....then leave the rest for somebody more "dedicated" than I am. I mean hell...a person with bad OCD is dedicated. Touch the doorknob 15 times and hop on one foot before you can open it...that's dedication baby. I just don't have it like that. Sleep just fine knowing I have passed things others have found...because I do the same to them guaranteed. Nobody can find it all.

Go look at Calabash sweep a coil in some of his hunt videos....wide fast sweeps where he has INCHES of dirt in between sweeps. This is why somebody with a Bounty Hunter can follow and find stuff.

If you don't grid EVERY inch with multiple coils...on multiple machines...at multiple angles....somebody will find something you missed....no matter how good your detector is (or how good you think you are).

Just my opinion of course...to each their own.

February 08, 2019 08:07PM
TheHunterGT Wrote:

> Need a screen sifter box more than a metal detector.

I hear ya about that. Do you ever wish you had one on some new site you hit ?

I know there were times where I did. Then I went back and guess what...not much other than junk. More digging and sifting then finding good stuff. But non-metallic goodies do show up when sifting now and then.
February 08, 2019 08:41PM
therover61 Wrote:
Do you ever wish you had one
> on some new site you hit ?
>
> I know there were times where I did. Then I went b
> ack and guess what...not much other than junk. Mor
> e digging and sifting then finding good stuff. But
> non-metallic goodies do show up when sifting now a
> nd then.

I took a 5 gal bucket and my gold prospecting classifiers to an old homestead in Colorado....not as fast as a shaker box but did the trick here and there. Found some nice glass and porcelain with print. Never coins or anything I would consider a great keeper unfortunately.

I'd take it again though....as you never know what cool non-ferrous thing you can find doing it. Seen other people have great success sifting a site....so why not? Kids do that while I detect...win-win.

February 08, 2019 09:02PM
You'll have to excuse my lashing out. I have a really hard time with the politicially correctness of today's world. I feel like I am bombarded with it everywhere I turn. Can't say this...can't say that. People getting offended about every thing. People needing safe places from words? Come on. I liked those old timers who just bluntly spoke their mind. Everywhere I go, seems like people require you to tiptoe around. I tend to be like this...if I've already thought it, I might as well say it. People that are around me in every day life have learned to not ask my opinion on something unless they want the raw unfiltered truth.
February 08, 2019 09:48PM
I highly suspect, Daniel, you and I think a lot alike. HH jim tn
February 08, 2019 10:56PM
Daniel & Jim-----Y'all can tell me how great you think my little ole F-19 is, I won't get offended at all!!winking smiley (tryin to put a little humor in this)------Seriously--you're BOTH good guys & we're ALL in this great hobby together!thumbs down
February 08, 2019 11:06PM
F 19? Ah, now I get it. That's how you get from site to site.You fly! HH jim tn
February 08, 2019 11:14PM
Calabash, you have stated in the past that your reason for making videos is to show others honest comparisons so they know what detectors are most capable.

That's all very noble and altruistic, but it conflicts with what you said in a earlier post on this thread: "In reality I hope more people in my area follow them with the AT SERIES because that will mean there will be plenty of finds left on the iron loaded relic sites I have not found yet....."

No doubt you realize that some in your area will watch your videos and be influenced as to what to buy because of them. And yet you freely admit that you hope they use the detectors you consider inferior so they leave more for you to find.

So why do you make your videos?confused smiley
February 08, 2019 11:19PM
jim tn Wrote:
> F 19? Ah, now I get it. That's how you get from si
> te to site.You fly! HH jim tn

drinking smileyangry smiley Ah NOW you HAVE made me mad Jim!!!!!!!!------Wait ah minute---I think I'm over it now!!!!grinning smiley
February 09, 2019 01:02AM
This is turning into a Jerry Springer show. The AT gold is a good all around machine for a beginner/ intermediate user. I bought one for my wife for beach hunting and it did ok there. She even found a really nice gold /silver thimble (engraved) at a relic site with that machine. Then she used my CTX once at Pismo beach and said she was no longer interested in the AT Gold so I sold it several years ago. Being in love with a detector? yes I'll admit that I'm in love with my CTX, EQ 800, Deus, Gold Monster, TDI pro, GPZ 7000 and a couple others that have made the cut.

As far as taking the bait goes this is only my second bite on this waste of time thred.....some are on a feeding frenzy...but this is old rotten bait that has been discussed many times over and over on other forums and youtube so there was no need to do it in the first place other then to put down another guys metal detector..... who the OP probably don't even know. BTW I'm still subscribed to your youtube channel...some of the stuff is good quality comparisons. And I appreciate that. Go find a button.

strick
February 09, 2019 03:02AM
marcomo Wrote:
> Calabash, you have stated in the past that your re
> ason for making videos is to show others honest co
> mparisons so they know what detectors are most cap
> able.
>
> That's all very noble and altruistic, but it confl
> icts with what you said in a earlier post on this
> thread: "In reality I hope more people in my area
> follow them with the AT SERIES because that will m
> ean there will be plenty of finds left on the iron
> loaded relic sites I have not found yet....."
>
> No doubt you realize that some in your area will w
> atch your videos and be influenced as to what to b
> uy because of them. And yet you freely admit that
> you hope they use the detectors you consider infer
> ior so they leave more for you to find.
>
> So why do you make your videos?confused smiley

I've ask the same question several times and got no answer. So I've come to the conclusion that it's all about recognition and celebrity. But I think I really realized that from the start of his posts and videos. What a shame because he has a lot to offer to this hobby. Having people skills is not being politically incorrect. But the lack of it can surely cause issues when you are attempting to sell what ever it is he's trying to sell. Just give me more metal detector videos from folks like Keith Southern, Daniel Teags, Hunter GT, and a host of others, that
show me the attributes of a new detector, and even some of older ones, that's now available rather than show in his tests and opinion how much of a "DeadDog" yesterday's" detector is. But I guess ole cal is getting some of what he needs simply by this little post. But I can assure this is the last. For me he's just here,on other forums, and on youtude to gain notoriety as the top dog relic, hunter/metal detectorist and to gain as many subscribers as he can. That's all he's doing. He just trying to be on top. He's even stated on a video that he was a master of the machine he was using. No one, and I mean no one is a master at anything. Good, very good, absolutely excellent yes, but master, absolutely not. No one is a master at anything. A lot to offer some of us folks, yes he does. But his presentation and plain to see ego, self advancement desires on this forum, and others and you tube just, well, just gives a big iron tone that I'm tired of diggin'.
February 09, 2019 10:00AM
Bat Masterson was a master of the bat.
February 09, 2019 11:36AM
Bill long
marcomo
So why do you make your videos?confused smiley

I've ask the same question several times and got no answer. So I've come to the conclusion that it's all about recognition and celebrity. But I think I really realized that from the start of his posts and videos. What a shame because he has a lot to offer to this hobby. Having people skills is not being politically incorrect. But the lack of it can surely cause issues when you are attempting to sell what ever it is he's trying to sell. Just give me more metal detector videos from folks like Keith Southern, Daniel Teags, Hunter GT, and a host of others, that show me the attributes of a new detector, and even some of older ones, that's now available rather than show in his tests and opinion how much of a "DeadDog" yesterday's" detector is.

But I guess ole cal is getting some of what he needs simply by this little post. But I can assure this is the last. for me he's just here, on other forums, and on youtude to gain notoriety as the top dog relic, hunter/metal detectorist and to gain as many subscribers as he can. That's all he's doing. He just trying to be on top. He's even stated on a video that he was a master of the machine he was using. No one, and I mean no one is a master at anything. Good, very good, absolutely excellent yes, but master, absolutely not. No one is a master at anything. A lot to offer some of us folks, yes he does. But his presentation and plain to see ego, self advancement desires on this forum, and others and you tube just, well, just gives a big iron tone that I'm tired of diggin'.
My only post on this thread. Many of Calabash digger's posts are "interesting" in some ways, and some do point out a weakness or two for one or more models. However, I have to agree with Bill, and many others who have shared their feelings, that most videos seem to me more centered around 'self importance' rather than a true expression of why he likes to use what he likes to use. Heavens, there are a LOT of detectors I won't use for the very densely ferrous-plagued sites I most enjoy Relic Hunting where nails, other iron crap and an over-abundance of rusty tin will really test someone's patience.

In my current Regular-Use Detector Battery I have two new Fisher F44's, sporting a 7" Concentric and 4" Concentric. Two Omega 8000's that also have an 7" Concentric and 5" DD ready-to-go. I own and use them because I like them, and they have proven to be excellent performers for a lot of my detecting involvement. I have found old coins, military buttons, bullets and old rimfire cartridge cases, trade tokens and other desirables with the Omega 8000 that I used for 5+ years before at homesteads, encampment sites and ghost towns that have all presented 'iron' challenges. But I qualify those comments to people by stating I used them because I like the detector and coil I was using. And even though I enjoy the detector, I also know that it is not one of my preferred models for 'serious' Relic Hunting my favorite old sites, however I wanted to hunt with it anyway. I do it to better learn and understand a detector's strengths and weaknesses.

I've only had the opportunity to ghost town hunt once this year with my new-to-me F44 w/7" Concentric and, while it is not the best pick for unmasking keepers in really dense iron debris, it does have some tell-tale audio qualities that I learned and liked and it made some interesting finds and comforted me in knowing that it might not be the best Relic Hunting Detector' but it is usable if set up right and worked efficiently.

But when explaining what I use and why, my effort is to do just that ... Point out the WHY I use a detector for WHAT applications and not key in on some particular weakness that I feel a detector has for MY wants and needs, but not get ugly in a bashing or belittling manner about someone else's detector choice. Oh, I do get asked why I don't use a Garrett AT Pro or other AT series model. The answer is simple. I evaluated an AT Pro when they were first released. I have borrowed an AT Pro and AT Gold to do some comparisons I use with all makes and models, and I put in maybe an hour with an AT Max. I find their build quality to be acceptable, their search coil selection is OK, and they do offer some adjustment functions that I would use afield. The all work okay and being water proof gives them some added benefits.

They are what I consider to be an 'average' general-purpose detector, they handled some of my comparisons tests OK, and I found stuff with them. But for ME, I don't have a use/need for a waterproof detector. Due to limited mobility I prefer a lighter weight and better balanced detector. I don't care for the coil connector design, I found the VDI read-out to be on the smaller side and the gray-scale background made the display difficult for my bad eyes. I don't like some of the audio tones, or the Iron Audio feature, and I prefer a quicker-response and recovery.

I have friends who own, use and like their AT series models for what they do. The majority of them are urban Coin Hunters and sometimes they work a beach, but few of them are really devoted to Relic Hunting in terrible ferrous challenged environments. I don't set out to tell folks how terrible their detector choices are, but instead I like to tell them what I use and why I use them and just mention the points about a different model I don't like. I have several friends and hunting buddies who use the XP Deus and Minelab Equinox 800. They like them, and that's good. They have success with them, and that's wonderful. Personally, I don't like their feel and balance. I don't like their audio response. And I just don't feel they are a good 'fit' in my personal Detector Outfit, ... but if they like them and they work for them, that's a good thing.

I have the two F44's and two Omega 8000's and that's because I like them and they work for me .... FOR URBAN COIN & JEWELRY HUNTING. Not for Relic Hunting in dense iron. I also have my two favorite Tesoro models, a Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX and only use 6" Concentric coils on them. They are used for anything I want to do, be it Coin Hunting, Jewelry Hunting, or Relic Hunting a long forgotten old site ... and they work well. I have four specimens of my favorite two get-serious Relic Hunting detectors that I will use anywhere for any hunting, and are very proven performers in really nasty nail and other ferrous debris. Those are two Nokta FORS CoRe and two FORS Relic models. One of each sports their smallest DD coil, and the 2nd of each model has the mid-sized 5X9½ DD open-frame coil.

Is there a better Relic Hunting model than these two? Maybe, but I haven't found one yet that I like or would want in my Outfit. So I have models that Calabash or anyone else might want to find fault with, and that's their choice. I'd rather just hear about what they use, and why they like it for what it does. Day after tomorrow I'll be adding another old favorite version back in my Outfit, a Teknetics T2+. I've owned and used a half-dozen T2 versions and, overall, my favorite was the 'original' or the 'Classic', and only with the 5" DD coil for the heavily littered sites I hunt. It used to be my main-use relic hunting model until the Nokta CoRe got in my hands in January of '15 which soon thinned out almost all my detectors. I've had a couple of T2's since that others wanted and I let them go. This time, I wanted to check out the T2+ version and have one to keep in my Outfit to use, and also to have a decent-performing 'loaner unit' for someone to use who shows up on an Outing with a less-impressive performing model.

Sorry to ramble. My post can be ignored as easily as any. There's what I mainly use, and for what purposes. There are many other detectors out there that are very capable performers for many applications. I've chosen what I like. I can comment on why I don't like a particular model, but it's not my place to put down other's choices. We all have our reasons for using what we have, and I have changed my own mind many, many times over the past 5½ decades simply because I changed my mind based on personal use and NOT because someone else belittled what I liked to grab to hunt with.

I agree with many of the opinions on this thread. Now I'm done, and I am NOT a subscriber of anyone You Tube channels at the present.

Monte
February 09, 2019 06:47PM
I have been a reader of Mr. Monte since I discovered the forums and as always he makes a lot o sense.
February 09, 2019 07:54PM
Some like Monte paved the way for all of us in our hobby.
February 09, 2019 08:53PM
goodmore Wrote:
> Some like Monte paved the way for all of us in our
> hobby.

Amen to that!
February 09, 2019 10:16PM
One of the best things Monte does, is when he responds to a post, he breaks down each question, highlights it, and then answers that question with as much detail and explanation as he can. He also adds things like what he uses, the how and why, and sometimes gives a synopsis on when he was on a hunt site that has similar traits as what the original poster is inquiring about, and tells how he handled the situation.

He provides a wealth of knowledge and I always look forward to his answers.

Ditto to Tom D...when he has time !
February 09, 2019 10:42PM
therover61 Wrote:
> One of the best things Monte does, is when he resp
> onds to a post, he breaks down each question, high
> lights it, and then answers that question with as
> much detail and explanation as he can. He also add
> s things like what he uses, the how and why, and s
> ometimes gives a synopsis on when he was on a hunt
> site that has similar traits as what the original
> poster is inquiring about, and tells how he handle
> d the situation.
>
> He provides a wealth of knowledge and I always loo
> k forward to his answers.
>
> Ditto to Tom D...when he has time !

Yeah, Monte’s the man, Tom’s ok lol
February 10, 2019 01:26AM
While you guys were sitting around here pecking on the keyboard and kissing monte's tail I was out finding stuff today. I was out putting into practice what I preach!! BTW monte buy yourself a go pro and you can say in 5 seconds what it took you 5 minutes to write it is 2019 and the information age is here like it or not. How many of yhall experts found one of these today? You can see the live dig on my other post....BTW If your using a AT GOLD to relic hunt your leaving all kinds of stuff in the ground... I got to thinking you might want to see the live dig. Monte your my hero!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 01:35AM by calabash digger.
February 10, 2019 01:41AM
Nice find!!!
Hunting time always trumps time wasted behind a keyboard.

Dean
February 10, 2019 04:34AM
I hope y'all will excuse my language for just a moment.

If you're the kind of guy that likes to preach, ruffle feathers and stir sh!t up on a regular basis by putting down other forum members and/or their equipment it doesn't matter how many cool finds you post or how much you tout your own wisdom. At the end of the day you're still just a guy standing around preaching to yourself with a sh!t covered stick in your hand. I don't know about anyone else here but that's not exactly what I'd call wise.......I'm just saying...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 04:39AM by Chris Woods.
February 10, 2019 04:50AM
I really dont care what your saying their the ones that came over with the personal attacks. I just fired back at them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 04:53AM by calabash digger.
February 10, 2019 06:32AM
calabash digger Wrote:
> While you guys were sitting around here pecking on
> the keyboard and kissing monte's tail I was out fi
> nding stuff today. I was out putting into practice
> what I preach!! BTW monte buy yourself a go pro an
> d you can say in 5 seconds what it took you 5 minu
> tes to write it is 2019 and the information age is
> here like it or not. How many of yhall experts fou
> nd one of these today? You can see the live dig on
> my other post....BTW If your using a AT GOLD to re
> lic hunt your leaving all kinds of stuff in the gr
> ound... I got to thinking you might want to see th
> e live dig. Mont
> e your my hero!!!

>

Well...some of us “experts” WOULD be out finding stuff like that, however can’t when the ground is frozen!

Good grief...

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 06:32AM by Aaron.