Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detecting in Tenn.

Posted by Beach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detecting in Tenn.
February 06, 2019 10:07PM
Finally getting back to it after 2 years of shoulder rehab. and I have been camping and visiting my daughter in the Jonesborough area each summer for a couple years now, would like to do some detecting there. Can anyone please advise about any restrictions to detecting on public land, state or county. Thanks
Re: Detecting in Tenn.
February 06, 2019 11:45PM
Ole' Daniel would know.
February 07, 2019 12:24AM
[www.mdhtalk.org]

When in doubt as far as public property,,,ask!!!

Corps of engineers property you are restricted to beach areas. And to do in non peak useage times as far as other folks using.
February 07, 2019 03:19AM
I live and detect in East Tennessee and it's been my experience that if you avoid all national parks as well as any area that might be remotely considered to have any archeological value you should be good to go. I worked for the Knox County Dept. of Parks and Recreation many years ago and all city and county parks were, and to the extent of my knowledge still are, fair game. If the county Park Patrol officers approach you just be polite and shoot straight with them. The worst that should happen will be them telling you that the area you're in is off limits. The guys around here will even tell you about legal public properties where they've seen others detect.

The page that Daniel's link takes you to is a great resource. I've copied and pasted the info that to me seems most pertinent to your question.

The Army Corps of Engineers section states:
"(d) The use of metal detectors is permitted on designated beaches or other previously disturbed areas unless prohibited by the District Commander for reasons of protection of archaeological, historical or paleontological resources. Specific information regarding metal detector policy and designated use areas is available at the Manager's Office."

The Bureau of Land Management section states:
"Metal detecting is a recreational activity that people do to find coins, jewelry, and precious metals.  Metal detecting is allowed on BLM lands as long as no artifacts are removed.  Artifacts should be left alone and reported to the appropriate Field Office.  Avoid all cultural and archeological sites.  The Metal Detecting enthusiast may remove some rocks (handful) from areas such as picnic areas, campground areas, and recreational sites.  The enthusiasts may remove some rocks as long as there not being removed from another mining claim.  Mining claims can be researched on the LR2000 (http://www.blm.gov/lr2000).   Enthusiasts are only allowed to make minimal surface disturbance (i.e. removing a couple of stones for memories)."

The USDA Forest Service Manual Direction (draft) states:
"Metal Detector Use. Metal detectors may be used on public lands in areas that do not contain or would not reasonably be expected to contain archaeological or historical resources. They must be used, however, for lawful purposes. Any act with a metal detector that violates the proscriptions of the Archaeological Resources Protection Act (ARPA) or any other law is prosecutable. Normally, developed campgrounds, swimming beaches, and other developed recreation sites are open to metal detecting unless there are heritage resources present. In such cases, Forest Supervisors are authorized to close these sites by posting notices in such sites."

National Parks, Monuments, Seashores, Forests, and Public Property says STAY OUT. Again this is my interpretation of their laws so you might want to research it more but to me it's stated pretty clearly.

Good luck and HH!