Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab Sovereign question

Posted by coinspader 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Minelab Sovereign question
February 08, 2019 05:00AM
Do any of you wise gentlemen know if the stock meter on a Sovereign XS-2 Pro is resistant to rain? I have a hip mount bag for the control box but the meter is on the stem and I need to know if I have to remove it to hunt in the rain.
Re: Minelab Sovereign question
February 08, 2019 05:04AM
I would guess no.

Rick
February 08, 2019 08:29AM
Hello spader,

No, it's not.
In Service the majority that came in for repair had ben water damaged with rain being the main culprit (not sea water)
Where the front 'decal' meets the square design, this provides a thin lined area for water to leak into the interior of the meter housing.

What became apparent after several years of servicing these items was, the 'decal's' became obsolete so even if the meter could be saved there were no new 'decal's to fit as the repair involved stripping off the old decal as there wasn't any other way into the housing.

That made the meter's scarce and they are even more so now in working condition because most are 10-15-20yrs old.
February 08, 2019 09:15AM
Thanks Des, I will make sure I take good care of this one.
February 08, 2019 02:16PM
"Coinspader (sorry I misspelled your handle-was thinking of the actor James Spader hah hah)

Once the coloured front decal gets peeled back and, it takes an awful amount of exertion to tale it off, by virtue of doing that it bends and obviously loses its adhesive qualities completely.
So a DTI meter once ripped open cannot be "fixed properly" unless a new front decal is available. While I am sure there might still be a few front decals laying around in existing Minelab Service Centres, my guess is there is a good chance of finding one / them in a service centre that was canned and has 'gone out of business!'
And, there were 3 different Sovereign Digital Identification Meter models from 1998 - 2008: Sov XS, XS Pro, GT
The DTI meter for the XS Pro and the Elite were the same.

It was kinda ironic but, [ a good few of them that had been used under protective covers ] displayed the most damaged innards (from moisture building-up over time)

Thru the last several years,I have obtained, bought, sold and traded a lot of them and there always seems to be a good demand for them no matter the condition anywhere between USD$45-USD$100"
(currently am out of them)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 02:19PM by Des D.
February 08, 2019 04:28PM
Simply no its not....
February 09, 2019 03:59PM
There was a cover made for this meter. I'm pretty sure Minelab made it,but very hard to find.
February 10, 2019 01:21PM
no you can use Pro-tectors Covers but keep in mind those are good for a little rain, if you want full protection , put the unit in a plastic bag or a food bag, and the unit must be detached from the rod but the pro-tector covers allow you to have it around your neck.

The only sovereign unit that is waterproof is an excalibur =)
February 10, 2019 01:58PM
Never used my meter on any of the Sov. I owned or still have.
February 12, 2019 01:26AM
btw same adress pro-tectors for the meter i got a cover for both i own the sovereign gt meter. the meter is usefull to prolongate the wire of the coil ... ive got a really short coil cable on mine who was chopped fixed etc, i would have used it more often if i could the thing is , its not possible to use the meter when you mount the control box around your neck haha .
February 12, 2019 02:03AM
No not rain resistant.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla