Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CTX worth

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CTX worth
February 11, 2019 11:25PM
I have to ask.....what are CTXs worth now days? She’s about 5 years old....has the larger capacity battery, new coil cover, and 17” coil which wasn’t used very often. Almost all it’s life has been in the salt water with a 2.5mm O ring so she’s never leaked. It’s got the win and the headphones aren’t pretty but they are a pair of the first Harold made so great sound with the speakers. No one seems interested at $1400....am I that far out of the ball park? Oh ya one guy offered me $800.....surly the Nox sales haven’t killed resale.
Re: CTX worth
February 11, 2019 11:37PM
Both 11" stock & 17" coil Dew?-----I so, that price ($1400) sounds reasonable/in the ball park.-----Yeah, I bet that guy WOULD like to get it for $800--tell him to "dream on"!
February 11, 2019 11:39PM
Dew,

You’ve probably already checked Feebay, but what little used sales I’m seeing are between $1600-$2200

No man, $800 is giving that machine away.

Considered selling mine too, but still has a place in the arsenal w the EQX

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2019 11:41PM by Aaron.
February 12, 2019 12:21AM
Yes both coils. Ive seen where a couple of hundred people have viewed it. Look like freeway might be the way to go.
February 12, 2019 01:09AM
1100$ is a fair price, but yeah prefer method like local add, craiglist and so on , because ebay is really feebay like somebody said they will cream a lot of cash from you...
February 12, 2019 01:44AM
youdig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1100$ is a fair price, but yeah prefer method like
> local add, craiglist and so on , because ebay is r
> eally feebay like somebody said they will cream a
> lot of cash from you...

Between Ebay and PayPal your looking at 10%

Dews machine is going to sell for at least $1500. if it’s still in good shape.

Start it at .99, set the reserve at $1500. Their gonna charge you more for Buy it Now.

Most of the machines I’ve sold go to Europe and Ebay s made it easier for overseas shipping you just send it to their place in Kentucky, they do the rest.

Beware of buyers (overseas) who want you to send it directly to them. This is another way they can steal the machine and file a claim with PayPal saying they didn’t get it, then your double boned!

Of course Ebay will tell you as long as your sending to the address they provided your covered.

Your not.

What Ebay doesn’t tell you is you have to take that up w the overseas post office, yeah right!

Just always ship to eBays hub in Kentucky, their responsibility from there.

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 01:57AM by Aaron.
February 12, 2019 02:39AM
Dew, Ebay will charge 10% for the total proceeds you receive including the cost of shipping if you break out the cost. I just include free shipping with my sales. Paypal charges 3%. So you will lose 13% upfront. Shipping cost can be kind of high from 30-60$. You need to have insurance and signature to protect yourself. I never sold over seas and I refuse to sell over seas since I was almost scammed by a seller who claimed they shipped from Seattle but had a return address of a place in Canada. The cost to post is free at least for me. I get free offers every month so you can have a buy it now price and accept best offers. I think there is a cost for a reserve price.
February 12, 2019 02:48AM
Yes, correct most of the time overseas buyers CLAIM to live here in the US, eBay has know way of really knowing.

Even when you post “no overseas buyers” their still gonna bid. As long as you send it to Ebay in Kentucky, they will take the rest of the way overseas taking responsibility

Aaron
February 12, 2019 02:56AM
I paid $865 for the one I have now, 6 years old and has a small blem on the screen. The battery lasts longer than I can hunt and it came all the stuff plus Andy's book. There's one on Facebook buy and sell for $1040, still hasn't sold after 3 days. A dealer has one listed, 2 weeks old, he's asking $1699. There's one listed on Friendly Forum, still has 6 months warranty, comes with Tony Eisenhower muffs, 17, 11, AND 6" coils, he's asking 1500 OBO with no takers after 6 days, that would be unheard of before the Nox. The prices seem to all over the place since the Nox came out, good for buyers, not so much for sellers. It could also have something to do with it being in the middle of winter, if you're in no hurry to sell it, you might wait until spring when more guys are getting out hunting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 03:14AM by Dan(NM).
February 12, 2019 03:06AM
To answer your question.....might try and sell one of the coils seperate....if it sells you can offer the CTX for little less than $1400. Selling on FeeBay is closer to 15% (Ebay + Paypal fees) especially if you add in your time, gas, shipping materials, and shipping cost. With FeeBay it is a Buyers market and any problems including a buyers change-of-mind will end up in a refund including shipping. All your time and work, then you eat the shipping cost.....somehow not worth it. Feedback is also in the hands of the Buyer.
February 12, 2019 04:30AM
Yeah people just spent money on XMas and haven’t gotten their tax refund yet. The people who wanted one and could afford it already have one. The ones who want one but must wait til money falls in their lap are your buyers. Be patient. Just because it isn’t worth 5 cents to one guy doesn’t mean it’s not worth squat. Just gotta wait for the customer to come to you. The fact it’s been saltwater hunting it’s whole life will scare some off,regardless of care taken. Honestly,it would scare me off....nothing personal Dew,you know that I hope!smiling smiley
It’ll always be the pinnacle of coin hunting machines amongst what’s out there now for ME. A lot of people would like to have it,I’m sure. Just don’t give it away unless you’re forced to.
February 12, 2019 06:08AM
Dew. Being out of warranty AND having spent most of its life in the saltwater is a major turnoff for buyers wanting a ctx. Most of the ones with no warranty left that I’ve seen sell haven’t brought much over $1000 and some even less. You’d probably do better splitting the package up/selling the machine with stock coil and any others separately as well as any accessories.
February 12, 2019 09:42AM
Thanks guys ...... you are right it is dead of winter. I think ill pass on Ebay ..... just hang onto it for now. Got a couple of Blue Xcals with mods too....... looks like ill just keep them all until i get tired of looking at um lol.
February 12, 2019 11:59AM
Aaron Wrote:
> Yes, correct most of the time overseas buyers CLAI
> M to live here in the US, eBay has know way of rea
> lly knowing
>
> Even when you post “no overseas buyers” their stil
> l gonna bid. As long as you send it to Ebay in Ken
> tucky, they will take the rest of the way overseas
> taking responsibility
>
>
>
> Aaron

Just to keep you in the loop Aaron

You do realize that MANY overseas buyers have US Mailing addresses right? Their
own countries postal service sets this up for their customers so that it makes it
EASIER for the buyer to access US made and sold products via cheaper shipping costs,
consolidate products etc BUT more importantly IDENTIFY the purchaser -

This is a safeguard for sellers_Also I clearly state to my sellers that their responsibility for
the product ends when it arrives at my US shipping address NOT my delivery address
here in NZ. I have no idea whether others do this but this is how I roll_If it turns to
custard between the US and here, that's on me. The risk I am prepared to take & so
far, not a problem -

Nothing untoward there_I will add_I have purchased over 50+ (used) detectors over
the years from the USA and have never had an issue with any of the sellers we
could not amicably resolve nor have I ever thought of ripping anyone off. You seem to
imply that selling to someone overseas is of high risk and not worth the effort &
that is your choice but it could not be further from the truth. I have met some real honorable
and credible people through these transactions and if i can get my dollars directly into
American hands I will -

A lot of guys from overseas WILL bend over backwards when it comes to purchasing your
gear. MOST are NOT scammers many are addicted metal detecting enthusiasts trying to get
good quality US made gear -

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
February 12, 2019 01:33PM
rustic charm,

I’m not sure you understand my point Sir. And please understand I’m not implying nor stating that overseas buyiers are all dishonest.

I’m simply stating that one needs to exercise caution when selling overseas. I too have sold many items including metal detectors overseas, and have been scammed by one and know

others who have been.

Regardless of wether or not a overseas buyer has a US address makes no difference to me if they are asking you to by pass eBays GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM and ship directly to

them.

And that’s my point. eBays GSP program is a protection for both parties. And it’s easy. You print out a Priority Mail label, mail it down to Kentucky, done.

The last 2 machines I sold last Fall had the exact same issues, even after I had stated “no overseas bidders” Overseas buyers bid anyway, then both complained they didn’t like how much

Ebay was charging them for the GSP. Who’s fault is that? So then they ask for me to ship it to them direct, as if that’s going to be any cheaper because the only way USPS will ship overseas

with insurance is EXPRESS MAIL, as if that’s gonna be any cheaper. And don’t forget about having to fill out the paperwork and then drive it to the post office.

Thanks, Aaron

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 02:38PM by Aaron.
February 12, 2019 10:49PM
The problem is not about selling overseas , you need to be carefull if you sell with paypal no matter where !
( btw when somebody in europe buy something from the us they have to pay the custom fee and the higher the price the higher the fee , and its damn expensive ! almost 50% of the product price).

I sold my tdi sl on ebay ... the guy won the bid and choose to pay by paypal i dont know how , but he got checked by paypal and they told me to wait 2 week before sending the gear ...
Guess what when this period finished i didnt receive the cash !

So i put again the gear in auction and the guy did it again , depsite signaling the guy the first time he was still here and not banned using the same paypal but another ebay account !
The best part is , ebay toke me the fee for that ! and they didnt gave a damn !! they hide behind the fact paypal is a sole entity ...
Ebay is not really clear and when you get screwed its really hard to find the right answer , after few mail and few call i finaly got a refunded 3 month later for twice the ebay fee because no matter if you sell or not the item when somebody won the bid they consider the item sold.

There a lot of way to scam on paypal and paypal alway favor the buyer, no matter what proof you can give.
There is some really nasty story all around the web about that.

So use craiglist cash on hand , its still the best way to sell , no hidden fee , no bullshit.

ps: i sold the tdi sl one year later by this way with the equivalent of craiglist in france which called leboncoin.fr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 10:50PM by youdig.
February 12, 2019 10:50PM
No worries Aaron

Thank you thumbs down

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
February 13, 2019 04:43PM
...probably one of the hardest detectors to put a Used second hand value on! (ever since the NOX was announced IMHO that affected the 'perceived' value/s)
February 13, 2019 05:57PM
I agree Des..... and for those who paid dearly for it upgraded the battery and bought a coil or two we kind of panic when we get offers in the $800 dollar range. But at least as a beach guy mine is well paid for. I’m seeing Xcals really come down too. One today on Craig’s list $500.
February 13, 2019 06:22PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> I agree Des..... and for those who paid dearly for
> it upgraded the battery and bought a coil or two w
> e kind of panic when we get offers in the $800 dol
> lar range. But at least as a beach guy mine is we
> ll paid for. I’m seeing Xcals really come down t
> oo. One today on Craig’s list $500.

Sorry, I guess I’m a little behind the times...

What’s up w the upgraded battery?

I never had a problem w mine and it’s the original one I bought when the CTX came out.

Aaron
February 13, 2019 06:25PM
The Equinox has killed the used market for every model of detector. I have enjoyed MD going on 10 years now and have never seen used detectors at these prices. Your price is more than fair, it's just the market. I have several that I would like to sell mainly because of the weight. I can't swing the heavier detectors like I use to and I don't like to use a harness. So I will keep them if I can't get a fair price. It might take a little longer but someone will purchase your detector especially with all the goodies......
February 13, 2019 06:35PM
I bought one some time back for a 1000.00 like new.
February 13, 2019 08:47PM
CLabash...did it have the large coil and larger capacity battery which is new? Looks like I need to hold onto it for a few more months.
February 13, 2019 09:40PM
No just had the stock but it was a VERY clean machine. The Equinox has changed the game on the used market across the board now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2019 09:41PM by calabash digger.
February 14, 2019 02:16AM
Since Equinox the rest is worth peanuts.
As I’m out of detecting for the moment sold 2 nox units which didn’t take a blink of an eye.
But kept the rest.

The Nox in disc goes BEEP at you and finds small gold at the beach.
Great unit but aren’t we kidding ourselves just that little bit :-)

X-terra 705 has gold mode with selectable frequency due to coil change. Freaky deep in dry sand.
CZ21 hits the smallish gold with a vengeance at the high tide mark.
CTX slams the old coins and rings in the waves.
SDC will clean up that productive spot if needed.

Nox is Minelabs answer to the Deus. Fast, light, good on small gold and multifrequency.
What is not to love,... but the above machines will outperform it for MY INTENTIONS in hunting at the beach.
And those are,... get the good stuff,... leave the rest for the other guys :-)

I’m probably getting set in my ways,...

HH
Johnb
February 14, 2019 03:39AM
They are like anything else...you can ask a certain price and hope you get it but in the end, it's only worth what somebody is willing to give for it. And that seems to vary quite a bit, not only because of the usual age and condition but a history of in water use...and saltwater use too tends to make a big difference The land use only machines with warranty left will always sell for more than their water use brothers. The last one I had still had lots of warranty left, had the stock coil, 6 inch coil, CoilTek 14" elliptical coil, and 17" coil, extra lower rods, waterproof headphones plus all the stock stuff. I was asking $1,650 for it as a package and did not get that for it. I had to part most of the stuff out. The water use and especially salt water use machines always go for much less, unless the seller doesn't disclose that info...but it almost always gets asked. Out of warranty makes em take a hit as well, especially with the CTXs having a history of screens going bad.
February 14, 2019 10:23AM
You maybe right John....... but why have all those machine if the Nox performs just as well in all those situations at a great price and warranty? Count the dollars there to have all those separate machines. MLs claim to obsolete other VLFs in a way is true....... we are putting down a lot of our other machines for various modes of hunting....... heck we cant even sell them for the price of a Nox. Daniel...... nothing to disagree with there. Not sure id like to be a dealer right now....... ouch.
February 14, 2019 10:46AM
Nothing wrong with the Nox,... I'm just craved a modern Excalibur.
Hunt in all Metal, flip the switch, disc provides more info.

But again,... that's just me,... and sometimes I'm pretty akward.
Or Backwards like the other half persists ;-)

dewcon4414 Wrote:
> You maybe right John....... but why have all those
> machine if the Nox performs just as well in all th
> ose situations at a great price and warranty? Co
> unt the dollars there to have all those separate m
> achines. MLs claim to obsolete other VLFs in a w
> ay is true....... we are putting down a lot of our
> other machines for various modes of hunting.......
> heck we cant even sell them for the price of a Nox
> . Daniel...... nothing to disagree with there.
> Not sure id like to be a dealer right now....... o
> uch.

HH
Johnb
February 14, 2019 11:19AM
John i hear you ..... ive got some blues modified. Odd isnt it how any water machine is compared to what machine........ the Xcal? But like i said ...... even those are taking a serious hit on resale now.
February 14, 2019 01:49PM
I sold mine on feebay last May. Early spring/summer seem to be the 'hot' times to sell. I had the 2016 version of the CTX with standard coil, 17'' coil, grey ghost underwater headphones, and about 9 months of warranty. I listed it for $1100 and it sold for $1925. Kinda funny because my original buy now was $1500. I didn't sell it because of the EQX though even though I had my new EQX at the time. My plan when I bought it was to keep for 2 yrs then sell when there was still warranty left over to hold a higher resale.

As far as the EQX killing resale, I get it, though I much preferred hunting with the all metal of the CZ21/Excal to the beeps of the CTX/EQX. If either of those machines were as light as the EQX I wouldn't have the EQX.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2019 01:54PM by adamBomb.